NY NY - Sneha Ann Philip, 31, New York City, 10 Sep 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I also work in healthcare and have seen many, many nurses and doctors undergo substance abuse treatment. You get a much shorter leash to deal with these issue when you are still a resident.

I think we are arguing semantics. In a residency, a “bad doctor” can easily be defined as showing up late, documenting poorly or not at all and accusing a co-worker, senior, well-respected doctor with an impeccable record, of sexual harassment so loudly and vehemently that she is arrested for filing a false police report. All of these are documented in court records.

She was complicated. She was likely brilliant but also struggling and difficult.
I'm actually not arguing semantics on whether she had issues or not, because she clearly did. IMO, she had issues and did some stupid things but those had no bearing on her skills as a doctor. Nor would they have had any bearing on her willingness to help out victims at Ground Zero.

I guess in my head, like Det. Stark, if it was her in the lobby video, she likely ran to help and perished.

She wasn't terminated, she was non renewed and that is a substantial difference. She immediately got another residency as well.

It isn't substantially different. In residency, you match for the entirety of the training (with the exception of a few specialties in which you do one year in general/internal medicine then the rest of your years in a specialty). If your contract is not renewed, it means that you are terminated. This isn't a regular job. It's like a required apprenticeship. Contract non-renewal = termination.

Last edited:
I paid for the entire court transcript of the appellate case because I wanted to learn what testimony was given which caused them to rule her a 9/11 victim. It is much more expansive than the final ruling, of course, because it includes all of the testimony given in this case.

They relied on preponderance of evidence which is why they ruled the way that they did. I'll paraphrase the testimony. There was zero evidence she died on 9/10. The NYPD was adamant her body would have been found if she had. There was also zero evidence, and in fact evidence to the contrary, of her fleeing and pulling a gone girl. The evidence was that she was a medical doctor, that she was thought to be nearby Ground Zero, and that some civilians were let in as first responders. Her personal issues were considered hearsay and Bogatin also downplayed her issues as minor. Even the NYPD testified she likely died there, in spite of all the drama from the family.

Here's the kicker on DNA. She might have already been ID'ed and we don't know. Last year a couple of people were ID'ed through DNA and one of the families declined to release the name of the deceased.
Well, we know the family that declined to release the name of the deceased definitely wasn't Sneha's family.

I'm actually not arguing semantics on whether she had issues or not, because she clearly did. IMO, she had issues and did some stupid things but those had no bearing on her skills as a doctor. Nor would they have had any bearing on her willingness to help out victims at Ground Zero.

I guess in my head, like Det. Stark, if it was her in the lobby video, she likely ran to help and perished.
We pretty much believe the same thing. I’m just weighing the totality of these factors more heavily than you: she felt pressure from family to be a doctor and perhaps was barely resigned to that career, she seemed self-absorbed and not dedicated to keeping or excelling in her profession and not one person ever reported seeing an attractive young doctor trying to help as the Towers were falling. But sure, she could have run in there to help. Ron not being sure the video was her, in spite of it making the story fit better, and wondering where those bags went make me less certain the video was actually her.

I waver in my opinion because there is no evidence of anything, but I think she may have died in the Marriott hotel. I personally think she would have slept in on her day off, based on her normal behavior.

We pretty much believe the same thing. I’m just weighing the totality of these factors more heavily than you: she felt pressure from family to be a doctor and perhaps was barely resigned to that career, she seemed self-absorbed and not dedicated to keeping or excelling in her profession and not one person ever reported seeing an attractive young doctor trying to help as the Towers were falling. But sure, she could have run in there to help. Ron not being sure the video was her, in spite of it making the story fit better, and wondering where those bags went make me less certain the video was actually her.

I waver in my opinion because there is no evidence of anything, but I think she may have died in the Marriott hotel. I personally think she would have slept in on her day off, based on her normal behavior.
The missing bags don't concern me at all. I visited NYC shortly after the attacks and the whole city was in disarray. The bags could have been left in the Rector Place lobby, and later stolen or discarded, before anybody realized their significance. Or they were left at wherever she spent the night, so if it was the Marriott they were destroyed.

Every time they have spoken publicly at any time, including by lying repeatedly in the media, they wanted her to be included as a 9/11 victim. Why would they shield their final proof from the public? It would go against how they have behaved since day one. My opinion.
They don't talk about her anymore. I think that ship has sailed for them. I wouldn't be surprised if she was ID'ed and her name not released. She has already been declared and 9/11 victim and rehashing her story has to be old for the family. Plus her mother is very elderly, she may not be all there anymore so it is solely up to Ron. And he has his own family now out in California. JMO

It isn't substantially different. In residency, you match for the entirety of the training (with the exception of a few specialties in which you do one year in general/internal medicine then the rest of your years in a specialty). If your contract is not renewed, it means that you are terminated. This isn't a regular job. It's like a required apprenticeship. Contract non-renewal = termination.
And yet she immediately got another residency.

And yet she immediately got another residency.

I haven't kept up with the media on her case so I don't know how quickly she got another residency or how that came about, but my understanding was that she was in trouble there too. Right before her disappearance, there was concern she'd lose that position too. Is that accurate?

Here is an article that describes what can happen in residency. The figure they give for 2015 - 2016 is that 0.86% of residents left their positions, and that number includes the people who left voluntarily. Less than 1%. That's how rare it is for a resident to leave, whether voluntarily or termination. The number for termination is minuscule.

I believe it's fair to assume that if someone is terminated from one residency and then in trouble at a second residency, there are deficiencies in their performance as a physician.

I haven't kept up with the media on her case so I don't know how quickly she got another residency or how that came about, but my understanding was that she was in trouble there too. Right before her disappearance, there was concern she'd lose that position too. Is that accurate?

Here is an article that describes what can happen in residency. The figure they give for 2015 - 2016 is that 0.86% of residents left their positions, and that number includes the people who left voluntarily. Less than 1%. That's how rare it is for a resident to leave, whether voluntarily or termination. The number for termination is minuscule.

I believe it's fair to assume that if someone is terminated from one residency and then in trouble at a second residency, there are deficiencies in their performance as a physician.

She was on probation at the new residency, IIRC she had substance abuse classes she had to take. I'm assuming this was a requirement based on the troubles at Cabrini. To my knowledge confirmation of why she had to take these classes has never been published, so IMO, but I am guessing she could have been in a diversion program.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back