NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Times given are always approximate like in this case (what time did she actually step foot on that path to start her run). We can be assured she was indeed on that path and she did go by or approach wherever the killer was hiding and sometime after 5:45pm he did attack her. Furthermore, it appears no one else was on that path or heard or saw anything so that answers the question of how remote is that path? Remote enough at that time of the early evening someone was able to attack, sexually assault, and strangle a fit woman of 30 without any witnesses (eye or ear).

The first thought that came to my mind when I read about this was the Long Island serial killer because the body was found in a marsh. Just so sad.

Yes, that was one of my first thoughts too. I haven't followed the LI cases very closely, but the marshy weed area did make me think there might be a connection.

For anyone who has followed the LI serial cases, can you see similarities?

Yes, that was one of my first thoughts too. I haven't followed the LI cases very closely, but the marshy weed area did make me think there might be a connection.

For anyone who has followed the LI serial cases, can you see similarities?

The locations are pretty far apart, about 45 mins during normal traffic. I personally don't see any similarities. The Gilgo beach killer targeted prostitutes/hookers. Plus from what someone else mentioned LE doesn't think this is the doing of a sophisticated killer.

Please! There might still be someone who has yet to come forward that saw a suspicious person hanging around that remote area before.

So far, this is a hard case to sleuth for me. So much undetected movement by this killer has me stumped. Has there been any discussion on whether this killer would've had a car? It's so remote, but wouldn't they have come out and leave through a neighborhood?

They must have bruises and maybe a festering bite mark. How I wish LE could get to question this person while they still have those incriminating marks on them.

At the morning presser on August 3rd (@ FB video linked below), Chief of Det states "at about 1700 last night, thereabouts or sometime after..."

Time prob given was between 5 - 5:30 PM not knowing precise time.

Later in the interview, the reporter after hearing the time KV was seen passing by the home on the video mentions that she may have left his home close to 5:30 PM.

Makes sense to me

Also, I can barely hear C of Dets early on the video, but I think he states KV lived a few blocks from parents' home.

https://www.facebook.com/TeresaPrioloNY/

TY. I have only ever heard that she lived "in the neighborhood" Something interesting : I read in one of the news reports ( may have been the NY Times ) about a homeowner who lived opposite, or very close to opposite the fire lane entrance area. And, even better yet, he has a surveillance camera. I am wondering if that's actually the location where she was spotted on video. And that's why LE knew no one followed her in there. Thing is, it's a strange place for a rapist/murderer to randomly troll for victims. The locals all say they never go anywhere near the fire lanes, it is too isolated. jmo

The homeowner I read about whose house was very clear to the trail entrance : the cam would also show anyone exiting that way, from about 5 45 pm on. Hope LE has some video and the DNA. NYC Detectives are some of the best around. jmo

Please! There might still be someone who has yet to come forward that saw a suspicious person hanging around that remote area before.

So far, this is a hard case to sleuth for me. So much undetected movement by this killer has me stumped. Has there been any discussion on whether this killer would've had a car? It's so remote, but wouldn't they have come out and leave through a neighborhood?

They must have bruises and maybe a festering bite mark. How I wish LE could get to question this person while they still have those incriminating marks on them.

If the killer is homeless, there might be no car.

TY. I have only ever heard that she lived "in the neighborhood" Something interesting : I read in one of the news reports ( may have been the NY Times ) about a homeowner who lived opposite, or very close to opposite the fire lane entrance area. And, even better yet, he has a surveillance camera. I am wondering if that's actually the location where she was spotted on video. And that's why LE knew no one followed her in there. Thing is, it's a strange place for a rapist/murderer to randomly troll for victims. The locals all say they never go anywhere near the fire lanes, it is too isolated. jmo

Apparently that area is frequented by homeless people. The killer might have been just there, and not to specifically troll for victims. If he saw the victim running alone, it could be a crime of opportunity. So far police think this is a random crime and the perp didn't know her.
"Boyce said this was a random act and they do not believe the attacker knew Vetrano. A $10,000 reward is being offered for any information that could lead to the arrest of her killer."
http://www.people.com/article/slain-jogger-laid-to-rest

To me, I think of "random act" as he didn't do this to KV personally, but it doesn't mean he wasn't trolling for a victim. Just that it wasn't personal to KV.

Apparently that area is frequented by homeless people. The killer might have been just there, and not to specifically troll for victims. If he saw the victim running alone, it could be a crime of opportunity. So far police think this is a random crime and the perp didn't know her.
"Boyce said this was a random act and they do not believe the attacker knew Vetrano. A $10,000 reward is being offered for any information that could lead to the arrest of her killer."

Yep. Earlier on LE had said that they didn't believe any of the homeless people were involved. But one of them might have seen something, someone. jmo

Yep. Earlier on LE had said that they didn't believe any of the homeless people were involved. But one of them might have seen something, someone. jmo

"There were no arrests in the killing, although police interviewed two homeless people who may live in nearby Gateway National Recreation Area. A police source said the killer was possibly a transient rather than a neighborhood local."
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...father-howard-beach-marshes-article-1.2736823

It goes on to say the park is accessible from belt parkway and was likely someone passing through (which loosely translates to transient) and not a local homeless person.

"There were no arrests in the killing, although police interviewed two homeless people who may live in nearby Gateway National Recreation Area. A police source said the killer was possibly a transient rather than a neighborhood local."
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...father-howard-beach-marshes-article-1.2736823

I find it interesting that she was attacked while running on the fire lane and her dad is an ex firefighter. Not in any way suspecting the dad but I had the thought that maybe someone wanted to hurt the dad by killing his daughter. There was so much rage ... an act of revenge?

Maybe I watched too much Criminal Minds. :blushing:

I find it interesting that she was attacked while running on the fire lane and her dad is an ex firefighter. Not in any way suspecting the dad but I had the thought that maybe someone wanted to hurt the dad by killing his daughter. There was so much rage ... an act of revenge?

Maybe I watched too much Criminal Minds. :blushing:

I think the same thing. And I've never watched Criminal minds. Just grew up in NYC. jmo

Thanks for this news article. Here's some statements from the article I wanted to post here.

Neighbors say the 10-foot-high growths along the trails allowed predators to lie in wait and partiers to drink and do drugs without fear.

A police source said the killer was possibly a transient rather than a neighborhood local.

“This is not like Central Park,” the source said. “You can get into this area from the Belt Parkway and from other locations. The fear is this could have been someone passing through, not some homeless guy living there.”

Steve..., who lives one block over from the Vetranos, said he saw Karina go onto the path alone sometime after 5 p.m. Tuesday at the start of her run.

Cops recovered “a lot of forensic evidence” and were reviewing video surveillance footage from nearby homes as they hunted the killer, Boyce said

Cops were using infrared cameras to look for anyone possibly still hiding in the tall grass.

“Right now we’re investigating anybody who uses this park,” the chief added.

If the killer is homeless, there might be no car.

Or, if the assailant (or assailants) was a young person without a car, but who knew another way out of the park besides the entrance Karina used.

People were known to go to the park to hangout, do drugs, etc. Who would be doing in the late afternoon? Well, anybody.....but also it was a time of day for young people to be out, maybe even headed home for dinner.

I just can't shake the theory that it was a duo (or group) of youth who hunted her down when they saw her, and then ran off.

I actually hope it was an adult with a criminal history so LE can match the DNA to someone in the database.

jmopinion at the moment.

August 5, 2016
8:52 AM EDT

Karina Vetrano "put up a ferocious fight" during her murder, NYPD says

A wake was set to be held Friday for a 30-year-old jogger killed in New York City as police continue to search for any clues that could lead them to a suspect, CBS New York reports.

The painstaking investigation into the murder of Karina Vetrano continued into the night Thursday with numerous officers and detectives at the crime scene in the Howard Beach neighborhood of Queens.

The NYPD called in the FBI for help because her body was found on federal parkland. The bureau has provided additional equipment in the search, including drones over the scene.

Police said they are desperate for tips from the public. They say they've only received three calls to their tip line, none of which have provided much information.

"We believe there's a severe community threat, as you know," Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said. "Right now, we think it's random, so we don't believe it's anybody in her life that's created this."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-...d-police/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=27361058

Another possibility is the killer had a bike hidden to take off on after.

Read that LE found a used condom near her body. Probably not involved in this murder, but still interesting. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar