VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AUG 24, 2024
Friends, co-workers and members of the Nepali American Community Center organized the event in Manassas Park, which featured several speakers and updates about the future of Bhatt’s daughter, Neema, who turned 1 earlier this week.

[...]

A launched by the Nepalese community on behalf of Bhatt’s daughter had raised over $167,000 by Saturday afternoon. Organizers said a portion of the money will be used to bring Mamta Bhatt’s mother and brother to the United States next week on an emergency visa, and house them while they are here.

The rest will be invested in a trust for when she turns 18. A financial planner and lawyers are involved in the planning process, with a custodial account being opened Monday, organizers told the crowd.

[...]
I'm so torn because Mamta could have used this financial support while she was alive to exit the abusive situation and into safety. I know there are a lot of moving parts to actual exiting DV but I hate that this is reactive. Maybe a lesson from this would be to parter with NPO's who deal with DV around the area. IMO

However, I would like an expert opinion as to how this effort helps Mamta's case.

Thank you that transcription Dotta.

I will help him with an answer to his last question. (In case his lawyer is reading here perhaps.) /sarc

What you are supposed to say is this: “what happened, and where have you placed your wife’s remains? And those of the unborn infant?” (IIRC). “You know, the kind woman that mothered your children….. and apparently was paying several or most of the bills?”

SMH. MOO

Thank you that transcription Dotta.

I will help him with an answer to his last question. (In case his lawyer is reading here perhaps.) /sarc

What you are supposed to say is this: “what happened, and where have you placed your wife’s remains? And those of the unborn infant?” (IIRC). “You know, the kind woman that mothered your children….. and apparently was paying several or most of the bills?”

SMH. MOO
I'm sorry for double-quote but did you say "and those of unborn infant?"

I'm sorry for double-quote but did you say "and those of unborn infant?"
Yes, and no problem on the double post. Hope I’ve not mixed up this with another case? I thought that there were earlier reports of that? Or perhaps I am in error? And thinking of something different?

There is a Daily Mail August 22, 2024 article entitled ‘Shocking new details in case of missing Virginia mom Mamta Kafle Bhatt as husband is seen handcuffed and taken away by police’ - and it has a confusing embedded link up near the top of the article to another different case of a pregnant missing woman:

I may be in error on that point…. and unfortunately have missed the edit window on that prior post. Thanks for pointing this out in case I have that point wrong. MOO

Yes, and no problem on the double post. Hope I’ve not mixed up this with another case? I thought that there were earlier reports of that? Or perhaps I am in error? And thinking of something different?

There is a Daily Mail August 22, 2024 article entitled ‘Shocking new details in case of missing Virginia mom Mamta Kafle Bhatt as husband is seen handcuffed and taken away by police’ - and it has a confusing embedded link up near the top of the article to another different case of a pregnant missing woman:

I may be in error on that point…. and unfortunately have missed the edit window on that prior post. Thanks for pointing this out in case I have that point wrong. MOO
A co-worker commented about Mamta's attitude or energy or something along those lines when she was pregnant. Past tense. If she was pregnant now, that would be splashed all over the news. MOO

You might be thinking of Mischa Johnson?

I'm so torn because Mamta could have used this financial support while she was alive to exit the abusive situation and into safety. I know there are a lot of moving parts to actual exiting DV but I hate that this is reactive. Maybe a lesson from this would be to parter with NPO's who deal with DV around the area. IMO

However, I would like an expert opinion as to how this effort helps Mamta's case.
I have a feeling people would have lent the same support if they'd known how bad things had really gotten. I'm not sure even Mamta herself realized just how bad it was until the very last second- it's not possible to overestimate just how slick abusers can be when they want to be.

Moo...I feel Mamta was trapped in many ways.
She was in a new county. I do believe her missing original green card was being held or destroyed by the husband, creating stress and fear. Her immigration hearing was in a few days, she had to be frantic.
Her husband was difficult and we now know violent a person. I feel like there were times she may have feared for her life. He may have threatened to keep her from her baby, threatened her with court action. He is a very bad human.

No, the money will not help Mamta's case. It will bring her mother and brother here and provide living expenses for their visit. Hopefully, there will be funds leftover to invest and give her child a financial start in adulthood. I'm sure Mamta wanted the best for her daughter, loved her with all her heart and she was working to provide for her.

I'm just so sorry this happened. As a mother and grandmother my heartbreaks.

Moo

Mini Mamta
t4521.gif

AUG 24, 2024
“Mamta has a big, emotional family. We care about her. She is loved. And, also, we have a big responsibility to take care of Mini Mamta,” event co-organizer and former co-worker Sunita Basnet Thapa said.

“Mini Mamta” is the name organizers gave to identify Mamta’s daughter, who they’re raising money for through a [Fundraiser].

Co-workers and members of the local Nepali community shared prayers and memories of Mamta. Many also spoke about bringing attention to domestic violence.

The sad thing? I don't think it would do a lick of good. IMO he's decided he's the victim, it should all be about him, and he doesn't give a flying rip about his family and his own flesh and blood child. He's going to be crying victim all the way to LWOP or death row. (Does VA still have the death penalty? If so, it seems like he's a perfect recipient MOO.)

And this is where he remembers Chris Watts. I suspect he did not have much luck with dating, even in own community, and then, by some unbelievable luck, married an educated, nice, kind woman who wanted to have a kid with him. And he suddenly decided that the world was his oyster, and this wife was not good enough.

And this is where he remembers Chris Watts. I suspect he did not have much luck with dating, even in own community, and then, by some unbelievable luck, married an educated, nice, kind woman who wanted to have a kid with him. And he suddenly decided that the world was his oyster, and this wife was not good enough.
What is it about men doing this, seriously. I just watched the new Laci Peterson docuseries. But I could fill a page with names. List. Dupont de Ligonnes. Jeffrey MacDonald, too. I think the baby in this case is very lucky to be alive - these cases often have fatal outcomes for the kids, too.

It's like the killer's ego won't allow their partner to exist without them. Like their partner thriving independent of them doesn't occur to them, because they're the centre of the universe. They just get to a place where they're not feeling it anymore and hit hard reset. You have to be completely narcissistic to do that. Not see your family as actual people, just as... furniture.

MOO

She was in a new county. I do believe her missing original green card was being held or destroyed by the husband, creating stress and fear. Her immigration hearing was in a few days, she had to be frantic.
Her husband was difficult and we now know violent a person. I feel like there were times she may have feared for her life. He may have threatened to keep her from her baby, threatened her with court action. He is a very bad human.

No, the money will not help Mamta's case. It will bring her mother and brother here and provide living expenses for their visit. Hopefully, there will be funds leftover to invest and give her child a financial start in adulthood. I'm sure Mamta wanted the best for her daughter, loved her with all her heart and she was working to provide for her.

Moo

Theoretically, what could have helped if Mamta would be identified as the victim of DV, then her immigration case could be expedited. But this, probably, needs an immigration lawyer, and they aren’t cheap. However, it her husband, who had a Tesla and a house was not so controlling, she’d have the money. I think when he stole her green card, this would signal to her to go to the police, but she probably felt confused. She had friends who could testify to the abuse btw.

Moo
I would like to acknowledge each of you for giving insight and introspection into this case. Many people will go back and read these comments and see things in a new perspective. Comments such as, "her missing her original green card..." are prompts now, meaning new opportunities to navigate something similar to what someone is experiencing now. All I can say is please continue to reflect and share what the next step could be. You could be saving the next person's life.

Theoretically, what could have helped if Mamta would be identified as the victim of DV, then her immigration case could be expedited. But this, probably, needs an immigration lawyer, and they aren’t cheap. However, it her husband, who had a Tesla and a house was not so controlling, she’d have the money. I think when he stole her green card, this would signal to her to go to the police, but she probably felt confused. She had friends who could testify to the abuse btw.
I think isolation played a big role here, meaning her husband isolated her by not providing her a vehicle or her own checking account, her cell phone. So many things that are "red flags" to us Westerners that may not seem so at first glance from another community's perspective. Great insight!

What is it about men doing this, seriously. I just watched the new Laci Peterson docuseries. But I could fill a page with names. List. Dupont de Ligonnes. Jeffrey MacDonald, too. I think the baby in this case is very lucky to be alive - these cases often have fatal outcomes for the kids, too.

It's like the killer's ego won't allow their partner to exist without them. Like their partner thriving independent of them doesn't occur to them, because they're the centre of the universe. They just get to a place where they're not feeling it anymore and hit hard reset. You have to be completely narcissistic to do that. Not see your family as actual people, just as... furniture.

MOO
I experienced DV in my first marriage from my son's father. I planned my exit and I thought I did it privately, but somehow the day that I planned my exit, he came home from work early and caught me. I've done so much work on myself (codependency) and can look back at ways that I enabled this behaviour. Such a tough conversation. But, much needed.

The sad thing? I don't think it would do a lick of good. IMO he's decided he's the victim, it should all be about him, and he doesn't give a flying rip about his family and his own flesh and blood child. He's going to be crying victim all the way to LWOP or death row. (Does VA still have the death penalty? If so, it seems like he's a perfect recipient MOO.)
I'm sorry, I got lost here with the acronyms. Would you please expand on "LWOP"?

And just days after her 1st birthday. How sad. Hopefully she remembers none of this when she grows up.

Now she’ll go through life without her mother.

I am so sad for her.

I have a feeling she has strong women in her life, though. It will be sad, but I'm also very glad she won't live with the pain of "losing" her. Only with never really knowing her, if that makes any sense. As someone else said many posts ago, I hope they can somehow fast track her back to India so she can grow up learning their language and culture. Unless she's with an Indian foster family here, i guess that would be the best option for a little one just learning to talk, etc.

I hope what's-his-face never gets to see his daughter again in his entire life.

Moo

I think your addition of the lost green card and the interview happening are key to the reasons that Mamta (like many immigrants) stayed silent. Most likely, he lead her to believe that he could disrupt those proceedings and she would lose her child and job and all that she had been working for, including the possibility of deportation. A lawyer might have been able to reassure her but I tend to doubt that she had free access to one without him around. Getting refugee status as a victim of DV is a more difficult route. Permanent residency/citizenship means there is no ambiguity. Unfortunately, he would not be the first or last to hold a green card/permanent residency/citizenship over someone's head. It was also a higher stakes time for him--- if she got her permanent resident card/citizenship she could finally leave him or would be emboldened to report his alleged abuses to the police.

It is important that he did not harm his daughter (that we know of) and that she will be in the hands of her family and not his.

Ughhh. The belief that one could beat someone or do whatever they choose to another person is so frightening and chilling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malik562
Back