NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thought that came to my mind when I read about this was the Long Island serial killer because the body was found in a marsh. Just so sad.

In a televised briefing, that I watched on tv, NYPD chief of detectives Robert Boyce stated the medical examiner has the forensic evidence and they were waiting back on a possible DNA profile.

Unfortunately I can't remember what day this was but either the 3rd or 4th, then yesterday (5th) the sneaker and headphones were located at the scene. Hopefully they are able to pull more DNA from these items.

Or fingerprints.

So she was at her parents' house when she went running ? And that's why they started the 3D scan there ? Because I read that she lived in the neighborhood, but not with her parents. Wonder if she lived alone ? Who are her neighbors ? One of the news articles stated that she was found about a mile from her parents' house. So she set off running at 5pm, and was supposedly seen on video at 5 46pm. Presumably she was on her way to the fire lanes area at 5 46 pm, but still in view of houses I wonder then did she stop someplace between setting off and being seen on the video ? Something about the times seems off. jmo I'm a New Yorker,but not really familiar with the neighborhood there in Howard Beach. jmo

So she was at her parents' house when she went running ? And that's why they started the 3D scan there ? Because I read that she lived in the neighborhood, but not with her parents. Wonder if she lived alone ? Who are her neighbors ? One of the news articles stated that she was found about a mile from her parents' house. So she set off running at 5pm, and was supposedly seen on video at 5 46pm. Presumably she was on her way to the fire lanes area at 5 46 pm, but still in view of houses I wonder then did she stop someplace between setting off and being seen on the video ? Something about the times seems off. jmo I'm a New Yorker,but not really familiar with the neighborhood there in Howard Beach. jmo

What exactly is a 3-D scan? I haven't heard of this before. thanks.

Different from the high resolution cameras, laser scanners produce a number of measurement points, called a point cloud, that create the 3D reconstruction of a crime scene. This point cloud data, when interpreted by the software, produces very accurate reconstructions of the crime scene with precise measurement data.

Laser scanners scan and measure everything at a crime scene, not just what investigators think is important at the time. Crime scene technicians set up the scanner and let it go to work, capturing everything so that if a witness comes forward a month down the line and a critical measurement is needed, you have the necessary data.

http://www.officer.com/article/1207...ary-3d-crime-scene-investigation-csi-scanners

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There's a lot of conflicting info. I think she lived separately from her parents (same neighborhood) and possibly drove to her parents house to go for her run with her father. He didn't go with so she left from there, again just a guess. If you pull up google maps you can see the area she was running in.

If she was seen on home surveillance video at 5:46 then I would think she was running north on the path along 78th street towards the belt parkway and looping around coming back south. I'm only guessing this from photos of where her body was discovered. If those are even accurate.

It is software that can provide a panoramic interpretation of a crime scene. Helps investigators understand a crime scene better.

There's a lot of conflicting info. I think she lived separately from her parents (same neighborhood) and possibly drove to her parents house to go for her run with her father. He didn't go with so she left from there, again just a guess. If you pull up google maps you can see the area she was running in.

If she was seen on home surveillance video at 5:46 then I would think she was running north on the path along 78th street towards the belt parkway and looping around coming back south. I'm only guessing this from photos of where her body was discovered. If those are even accurate.

I was wondering how it took from 5pm when she left the starting point, to 546 pm when she was seen on a home's surveillance camera. And then was actually found only about a mile from the presumed starting point of her parents' house. If it was only a mile to the fire lanes, wouldn't she have gotten there sooner ? I wondered if she had stopped somewhere between leaving her parents' house and being seen at 546pm, still not at the fire lanes location.

I was wondering how it took from 5pm when she left the starting point, to 546 pm when she was seen on a home's surveillance camera. And then was actually found only about a mile from the presumed starting point of her parents' house. If it was only a mile to the fire lanes, wouldn't she have gotten there sooner ? I wondered if she had stopped somewhere between leaving her parents' house and being seen at 546pm, still not at the fire lanes location.

Maybe she was on her way back, hence only a mile from home when she was attacked?

Maybe she was on her way back, hence only a mile from home when she was attacked?

Yes. However, the period of time I am most interested in is from 5pm, when she set off to 546 pm, when she was seen on video, heading past a house, and not at the fire lanes. I would have thought she might have been further along her route at 546 pm, if she had kept running. Who know, she might have stopped to talk to someone she knew, maybe even told them where she was headed ? *Speculation only * and jmo

Yes. However, the period of time I am most interested in is from 5pm, when she set off to 546 pm, when she was seen on video, heading past a house, and not at the fire lanes. I would have thought she might have been further along her route at 546 pm, if she had kept running. Who know, she might have stopped to talk to someone she knew, maybe even told them where she was headed ? *Speculation only * and jmo

Or the reported time of 5pm was incorrect.

I read that she set out shortly after 5pm so shortly after could be 5:05..5:10, or anytime after 5 really but from what I did gather she was texting with a friend while running so she may have stopped or slowed down to do so BUT I also saw something saying that her run is usually around 40 mins.

I read that she set out shortly after 5pm so shortly after could be 5:05..5:10, or anytime after 5 really but from what I did gather she was texting with a friend while running so she may have stopped or slowed down to do so BUT I also saw something saying that her run is usually around 40 mins.

TY I had read that she usually ran for about 4 to 5 miles when she ran. I think she either stopped to talk, or something, because IF her run usually lasted about 40 minutes, and she was seen on video headed towards the fire lane area at 546 pm, well, she must have stopped before she was seen on video ?

I saw in an article that she was texting with a friend at the time, but no details. Anyone know more? I hope LE can get a better grip on the timeline and share more that will spark someone's memory.

This has left a large gathering of her loved ones stunned and heartbroken. I know there's not many tips or possible suspects yet, and that must be terrible for those who are anguished over losing her.

Is the killer on a binge killing now or will they go into hiding? A stranger or someone in her world? If no one was seen following her, then it sounds like the killer seized the opportunity with no plan...maybe like they've done before.

:rose: Karina Vetrano :rose:

Or the reported time of 5pm was incorrect.
Sure. I think that time was given by her dad, so possibly he was distraught, and just said 5pm ? I know he called his friend, a LEO police captain at 7pm. I don't know if he had tried to call her before that. Probably though ?

I'm betting that this wasn't the perps first rodeo, and the DNA came back with a match. If so, the LE are currently in pursuit of this violent murderer. Maybe even today.... we'll get an arrest. Godspeed.

Sure. I think that time was given by her dad, so possibly he was distraught, and just said 5pm ? I know he called his friend, a LEO police captain at 7pm. I don't know if he had tried to call her before that. Probably though ?

At the morning presser on August 3rd (@ FB video linked below), Chief of Det states "at about 1700 last night, thereabouts or sometime after..."

Time prob given was between 5 - 5:30 PM not knowing precise time.

Later in the interview, the reporter after hearing the time KV was seen passing by the home on the video mentions that she may have left his home close to 5:30 PM.

Makes sense to me

Also, I can barely hear C of Dets early on the video, but I think he states KV lived a few blocks from parents' home.

https://www.facebook.com/TeresaPrioloNY/

<snip>

According to police, the clues point to a less sophisticated killer, one who did not take a trophy from the scene as murderers often do.

Police have also found a DNA sample that may match the killer and are searching through records of every summons given in the park in the last six months, CBS2s Magdalena Doris reported.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/06/queens-jogger-killed-funeral/

I'm so counting on this Monster being in the system...for something.

Maybe not murder, maybe not even rape, but for some criminal act on the violent side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knotty70