NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have his DNA????? Is this confirmed? Or is this an assumption?

She was raped and manually strangled, plus they found her shoe and earphones, which appear to have been picked up and thrown by the perp. They are testing everything they have found for DNA.

jmo

She was raped and manually strangled, plus they found her shoe and earphones, which appear to have been picked up and thrown by the perp. They are testing everything they have found for DNA.

jmo

police are testing her phone and other items for DNA but they have not stated that they "HAVE DNA". In addition, police have stated that her injuries are consistent with (rape) but it will be up to the medical examiner to make that determination. There are so many news stories out there that are worded slightly differently. We need to be careful not to jump to conclusions without receiving all the facts (from police or ME) and not "sources". For example, I read one news story that her teeth were "knocked out" and another that she "bit" the assailant so hard her teeth cracked or chipped.. Those are two very different scenarios. Let's wait for an updated police press conference to receive accurate information.

ITA. Seems so brutal. Too brutal for a stranger, IMO. Knocking her teeth out and beating her black and blue?!
I, aslo, don't believe the sneaker/ear bud was taken as trophy.

Lots of brutal murders are committed by strangers.

police are testing her phone and other items for DNA but they have not stated that they "HAVE DNA". In addition, police have stated that her injuries are consistent with (rape) but it will be up to the medical examiner to make that determination. There are so many news stories out there that are worded slightly differently. We need to be careful not to jump to conclusions without receiving all the facts (from police or ME) and not "sources". For example, I read one news story that her teeth were "knocked out" and another that she "bit" the assailant so hard her teeth cracked or chipped.. Those are two very different scenarios. Let's wait for an updated police press conference to receive accurate information.

Thanks for the reminder, but I haven't seen anyone jump to conclusions...other than to hope, speculate, brainstorm scenarios, and start to form opinions. Most of us have followed enough cases to know that early reports are often confused, contradicted, and later clarified....and we talk about what info we have and hone the sleuthing as we go. Press conferences are great, of course, but we don't need to wait for them before we can discuss among ourselves.

When in doubt, check links and question them. Point out discrepancies and inconclusive reporting - that's great! But we can try to connect dots as well, with the knowledge we might be wrong and have to change course later.

I think we're going pretty good with this case.

jmopinion, ymmv

If the "source" is not identified, it is not valid.

It was reported as a "police source." I know you want super-duper verification and I applaud you for your diligence, but we are allowed to discuss the case as it develops and rely on MSM articles for info.

jmopinion

It was reported as a "police source." I know you want super-duper verification and I applaud you for your diligence, but we are allowed to discuss the case as it develops and rely on MSM articles for info.

jmopinion

Totally agree. I just choose not to speculate on "sources" from DailyMail. I hope they find this killer. It is horrific. I'm off this thread from now on. Keep on' sleuthing!

They have his DNA????? Is this confirmed? Or is this an assumption?

She bit him so hard that her teeth broke, so the murderer must have bleed pretty bad, so police probably found his blood at the crime scene, and therefore they have his DNA :)

How would they know her teeth were cracked from biting the perp? There would have to be foreign DNA in her mouth. I find it more plausible they were damaged in the beating, as LE told the poster upthread. Also wasn't the funeral held already? If so it would seem the ME already has everything they need other than DNA and toxicology results and the media can't get ahold of the autopsy report to tell us anything solid. As gruesome as it is, I think Karina would have wanted her story told, not only to convey her suffering but to not be forgotten. That is what I get from her blog.

I'm glad to hear that! If she bit so hard her teeth cracked he won't just have a bite mark, he'll have a deep wound which hopefully gets terribly infected. They should send out notices to all hospitals and GP's.

Why around the home? How perplexing.

Maybe she bit him on a bone area and hopefully damaged a nerve. The idea of a bite that might get noticed and reported...we can hope. Wish she took a chunk out of his face.

Remarkable young woman and her writing had such depth. I pray whoever did this is caught soon. Feel so sorry for her family.

Totally agree. I just choose not to speculate on "sources" from DailyMail. I hope they find this killer. It is horrific. I'm off this thread from now on. Keep on' sleuthing!

DailyMail picks up their content from others, in this case it was PEOPLE. PEOPLE gets their stuff from other MSM publications. It's something that had been reported in other places. That's what was said; you wanted to know if it was being made up/speculated. I read it so I provided a link to show someone else reported it.

I started reading this case last night. It's so tragic.
As a single woman/mom, I'm always vigilant when out and about. It doesn't really stop me from enjoying life. However common sense kind of prevails most of the time. If I'm coming home late, I will walk on the streets instead of sidewalks. I have my phone in my hands. I have taught my 11 year old son, how to use my phone, call for help, yell fire instead of help, and to make as much noise as possible if in need of assistance. While this might not "save" us, him, I hope it will at least help in calling attention should we/i/he need it. I listen to my "spidey sense". When I'm fearful/scared/cautious I make sure I'm prepared should I need it.
It is sad that I have to be so cautious, but I rather be cautious than a victim. And I rather be a live victim than dead.
I am so sad that Karina wasn't safe to run in broad daylight. Sometimes we need to tell ourselves that we are not invicible. I hope this perp is found. They are vicious and bound to do it again. If only to prove they can get away with it.
RIP Karina.
All MOO!

In a televised briefing, that I watched on tv, NYPD chief of detectives Robert Boyce stated the medical examiner has the forensic evidence and they were waiting back on a possible DNA profile.

Unfortunately I can't remember what day this was but either the 3rd or 4th, then yesterday (5th) the sneaker and headphones were located at the scene. Hopefully they are able to pull more DNA from these items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar