NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course anytime. In nightlife, more than one place, would rather not get personal on here though.

:welcome5: Daniellam1330

Things that you have heard are considered rumor unless they are supported by a main stream media link. If you feel you have inside knowledge because you knew and worked with Karina or can offer personal insight into who Karina was in life please consider becoming a verified by following the process described HERE

Again, welcome.

Do any of you have a sense of how rapists generally react to a victim fighting back, as Karina was said to have? Bullies are often apt to back off. Do rapists? Does it tell us something about Karina's killer that he persisted?

(SP=Self Protective)

“Further, the results of the multivariate analyses of general assault incidents (including both sexual and nonsexual assaults) involving female victims showed that most SP tactics, both forceful and non-forceful, appear to reduce the risk of injury and serious injury compared to nonresistance.”

Excerpt from:

The Impact of Victim Self-Protection
on Rape Completion and Injury
The Analysis of Existing Data Program, National Institute of Justice
Gary Kleck and Jongyeon Tark
School of Criminology and Criminal Justice Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1127
April 2004

I am interested in finding out if the sketch of the man is of a white man, latino man, or black man. I can't figure out the race and it would be helpful to know. Thanks in advance to anyone that can tell me.

I knew Karina and worked with her for a few years. Aside from being in tip top shape she was a VERY tough girl, no doubt in my mind she could fight and like someone twice her size. There was much evidence proving she put up a huge fight against this piece of **** and he left covered in bruises, scratches, cuts, marks etc (as his DNA was found under her fingernails and there were marks on her proving she was fighting hard back). Which led to the speculation he was unemployed or took immediate time off of work, and lived alone or with his mother who was protecting him during the height of the immediate search. As far as the grass in her hands, there could be two logical reasons why; Her body was found face down in the marsh, if this man was able to get on top of her back theres not much anyone can do at that point. She might have just grasped the grass while face down as last resort in her final moments, poor thing. And two - yes strangulation victims are found with self inflicted claw marks on them, but you dont have to be conscious to be strangled. The fighting and screaming could have made a lot of noise - it was broad daylight - and if he did infact drag her body to another area she could have grasped the grass while being dragged away in an effort to get away. I have also heard she was bludgeoned with an object and knocked unconscious before strangled. He could have attacked, fought her, dragged her to another location before knocking her unconscious and then strangling her. Anything is possible but all we can do is hope and pray this man is found and justice is served for Karina.

Welcome to the thread, and to Websleuths as a whole, Daniellam1330! It's great to have people on the thread who knew the victim. It can be discouraging to follow a case like this one that is slow to resolve, but the truth will out eventually, and I hope that we'll see you back here and on other threads!

Originally Posted by Forager
Do any of you have a sense of how rapists generally react to a victim fighting back, as Karina was said to have? Bullies are often apt to back off. Do rapists? Does it tell us something about Karina's killer that he persisted?

(SP=Self Protective)

“Further, the results of the multivariate analyses of general assault incidents (including both sexual and nonsexual assaults) involving female victims showed that most SP tactics, both forceful and non-forceful, appear to reduce the risk of injury and serious injury compared to nonresistance.”

Excerpt from:

The Impact of Victim Self-Protection
on Rape Completion and Injury
The Analysis of Existing Data Program, National Institute of Justice
Gary Kleck and Jongyeon Tark
School of Criminology and Criminal Justice Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1127
April 2004

Now that's an answer, by gum! Solid information based on real research and a source link. Thank you!

Was coming to post the new article but see it was posted above ^^^. I'm hoping this will help get leads!!! However, I thought this was already done and nothing came back.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...ed-in-ny-could-help-in-jogger-case-1.12682373

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I also thought this test had been done. But I do hope that it yields some positive results. I wonder if law enforcement in the U.S. has access to criminal databases in other countries? What if the perpetrator got on a plane at nearby JFK?

Things that suggest random vs stalker: 1. The stalker would be more likely to attack places he expects her to be alone. Jogging was normally done with rugged dad. It'd be unlikely that he'd plan to attack then. (0r that he chanced to overhear the one time she was going alone) not impossible. Just less likely.(as in if you hear hoofs don't expect to see zebras) 2. The odds again suggest an absolute stranger randomly hunting a victim is nearly impossible to solve provided he keeps quiet. Stalkers are more easily eventually identified. Obviously I could be all wet. But the odds on total stranger killing total stranger being solved after 3 months are extremely low. ( does anyone know the solved odds on those please? I couldn't find them but I believe they are very low)

Things that suggest random vs stalker: 1. The stalker would be more likely to attack places he expects her to be alone. Jogging was normally done with rugged dad. It'd be unlikely that he'd plan to attack then. (0r that he chanced to overhear the one time she was going alone) not impossible. Just less likely.(as in if you hear hoofs don't expect to see zebras) 2. The odds again suggest an absolute stranger randomly hunting a victim is nearly impossible to solve provided he keeps quiet. Stalkers are more easily eventually identified. Obviously I could be all wet. But the odds on total stranger killing total stranger being solved after 3 months are extremely low. ( does anyone know the solved odds on those please? I couldn't find them but I believe they are very low)

I don't have the statistics that you are asking for, but I do think it was a stranger attack. I also think the perp will be caught when he strikes again. At some point, he will make a mistake and his DNA will be matched. I also think someone he knows suspects him but isn't coming forward. Perhaps that person will come forward at some point and break the case open.

Jmo

I agree with you that it seems like he will feel he "has to"repeat this unfortunately. Also he will feel some confidence that he can get away yet again. Do you think he was the Princeton murderer and burning his DNA was him climbing the learning curve? Personally, and what do I know, I don't think anyone has a clue or they would have jumped at the reward money? Plus he is probably the stereotypical loner?

I agree with you that it seems like he will feel he "has to"repeat this unfortunately. Also he will feel some confidence that he can get away yet again. Do you think he was the Princeton murderer and burning his DNA was him climbing the learning curve? Personally, and what do I know, I don't think anyone has a clue or they would have jumped at the reward money? Plus he is probably the stereotypical loner?

I do not think the Princeton case is related. I also don't think the guy is necessarily a loner, but who knows. I think it was a guy who happened to be in the park and took the opportunity when he saw he could get away with it.

Jmo. Hope the case is solved sooner rather than later.

Edited to add.... I don't think the reward money will convince anyone to come forward. If someone comes forward it will be because they feel morally obligated or they want to hurt the perp. Money will have nothing to do with it, imo. Only my opinion.

Why would this perp burn her head,hands and feet to remove DNA ? If she was sexually assaulted ? I don't think the burning was to obscure DNA , but jmo.

Respectfully, this apparently was not "the one time she was jogging alone " Early on it was said that she didn't always jog with her dad.

Not entirely on topic, but close. I came across this map on the official NYC Crime Map site. It is set to report rapes per thousand residents for October 2016. The rate for the 106th Precinct, which includes Howard Beach, was very low, relative to most other areas.

Screenshot 2016-12-02 at 1.20.27 AM.png

Not entirely on topic, but close. I came across this map on the official NYC Crime Map site. It is set to report rapes per thousand residents for October 2016. The rate for the 106th Precinct, which includes Howard Beach, was very low, relative to most other areas.

View attachment 105429

Good find!

It is worth looking at other assaults in the area to see if it is the same person committing the crimes. Or, is he from another neighborhood? Or, à local to Howard Beach but committing crimes elsewhere....or where he lived in the past. I love maps and charts and appreciate this find.

Off to examine it more closely....

i stumbled across this page and it really is incredible to see so many people interested in her. as her cousin, i miss her more and more every day, especially with the holidays. but this is actually comforting. keep going guys, you rock❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 105429

Yes, very low. And this particular assault was over the top brutal. Similar in scope to the assault and murder of VM in Mass. also in an area with no/low such incidents......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl