NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the news back in 2000 when they discovered the bodies at the construction site for the mall. This is the Gateway Mall that is close by where Karina's body was found. I don't think there's any relation. The area has always been a dumping ground because of how secluded it is. Once the mall was finished, more people have been in the area which makes me think this was purely a crime of opportunity. I believe the guy was coming in from the mall direction (entering the marshes from the bike path) and then saw her, did what he did and left the same way he came in. The bike path is not used much. So he could of came out when no one was around. I remember biking on the path and the whole time I passed only one other biker. I really do hope police have questioned and asked workers at the mall if they saw anyone suspicious come in, and look at surveillance video. In the actual mall parking lot they have (or did the last time I was there) a police surveillance tower.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mass..._on_vanessa_marcotte_killer.amp?client=safari

'A man attacked Vetrano by hitting her over the head with a rock and dragging her body into a nearby wooded area'

This was shared on Vanessa Marcottes thread by ThinkHard. Wanted to share here because I hadn't seen or heard about Karina being hit with a rock. Not sure where this FBI profiler got the info from but figured it was worth sharing.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mass..._on_vanessa_marcotte_killer.amp?client=safari

'A man attacked Vetrano by hitting her over the head with a rock and dragging her body into a nearby wooded area'

This was shared on Vanessa Marcottes thread by ThinkHard. Wanted to share here because I hadn't seen or heard about Karina being hit with a rock. Not sure where this FBI profiler got the info from but figured it was worth sharing.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that either. I did see them bringing out a wooden plank carefully on a news broadcast. But not sure what exactly it was.

I had heard this from day one, but, couldn't post it without a link. Apparently, from what has been said, he came up behind her and hit her over the head. She didn't even see him.

Looking at this image posted in one of the above articles, shows how isolated (and unsafe) this area is to jog through. I never liked running on grass covered trails like this as it was too easy to miss seeing something that could twist an ankle. Also, so easy for someone to hide unseen just around the curve.

jogger13n-2-web.jpg

Looking at this image posted in one of the above articles, shows how isolated (and unsafe) this area is to jog through. I never liked running on grass covered trails like this as it was too easy to miss seeing something that could twist an ankle. Also, so easy for someone to hide unseen just around the curve.

jogger13n-2-web.jpg
That's why I was surprised to hear they jogged in there. But if she jogged with her father, I could understand being fearless. No one in the area jogs or walks through there. Many don't even know there are trails cut out through it. I can see why her dad told her to be careful, and she told him she would be ok. Which leads me to believe that she nor him have ever come across anyone in there to make them feel unsafe. Also, it is very hard to hear anyones screams from where she was found. Her screams most likely echoed off the shore. If no one was boating in the bay, no one would hear her screams, sadly.

Honestly, to this longtime runner that looks like a perfect, peaceful place to run with a nice soft surface (easier on the body than concrete) - sort of a secret place to run in nature away from the urban surroundings. It's the kind of place lots of runners would be happy to discover, and I agree with Lauranyc83 that she must have felt safe there because she was so familiar with the paths and never experienced anyone or anything out of the ordinary since there was never anything hinky on her runs there with her father.

Very sad. I do believe this was a completely random crime of opportunity- that she passed the murderer on part of her run (maybe without even seeing him if he was hanging out off the trail) and he waited to ambush her on her way back around.

That's why I was surprised to hear they jogged in there. But if she jogged with her father, I could understand being fearless. No one in the area jogs or walks through there. Many don't even know there are trails cut out through it. I can see why her dad told her to be careful, and she told him she would be ok. Which leads me to believe that she nor him have ever come across anyone in there to make them feel unsafe. Also, it is very hard to hear anyones screams from where she was found. Her screams most likely echoed off the shore. If no one was boating in the bay, no one would hear her screams, sadly.

No screams if she was hit over the head with a rock... Her teeth were prob knocked out by hitting the ground.. Imo. She should have never been in there with her father or without her father.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbm - This is odd. It makes it sound like she died from being hit with a rock ("dragging her body"). But we heard she died of strangulation, and that she put up a fierce fight. So was she unconscious but then came to and fought? Or is there a mistake in the reporting and it was actually Vanessa Marcottes who was hit and killed with a rock? (I'm not following her thread, so I don't know her exact cod.)

No screams if she was hit over the head with a rock... Her teeth were prob knocked out by hitting the ground.. Imo. She should have never been in there with her father or without her father.

She put up a fight. She was not knocked out cold from the rock. Probably knocked to ground. But I am pretty sure if they said she fought back she screamed as well.

I would probably go run in there too if my Dad was a runner and this was the place we ran. Why would you say she shouldn't have ran in there with her father? It was a peaceful place for them both. I'm sure her Dad said "be careful" because it's something a parent does. Not because he thought she would be in danger running in there by herself that day.

And this was the route for her daily run.

She put up a fight. She was not knocked out cold from the rock. Probably knocked to ground. But I am pretty sure if they said she fought back she screamed as well.

I would probably go run in there too if my Dad was a runner and this was the place we ran. Why would you say she shouldn't have ran in there with her father? It was a peaceful place for them both. I'm sure her Dad said "be careful" because it's something a parent does. Not because he thought she would be in danger running in there by herself that day.

I've read here that there are drug dealers/users and a lot of homeless people who live in the weeds ? Maybe it was that ? Also, if it is so unused, I wonder who left the used condom found near her body ? never believed it was from her killer. Is it also a place known for prostitutes to go ?

I had heard this from day one, but, couldn't post it without a link. Apparently, from what has been said, he came up behind her and hit her over the head. She didn't even see him.

I hope she didn't suffer and was unconscious for the whole thing.

A local (sorry can't remember who) said upthread the park/weeds serves as a regular hang out spot for gang members, drug dealers, and homeless people. I don't understand how anyone could have a feeling of safety in such a place. Not blaming Karina or her father, I'm just puzzled.

She fought hard for her life, according to the news reports (who get their info from police sources). No doubt she suffered. She broke her teeth allegedly biting or trying to bite her attacker. Her injuries were ante-mortem (while she was alive). She was not hit once and then she passed out never to awaken again. She fought back.

I do not think that it was careless to use this area for jogging. I know several young women who are running in a park over here which is full of drug dealers and things like that and never anything happenend. Over here the risk to be killed by a drunken driver if you run closer to a street is much higher than run through a park where drug dealers and other strangers do their business.

I saw a recent interview with her Dad (I'll find the link) where he told the reporter that they did encounter sketchy people on that trail when they ran together...but he concluded by saying he was unafraid anyway...and KV got her fearlessness from him.

This was the interview about the increased reward money.

A local (sorry can't remember who) said upthread the park/weeds serves as a regular hang out spot for gang members, drug dealers, and homeless people. I don't understand how anyone could have a feeling of safety in such a place. Not blaming Karina or her father, I'm just puzzled.
Yes, it was me who said that. I should have clarified a little better. The area where Karina was found and that path closer to the Belt parkway and 161st are usually not where they hang out. The area right off of Crossbay blvd under the bridge is where there is a homeless encampment. Where men who are just released from prison go etc. She wouldn't have come across them unless they ventured towards the trail where she was. I posted an ariel view few pages back of it.

Teens may go in there to have sex. It's known to have happened in other parks in the city. I've found used condoms on a slide once in a park. So it isn't uncommon to find a used condom, depending on how close to Karinas body it was found, it may have been the killers. The area is big, so to have dragged her body to the same exact spot someone once had sex and left a condom, is very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member