Found Deceased NY - Joseph Comunale, 26, Manhattan, 12 Nov 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when people launch very quick missing investigations, it's because it's very out of character for the person to not be in touch with anyone under the circumstances. I remember the case of Tim Bosma, his wife phoned police within a couple of hours of his not coming back from a test drive he went on with strangers.

JC never went back to Stamford the next day to pick up his phone like he said he would, never contacted friends or family, perhaps had an event he missed on Sunday which he would never miss without letting people know.

I think the Stamford officer tracked down Rackover primarily through the social media network: for example if one of JC's friends were Facebook friends with another person who knew the name of one of the girls, and who could find instagram photos that referred him to another person who had her phone number, etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I think when people launch very quick missing investigations, it's because it's very out of character for the person to not be in touch with anyone under the circumstances. I remember the case of Tim Bosma, his wife phoned police within a couple of hours of his not coming back from a test drive he went on with strangers.

JC never went back to Stamford the next day to pick up his phone like he said he would, never contacted friends or family, perhaps had an event he missed on Sunday which he would never miss without letting people know.

I think the Stamford officer tracked down Rackover primarily through the social media network: for example if one of JC's friends were Facebook friends with another person who knew the name of one of the girls, and who could find instagram photos that referred him to another person who had her phone number, etc.

A husband not coming home from a test drive is more alarming than a 20-something single guy not being home on a Sunday after a Saturday night party.

Well, whatever the case, I'm glad the call was early enough that the perps were caught (and of course wish the outcome was that JC went home safely).

jmo

I believe that this investigation ramped quickly because of the relative on the job, the friends saying he left with the others and gave a friend the phone. What is not be disclosed is if there was drugs involved. The family might have gotten their LEO relative in gear if the friends who left him talked about drugs that were being used at the night club or probable use in the place he was going. (We know that many families of LEO can get things moving quickly when they are in need.)

If my friend was not home early on Sunday after leaving with unknown folks at a bar, I would be very worried. I would be totally panicked if I knew he/she was using drugs like ecstasy or coke.

I believe that this investigation ramped quickly because of the relative on the job, the friends saying he left with the others and gave a friend the phone. What is not be disclosed is if there was drugs involved. The family might have gotten their LEO relative in gear if the friends who left him talked about drugs that were being used at the night club or probable use in the place he was going. (We know that many families of LEO can get things moving quickly when they are in need.)

If my friend was not home early on Sunday after leaving with unknown folks at a bar, I would be very worried. I would be totally panicked if I knew he/she was using drugs like ecstasy or coke.

But were they unknown folks??

For discussion sake, let's say the father did put a surveillance device on JC...what would cause the family alarm at finding out he was a Rackover's place? And why would that concern be so great that they got LE involved?

Just because Joey is at some guy's apartment in Manhattan, the family feels the need to call LE?

I don't get it.

Of course, it turns out they were right - Joey was indeed in danger. How did they know?

jmo

Excellent thoughts and even better questions inthedetails.

I'm not a parent so I'm probably not the most qualified to even speculate as to why a parent would be alarmed if their adult child did not return to his own home on a Saturday night.

I would guess that there's a history of concerning behavior that would cause a parent to keep an adult child on a short leash, but like I said I'm totally not qualified to understand a parent's mindset.

My initial speculation about a geo locator was made because it was really the only explanation I could come up with that might explain how the retired cop even knew to contact Rackover about Joseph. (The Jersey girls he somehow found didn't even know James' address, location of building, etc)

And the retired cop's timeline really bothers me because it's completely inaccurate. I mean he's taking credit for things that occurred before he even knew Joseph was missing (re: his phone call caused them to remove the body from the apartment).

It's just...really strange.

I notice inconsistency in media reports about when JC was reported missing. The NY Times reported 'late on Sunday' https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/...-man-leads-to-a-body-found-in-new-jersey.html , the Post reports Monday morning (The Daily Mail says Tuesday am). It's possible the case was reported to the NY police on Monday, but the Stamford officer took it on Sunday evening, maybe as a favour to a VIP, and maybe it was a quiet night.

If he tracked down Rackover's phone number by around 8-9 pm Sunday, that would match with Rackover's driving through the bridge with the body after 10 pm.

I notice inconsistency in media reports about when JC was reported missing. The NY Times reported 'late on Sunday' https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/...-man-leads-to-a-body-found-in-new-jersey.html , the Post reports Monday morning (The Daily Mail says Tuesday am). It's possible the case was reported to the NY police on Monday, but the Stamford officer took it on Sunday evening, maybe as a favour to a VIP, and maybe it was a quiet night.

If he tracked down Rackover's phone number by around 8-9 pm Sunday, that would match with Rackover's driving through the bridge with the body after 10 pm.

Wow! You're right. I never noticed that there was a discrepancy about when he was reported missing from very credible news sources.

Do we know if Pat Comunale has said when he reported him missing in any of the TV interviews he did?

Stamford police said he was reported missing by his father Monday morning.*
Source: ABC News
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....bbing-death-joseph-comunale/story?id=43604105

Joseph Comunale, of Stamford, was reported missing on Monday*
Source: NY Post
https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.c...after-attending-midtown-party-found-dead/amp/

The Westhill High graduate’s family reported their son missing at Stamford police headquarters early Sunday evening after they had not heard from him all day.
Source: Stamford Advocate
https://www.google.com/amp/www.stam...ford-man-missing-after-NYC-party-10617618.php

Comunale was reported missing Tuesday after going with friends to Manhattan.*
Source: Hartford Currant
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cour...ale-death-follow-1118-20161117-story,amp.html

On Monday morning, Comunale was reported missing by his father.
Source: NY Daily News.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...play-man-vanished-nyc-party-article-1.2874483

IMO Joey knew JR. IMO Joey's family knows JR.

IMO Once it was known who Joey was with that night, alarms went off.

Which would mean we're missing a big ol' chunk of information.

jmopinion at the moment

100%!

I just can't get past JC giving his phone to his friend for the night. If he was "hiding", all he had to do was put it on airplane mode.

100%!

I just can't get past JC giving his phone to his friend for the night. If he was "hiding", all he had to do was put it on airplane mode.

Yes but not if he wanted to appear as if he were back in CT.

Yes but not if he wanted to appear as if he were back in CT.
I agree, this looks to me like he was actively creating a false trail of his movements, not just keeping them private.

To me, that's what makes it more likely friends/family would be alarmed about his failure to show up and collect his phone, since that busted open the fiction he'd clearly wanted to maintain, that he'd gone home with his friend and stayed over at their place.

IMO Joey knew JR. IMO Joey's family knows JR.

IMO Once it was known who Joey was with that night, alarms went off.

In the way this is written, it seems nobody knew the whereabouts of Joey until the officer began his search. But it's not revealed how the officer learned that Joey gave his phone to friends but considering his investigation, learning the connection to JR came later.

Notice the curious reference to "LD's apartment".

"The officer’s first calls were to the friends with whom Comunale traveled into New York City and he learned that Comunale stayed in town after meeting Dilione and two women, while his friends returned to Stamford. He also found out that Comunale gave his phone to one of those friends, so pinging it in order to find him was out of the question.
“Unfortunately this is where it goes bad,” McGowan said. “where Joey then tells his friend, ‘I’m staying out. I’ll get my phone from you tomorrow. I met this guy and these girls and we are going back to his apartment to hang out.’”
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/pol...d-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

I think you're referring to JC and LD going downstairs from Rackover's apartment, to see the women into a cab, and then going back up. It's really too bad JC didn't decide to go home at that point as well.

For discussion sake, let's say the father did put a surveillance device on JC...what would cause the family alarm at finding out he was a Rackover's place? And why would that concern be so great that they got LE involved?

Just because Joey is at some guy's apartment in Manhattan, the family feels the need to call LE?

I don't get it.

Of course, it turns out they were right - Joey was indeed in danger. How did they know?

jmo

Was this kid an undercover cop or informant?
Sorry if this is off kilter I have only read the last few pages but something here sounds likesomething out of Goodfellow.
If his father had a surveillance on his son so.something was up.
Jmo

In the way this is written, it seems nobody knew the whereabouts of Joey until the officer began his search. But it's not revealed how the officer learned that Joey gave his phone to friends but considering his investigation, learning the connection to JR came later.

"The officer’s first calls were to the friends with whom Comunale traveled into New York City and he learned that Comunale stayed in town after meeting Dilione and two women, while his friends returned to Stamford. He also found out that Comunale gave his phone to one of those friends, so pinging it in order to find him was out of the question.
“Unfortunately this is where it goes bad,” McGowan said. “where Joey then tells his friend, ‘I’m staying out. I’ll get my phone from you tomorrow. I met this guy and these girls and we are going back to his apartment to hang out.’”
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/pol...d-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

Did he give the.phone to his friends knowing he. Was in serious trouble and hoping someone noticed.

McGowan said. “where Joey then tells his friend, ‘I’m staying out. I’ll get my phone from you tomorrow. I met this guy and these girls and we are going back to his apartment to hang out.’”
McGowan kept digging and came up with the phone numbers of the women, who told him that they last saw Comunale in front of the apartment building after he and Dilione walked them down to a car.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policereports/article/Stamford-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

How the heck does he find the numbers of those random people from NJ?! Unless Joeys friends from CT got the numbers that night, but that is not what the article makes it sound like. Someone knew somebody from beforehand, and we just do not know? I think there is some connection we do not know about between these unnamed friends. IMOO

McGowan said. “where Joey then tells his friend, ‘I’m staying out. I’ll get my phone from you tomorrow. I met this guy and these girls and we are going back to his apartment to hang out.’”
McGowan kept digging and came up with the phone numbers of the women, who told him that they last saw Comunale in front of the apartment building after he and Dilione walked them down to a car.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/policereports/article/Stamford-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

How the heck does he find the numbers of those random people from NJ?! Unless Joeys friends from CT got the numbers that night, but that is not what the article makes it sound like. Someone knew somebody from beforehand, and we just do not know? I think there is some connection we do not know about between these unnamed friends. IMOO

BBM

Definitely. They knew each other. The CT friends and NYC friends. Hofstra friends. This was not some random person JC decided to go party with.

BBM

Definitely. They knew each other. The CT friends and NYC friends. Hofstra friends. This was not some random person JC decided to go party with.
CT Friends: The people Comunale went with to NYC?

NYC Friends: Dilione & Gemma?

Hofstra Friends: ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that the Jersey girls had just met Comunale and his CT & NYC folks that night. Were the Jersey girls friends from Hofstra?

I'd be interested in understanding why you suspect that the Comunale family is familiar with Rackover. Might the elder Rackover have been a client of *TRI-ED*(security company that Pat Comunale runs)?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughtful feedback.

I think you're referring to JC and LD going downstairs from Rackover's apartment, to see the women into a cab, and then going back up. It's really too bad JC didn't decide to go home at that point as well.

No, I'm referring to the quote that I linked. "This guy" is singular, referring to LD.

“Unfortunately this is where it goes bad,” McGowan said. “where Joey then tells his friend, ‘I’m staying out. I’ll get my phone from you tomorrow. I met this guy and these girls and we are going back to his apartment to hang out."

My point is "his apartment" it's a curious reference. It opens up the possibility that LD and JR were close enough that he considered JR's apartment to be his.

More from above link --
"When he reached Rackover and asked for his address, McGowan said the suspect became defensive, saying it wasn’t his idea to bring the party back to his apartment."

If I recall correctly, there's conflicting media reports about where JR spend that Saturday evening. But the above quotes make it appear he was not with the group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members