NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MF is a big gambler it seems like.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been lurking on this and a few other threads... always have been a "detective" at heart... but you guys are putting me to shame! I can't find anything on this guy and with such a generic name, I haven't got a prayer of narrowing it down. I'd love a point in the right direction if possible, though! I hope there is justice for Karina and her family soon. I don't want to get my hopes up but I agree about this beeing too eery to be a coincidence.

It had never occurred to me that you might be able to "get a profile" of a suspect from DNA. But apparently you can, or at least to some degree.

From the 7/16 National Geographic, Heather Bradey Can You Rule Out Suspects Using Faces Drawn From DNA?

"The technology is called DNA phenotyping, and so far it can produce only a rough approximation based on genetic factors such as geographic ancestry, eye color, and the shapes of facial features.

Academic scientists including Mark Shriver, an anthropologist at Pennsylvania State University, pioneered DNA phenotyping, and today a company called Parabon NanoLabs is developing a tool for forensic use, called Snapshot. Parabon emphasizes that police would never rely upon a DNA-based image alone to identify a suspect, but that detective work combined with a suspect’s DNA can effectively narrow down the pool of suspects."

Unfortunately it's a lot more complicated then that. See you have what is in your genetic code, and then you have genetic expression. Phenotyping can only look at your genetic code, but doesn't take into consideration your genetic expression.

For every gene you have two alleles as I'm sure you know, one from mom and one from dad. Genes aren't just on or off but rather work as a dimmer switch. As a simple example of how this plays out in practice, is you might think someone has a genetic code for brown eyes, but they might also have a recessive gene for blue, depending on how these are expressing person might actually end up with green eyes.

Not to mention environmental factors can influence the expression of our genes without changing the code. One might have genes saying they will be very tall, but a childhood illness could of effected the expression of these genes and the person never grows to what their genetic code says they can.

I think all the work is fascinating, I just wanted to point out that our ability to use DNA in this manner is still very much in its infancy. Hopefully someday though we will understand genes in a way that will tell people the foods they should eat and those they should avoid, as well as the best medicine to take vs those your body shouldn't have etc, etc....

Any finger print type experts out there?

The reason I ask is if they pull fingerprints from a crime scene....what databases do they run this info against? Do they only run it against criminal databases? Do they run them against other databases?

The reason I ask is because when I worked at Kings County DA's office (Brooklyn for those of you not familiar with NYC), I was fingerprinted as is every employee that works there. I'm sure other employment places may also fingerprint.....but would anything like this be available for comparison for crime scene prints?

Any finger print type experts out there?

The reason I ask is if they pull fingerprints from a crime scene....what databases do they run this info against? Do they only run it against criminal databases? Do they run them against other databases?

The reason I ask is because when I worked at Kings County DA's office (Brooklyn for those of you not familiar with NYC), I was fingerprinted as is every employee that works there. I'm sure other employment places may also fingerprint.....but would anything like this be available for comparison for crime scene prints?
I am curious about this as well. A lot of city and state employees are fingerprinted. When I worked for the US Census everyone was fingerprinted, but I don't know if this database is checked during a crime. Imo, it should. Maybe he was fingerprinted for a job, and it's out there...one simple database search would find him. Sigh.

FBI Combines Civil and Criminal Fingerprints into One Fully Searchable Database
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/09/little-fanfare-fbi-ramps-biometrics-programs-yet-again-part-1

Do we know if the perp's finger prints were found at the crime scene?
Yes, fingerprints and DNA on her and her phone and shoes I believe. They are able to tell the perp is left handed which leads me to believe the finger prints found were mostly left hand fingerprints.

Yes, fingerprints and DNA on her and her phone and shoes I believe. They are able to tell the perp is left handed which leads me to believe the finger prints found were mostly left hand fingerprints.

So curious about how they can tell he is left-handed...from the way she was attacked or from the hand used to handle the phone?

So curious about how they can tell he is left-handed...from the way she was attacked or from the hand used to handle the phone?
I am not sure why or how they determined, but I researched on if it is possible to tell by finger prints what hand it's from and it is. They must have found more of the left hand on her and her stuff meaning he is more dominant with that hand.

I am not sure why or how they determined, but I researched on if it is possible to tell by finger prints what hand it's from and it is. They must have found more of the left hand on her and her stuff meaning he is more dominant with that hand.

If she was choked, also, they can tell if he is righty or lefty.

If she was choked, also, they can tell if he is righty or lefty.
Yup. I believe a report on MSM said she was choked so hard the hand prints were on her neck still when found.

MF's daughters have a striking resemblance to KV. Wow.

This crime seems very disorganized. Lots of forensic evidence left behind - prints on multiple objects, and then the phone itself. A crime of opportunity?

Also, would there have been a way of knowing beforehand her father wouldn't run with her that particular night?

I was just trying to think, why would his fingerprints been all over her phone? Why would he have really needed to handle it at all?

Was there something in her phone he could have been looking for or trying to erase?

I was just trying to think, why would his fingerprints been all over her phone? Why would he have really needed to handle it at all?

Was there something in her phone he could have been looking for or trying to erase?
He threw it off the path into the weeds in the opposite direction her body was found. I think so it would take longer to find her. If everything was on path they would find her quicker

"The father did it." Whose father? :eek:
A few reports say "the father", but NYPD says he was yelling "my father did it". I wish all outlets had correct information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member