NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
YES!!!! Let this be it!
I'm curious why they say they don't believe it's her killer? If he is seen exiting around the time she was killed. And if he isn't the killer...this is even more creepy that this murder was happening while someone else was in Spring creek park. Ugh. And why hasn't this person ever come forward saying he was there at that time and didn't hear or see anything?

"A high-ranking police source told the Daily News the sketch is of a man seen coming out of the weeds at Spring Creek Park near Belt Parkway around the time Karina Vetrano was killed on Aug. 2.

The source said cops don’t believe the man in the sketch is the killer."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If this witness has any feeling that he will be accused by police or have his life ruined by the media and public, he is less likely to come forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/28/man_arrested_for_raping_woman_he_me.php

I'm sure this is unrelated, however I'm curious and maybe others can help me out with this question. I know the databank of DNA is back logged with being inputted. But, if something like this happens and his DNA is collected, would LE compare since it happened so close together. Or could this mans DNA not be entered for months and compared to the DNA of KVs killer?

This part jumped out at me. For some reason I thought they had a man on surveillance leaving the park on the Belt Parkway side. Seems like this sketch will be from witnesses. Interesting.

"Based on accounts from witnesses, police began developing a description of the man seen leaving the Queens park around the time the 30-year-old woman was raped and strangled. The source said police decided to hold off on releasing the sketch because it “wasn’t firm.” Police are finalizing the sketch this week."

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/28/man_arrested_for_raping_woman_he_me.php

I'm sure this is unrelated, however I'm curious and maybe others can help me out with this question. I know the databank of DNA is back logged with being inputted. But, if something like this happens and his DNA is collected, would LE compare since it happened so close together. Or could this mans DNA not be entered for months and compared to the DNA of KVs killer?

Yes, LE could compare the DNA from this attacker to that of what the have for Karina IMO and if they want they can enter it into the system... also IMO, high profile crimes that make the news are usually quickly entered.

http://www.forensicmag.com/article/2016/06/hidden-cost-rape-kit-backlog

I am thinking the reason they are publicly saying they don't believe he is the killer is probably because they don't want to accuse someone without really knowing.. I mean for all we know it's a deaf guy that walks around and did not even hear her scream if he was in the weeds...jmo..so I think cops might be covering their butt by not just flat out saying this is her killer. I don't think they can if they don't have proof. Again jmo

I'm curious why they say they don't believe it's her killer? If he is seen exiting around the time she was killed. And if he isn't the killer...this is even more creepy that this murder was happening while someone else was in Spring creek park. Ugh. And why hasn't this person ever come forward saying he was there at that time and didn't hear or see anything?

"A high-ranking police source told the Daily News the sketch is of a man seen coming out of the weeds at Spring Creek Park near Belt Parkway around the time Karina Vetrano was killed on Aug. 2.

The source said cops don’t believe the man in the sketch is the killer."

This part jumped out at me. For some reason I thought they had a man on surveillance leaving the park on the Belt Parkway side. Seems like this sketch will be from witnesses. Interesting.

"Based on accounts from witnesses, police began developing a description of the man seen leaving the Queens park around the time the 30-year-old woman was raped and strangled. The source said police decided to hold off on releasing the sketch because it “wasn’t firm.” Police are finalizing the sketch this week."

Sounds like they are giving him an opportunity to come forward on his own. I hope this strategy works.

Snip

The man in the sketch is a possible witness who could provide detectives leads in the Aug. 2 homicide of Karina Vetrano. He is not considered a suspect.

Detectives believe he may be able to provide information about what he may have seen around the time Vetrano is believed to have been killed.

The man was spotted by a worker in the area, and detectives have not yet been able to locate him to interview him for information. They will release a sketch of what they think he looks like with hopes that someone will recognize him.

http://abc7ny.com/news/sketch-expected-of-witness-in-howard-beach-jogger-murder/1492219/

Mystery jogger is ruled out as a suspect in Karina Vetrano's murder as police say they are about to release a sketch of a man they want to question
Father Philip Vetrano offered the mystery jogger as a suspect on Monday, saying he used to run along Karina's route but has been missing
But police say the 48-year-old ruled himself out on Tuesday, saying he stopped running after injuring his knee
Police are ready to release sketch of another man they want to question
Cops say he was in the area where Karina died at the time of her death

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-sketch-man-want-question.html#ixzz4IuizX1Gm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Snip

The man in the sketch is a possible witness who could provide detectives leads in the Aug. 2 homicide of Karina Vetrano. He is not considered a suspect.

Detectives believe he may be able to provide information about what he may have seen around the time Vetrano is believed to have been killed.

The man was spotted by a worker in the area, and detectives have not yet been able to locate him to interview him for information. They will release a sketch of what they think he looks like with hopes that someone will recognize him.

http://abc7ny.com/news/sketch-expected-of-witness-in-howard-beach-jogger-murder/1492219/

I've never seen a public announcement that a sketch is coming. I wonder if they are giving the guy a chance to come forward on his own without the sketch going public, if they really have a sketch from a credible witness, or what. Could be a sketch is just a sketch - I just don't remember such build-up before releasing one.

Whatever the situation, I hope the sketch works.

jmo

I'm really eager to see this sketch!

Btw did they ever OFFICIALLY announced the DNA in NY and MA didn't match?

I know for certain they have never confirmed they did, but I don't recall them ever announcing with certainty that there was NOT a match btw the two cases. But perhaps I'm mistaken.

My thought is both cases have been pretty hush hush, though both have been reported as being very active. I believe the FBI was also brought in on both cases...could crossing state lines be one of the reasons why?

If they believe the cases could be connected, could they be trying to make each case rock solid before making some announcement about their connection in order to not alert the perp how on to him they are?

I'm not convinced these cases are related, but I'm not sure I've totally dropped it as a possibility either.

I've never seen a public announcement that a sketch is coming. I wonder if they are giving the guy a chance to come forward on his own without the sketch going public, if they really have a sketch from a credible witness, or what. Could be a sketch is just a sketch - I just don't remember such build-up before releasing one.

Whatever the situation, I hope the sketch works.

jmo

I am eager to see the sketch, as well.
I have never ever seen LE announce that a sketch will be released. Just strange.
I would've thought a public announcement would've preempted this. Such as "we are looking to speak to a white guy in his 30's" blah blah blah. But to announce that a sketch will be released...weird.

I (almost) feel like LE is just throwing it out there in the hopes that anyone with info may come forward.

My thought is both cases have been pretty hush hush, though both have been reported as being very active. I believe the FBI was also brought in on both cases...could crossing state lines be one of the reasons why?

If they believe the cases could be connected, could they be trying to make each case rock solid before making some announcement about their connection in order to not alert the perp how on to him they are?

I'm not convinced these cases are related, but I'm not sure I've totally dropped it as a possibility either.

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. They have DNA from both Vanessa and Karina. You'd think they'd announce they are definitely not the same person. Serial killers are just more scary for some reason (not saying a random attack isn't scary), so I feel they'd assure the public that it isn't the work of one. I go back and forth in linking these 2 cases. If it is one guy I'm surprised there hasn't been another victim, but then again we don't know if there definitely isn't.

From the article linked above:

"NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce revealed that the jogger raced to the 106th precinct stationhouse Monday night after getting called out by Vetrano’s dad. The man was simply injured, so he stopped running for the last few weeks. And police say he has no connection to the grisly crime. “He’s a 48-year-old man who hurt his knee and stopped jogging,” Boyce said. “Nothing more heinous than that.”

<snip>

Police were able to compile the sketch based on the recollections of a worker at the north end of the park who said he was startled by the appearance of the unknown man as he left the park along a bike and jogging trail near the Belt Parkway, the official said.

>snip>

&#8220;A worker in the area said he spotted a guy,&#8221; the official said. The worker was surprised to see the man and for a moment thought he was going to be mugged, the official said.

BBM

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...arina-vetrano-s-slaying-police-say-1.12243074

Also, it appears from the article that the sketch may be very "generic" and that might be why they have been holding off its release.

I'm at work looking constantly online for an update on the sketch. I am very eager to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members