NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg i can't believed this! I canned imagine how her patents feel. So a match for sure???
can't wait too see a picture of this dirt bag. I wonder if he resembles the sketch? I hope they are grilling him good

^^ RBBM

Not if he's in his 20's as has been reported.

This was in a news articles a few weeks after her death:
“I walked it several times, you walk to the Belt Parkway, to Fountain Avenue and Erskine Street,” Boyce said. “You would have to walk, you couldn’t drive a car — you could ride a bicycle.”
That area is so close

reports from New York post - Cops picked him up on a trespassing rap, and he voluntarily gave police a DNA sample, sources said. He had little or no criminal record, and his DNA had not been in the DNA database prior to the trespassing stop, sources said.

“I walked it several times, you walk to the Belt Parkway, to Fountain Avenue and Erskine Street,” Boyce said. “You would have to walk, you couldn’t drive a car — you could ride a bicycle.”
That area is so close
Yes Erskine Street is very close to the Spring Creek and walking distance. I always had a feeling the suspect lived in housing over there. I was actually there yesterday at the shopping mall. Always think about her and look at everyone around me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...arina-vetrano-article-1.2964411?client=safari

<snip>

Charges were pending, but the man is expected to be charged with her murder.

A law enforcement source said detectives picked up the suspect’s scent after they combed through stop, question and frisk reports from the neighborhoods around where Vetrano was killed.

The search turned up a possible suspect, and a DNA match soon followed, sources said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boyce spoke about East NY area approx 2 weeks after KV's murder in August bc of the lack of any poss perp being seen on video entering and/or leaving park:

<snip> Boyce said he walked the park area, part of a federal wetlands zone, several times and determined an assailant could have gone west along the Belt Parkway to Fountain Avenue or Erskine Street.

&#8220;So that is where part of our investigation is right now, into that area . . . you would have to walk, you couldn&#8217;t drive a car, you could ride a bicycle, there is a parallel bicycle path that runs along the Belt Parkway at that point,&#8221; Boyce said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...-karina-vetrano-increases-cops-say-1.12189720

20 year old living in public housing most likely with family. I wonder what they have been thinking the last 6 months. Did he come home all beat up and what story did he tell. So many questions I have.

I wonder if he was riding a bike that day like many of us had speculated. I think it's likely

Gateway Elton Apartments is one public housing I know that is nearby Spring Creek.
8c35045a0395e4c5355d4b4c90c0d04e.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...arina-vetrano-article-1.2964411?client=safari

<snip>

Charges were pending, but the man is expected to be charged with her murder.

A law enforcement source said detectives picked up the suspect&#8217;s scent after they combed through stop, question and frisk reports from the neighborhoods around where Vetrano was killed.

The search turned up a possible suspect, and a DNA match soon followed, sources said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AHH!
1. Almost screamed with happiness/shock when I heard the news, now of course it's something much, much more bittersweet on behalf of Karina's family.

2. I wonder what in the stop and frisk reports made investigators suspicious?? Defense wounds? And he voluntarily submitted a DNA sample some point after, I'm assuming? Since they couldn't exactly have done a "every male in ___ zipcode submit DNA sample" request. Many residents of public housing (ie, family members and other floating visitors) aren't reported on any official records.

There are negative implications to this policing strategy here but I'm beyond grateful it's resulted in such good news in this case. Justice at last. :rose:

Certainly, he didn't immediately ask for an attorney when they questioned this suspect a few weeks ago and he voluntarily submitted dna (if that's accurate) like the group in the Manhattan Joseph Comunale case did.

This is good news. Good job NYPD. Im happy for the family.

20 year old living in public housing most likely with family. I wonder what they have been thinking the last 6 months. Did he come home all beat up and what story did he tell. So many questions I have.

The family must have suspected him. They covered for him.

This is good news. Good job NYPD. Im happy for the family.

Absolutely. One hell of a fantastic job in a difficult case by NYPD and Chief of Dets Boyce. Very proud of them.

Any word from KV's father yet?

Certainly, he didn't immediately ask for an attorney when they questioned this suspect a few weeks ago and he voluntarily submitted dna (if that's accurate) like the group in the Manhattan Joseph Comunale case did.
WOW. This was in the works for awhile.

Absolutely. One hell of a fantastic job in a difficult case by NYPD and Chief of Dets Boyce. Very proud of them.

Any word from KV's father yet?
He is asking everyone to not share the news articles on facebook until it is official.

Breaking - suspect in custody!!! https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/new...arina-vetrano-article-1.2964411?client=safari

The suspect, whose name was withheld, was grabbed around 6 p.m. Saturday and taken into custody after sources said his DNA was matched to DNA recovered from Vetrano's body and cellphone, which was found in the marshy area in Spring Creek Park on Aug. 2, 2016.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...each-jogger-murderer-under-arrest-sources-say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this !!!! Wonderful news !

The family must have suspected him. They covered for him.

If he was stopped by police on an unrelated matter of suspicion (loitering? drug dealing? NOT claiming that's the case - but NYPD has been better about profiling and you have to be acting pretty sketchy to be stopped and questioned) I'm sure he was able to fabricate some excuse about his behavior/injuries or whatever related to other "activities." In neighborhoods that struggle with crime/poverty as much as East New York still does, I'm sure a 20's something family member is more likely seen as a drug dealer or gang member than a rapist and murderer in the face of suspicion.

Because we know nothing of his situation yet, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the family here re: "covering for him", and meaning no disrespect to the countless families in bad situations from such areas, who still manage to raise their children in loving, stable environments.

That area is so close

reports from New York post - Cops picked him up on a trespassing rap, and he voluntarily gave police a DNA sample, sources said. He had little or no criminal record, and his DNA had not been in the DNA database prior to the trespassing stop, sources said.

Awesome detective work, NYPD. Maybe Mr. V. and the Mrs. V. can sleep knowing there has been an arrest. :rose:

Wow. Trespassing is not even on the same level as a rape and murder. Dude jumped to the wild side suddenly. Wonder what was the provocation?
We know he had to have injuries due to KV fighting him so. I'll never forget KVs hand still clutching the grass from where she was being forcibly dragged off the track.

Even if he is/was living with family, my own experience and those of other parent/s I know who had children living home while still in their 20s...who saw them much anyway? In and out. Young adults, not teens. Ships passing in the night imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member