NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was he allowed to roam free in an area of New York where he didn't belong? Exactly what is the criteria for being allowed to roam in the area ? Is there a certain characteristic that you would like the police to look out for that says a person doesn't belong? Wrong colored shirt perhaps?
I can't speak for op but I took the meaning to be he was special needs and known to have outbursts (hearsay) so what was he doing roaming around with no supervision. But I waited because the wording landed like a cement boot. But I really think it's what op meant. (Hope)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All murderers at some point had no prior criminal history. Because of this guy's age I'm quite sure he's gotten away with plenty for a long period of time. He wasn't the salt-of-the-earth Forest Gump turned psychopathic killer overnight.

No one has been able to predict who will become a murderer or prevent murder from happening. There are clues, sure, but we don't punish people based on what they might do in the future. Understanding the minds of madness does nothing to deter crime other than satisfy our curiosity (and in many instances, unfortunately, it minimizes the crime, makes excuses for the perp and lays blame on the victim IMHO)

BBM. Exactly. Two of my children have been in ICT classes in elementary school. This means they are neurotypical kids who are in an inclusive classroom with children who have IEPs. Basically a classroom with kids who have special needs mixed with kids who don't.

sometimes the special kids with impulse control deficits will get physical, smacking or kicking or scratching. One boy stabbed my daughter with a pencil. On the whole, it has taught them compassion and understanding, and I didn't take my daughter out of that class. BUT the attitude of the teachers is "he can't help it, it's a part of his disorder".

I guess my point is that authority figures give these children a lot of leeway and they sometimes feel entitled to the excuse that "they can't help it". They get special treatment, which is not always bad but not always good.

Definitely NOT the profile many of us were expecting. I thought the perp was a seasoned killer.

This arrest gives me a weird feeling like something isn't right.... but DNA does. not. lie.

Just hoping Karina and her loved ones get justice.

I also wonder that why there was no police report. Why didn't the father report the "double mugging" to police??!?! Lots of questions.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Strange in a way - but so glad they got him, especially since the DNA match it to what was found under her finger nails! Wow, doesn't get better than that.
Interesting he sought medical help for his hand and that didn't raise red flags.... Something similar to Mickey Shunick's killer who went to a hospital (he had 4 stab wounds) and while he reported the wounds to LE saying they were the result of a mugging, LE didn't connect the dots when they interviewed him in the hospital.

WOW

Apologies if this has been posted already.

Officials at his prior Brooklyn HS followed protocol by reporting LC, then 15 yo, to NYPD in late May 2011. LC was taken to Kings County for eval and released.

Another incident, which occurred at the Bklyn HS the following month (June 2011), was documented by NYPD and LC was sent to a hospital for evaluation.

BUT, re this second incident:

<snip> Lewis was once more taken to the hospital and released.

By that point, he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, according to sources.

Also, the director of the more restrictive HS he graduated from spoke, stating he graduated in August 2015 (Second time I've seen 2015 grad year this morn) with no disciplinary record against him or threats to other students while attending MDP HS.

Ironically, a SpPath, who worked very closely with LC at MDP HS, spoke as well...shocked, no probs, etc.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/jogger-suspect-wanted-to-stab-all-the-girls-in-his-high-school/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ect-katrina-vetrano-slaying-article-1.2965412

WOW

Officials at his prior Brooklyn HS followed protocol by reporting LC, then 15 yo, to NYPD in late May 2011. Another incident, which occurred there the following month, was documented by NYPD and LC was sent to Kings County for evaluation.

BUT, after this second incident:

By that point, he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, according to sources.

Also, the director of the more restrictive HS he graduated from spoke, stating he graduated in August 2015 (Second time I've seen 2015 grad year this morn), with no disciplinary record against him or threats to other students while attending MDP HS.

Ironically, a SpPath, who worked very closely with LC at MDP HS, spoke as well...shocked, no probs, etc.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/jogger-suspect-wanted-to-stab-all-the-girls-in-his-high-school/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ect-katrina-vetrano-slaying-article-1.2965412

Difficult to prosecute a person diagnosed with such a serious illness as paranoid schizophrenia...was he medicated at the time of Karina's murder ? Complaint with his meds ?

I really was hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a conspiracy conversation. This young man went to the hospital, for injuries, his DNA placed him there, his confession sealed it. Unless he is Dave from Mystic River, I don't see him NOT being the perp. The great thing about our justice system is he will have lawyers appointed if he can't afford them, who can question every aspect of the case against him. Comparisons to Steven Avery are of little importance, as there are more layers to that case than an onion. If LE wanted to frame someone, I think they could have come up with someone better than a 20 year old guy with no priors to have better fit the profile.

Both schools followed appropriate protocol from what has been reported so far.

In my own experience with this ED label, I have seen it both ways. Those students who committed murder where I was not the least bit surprised, and one in particular who I and other team members/admin never had a problem with and described with superlative adjectives...this last one murdered 3 later that eve after leaving my classroom.

Father knows the issues.

I wonder how much resistant to meds (if any prescribed) and to the Dx did the parent/s put up if any?

Ugh, that article made me feel sorry for the guy. Sounds like he needs to be locked up in a mental institution.

WOW

Officials at his prior Brooklyn HS followed protocol by reporting LC, then 15 yo, to NYPD in late May 2011. LC was taken to Kings County for eval and released.

Another incident, which occurred at the Bklyn HS the following month (June 2011), was documented by NYPD and LC was sent to a hospital for evaluation.

BUT, re this second incident:

Also, the director of the more restrictive HS he graduated from spoke, stating he graduated in August 2015 (Second time I've seen 2015 grad year this morn) with no disciplinary record against him or threats to other students while attending MDP HS.

From the nypost article.

Officials at the Canarsie school called cops, and Lewis was taken into custody as an &#8220;emotionally disturbed person,&#8221; evaluated at Kings County Hospital and released, sources said.

bbm

Canarsie High School is a defunct public high school in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Canarsie in New York City. Closed in 2011, the building currently operates as Canarsie Educational Campus, housing several smaller high schools.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...c9fa6425956bc9!8m2!3d40.6411018!4d-73.8981466

SOME POSTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED.

Parents not wanting to believe their child has committed a horrible crime is not a nefarious thing warranting ridicule or sleuthing. It is a human thing and certainly not unusual. We see it in cases more often than not.

Some news outlets have reported that the accused's father is a retired principal/teacher. I have noticed posts that seem to suggest people want to sleuth the father's employment background. Do not do it. Posts that contain sleuthing of that nature will be removed.

The accused has a name. It is Chanel Lewis. Police have given no indication that they believe anyone else is involved. That means sleuthing anyone else is out of line per our rules.

&#8220;Everything we have revolves around one person,&#8221; Robert K. Boyce, the New York Police Department&#8217;s chief of detectives, said at a news conference. &#8220;We only have one DNA profile from that case, and it&#8217;s him.&#8221; https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/nyregion/howard-beach-ny-karina-vetrano.html

A man has been arrested and charged with killing a woman. Police say they have strong forensic evidence. Period. Do not make this conversation about race.

He was walking around Howard Beach with a crowbar. Looking in parked car windows. Going into backyards. I dont think the residents care what color shirt he wore.

I am not the OP but just wanted to say a word about shirt color. It can indeed be VERY meaningful to show up in a neighborhood that is not your own with the "wrong" color of shirt - because colors can signify gang membership. THAT IS NOT A FACTOR IN THIS CASE. I live in an urban area and there are even rules at park & rec facilities that t-shirts worn by anyone (including toddlers and senior citizens) must be white only without any colors to avoid any gang conflicts sparked by colors.

Again, this has nothing to do with CL as there is no indication whatsoever he belongs to a gang, but just wanted to mention why clothing color sometimes matters in city settings.

jmo

I can't speak for op but I took the meaning to be he was special needs and known to have outbursts (hearsay) so what was he doing roaming around with no supervision. But I waited because the wording landed like a cement boot. But I really think it's what op meant. (Hope)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is what i was saying also, if my son was 20 years old and had any type of mental illness or disability I don't think I would allow him to wander off for hours at a time without knowing where he was or what he was doing. Especially if he was a very quiet young man who didn't have a lot of friends and had been "bullied by neighborhood ****s".

Family Of Vetrano Murder Suspect Speaks Out :facepalm:

[video=youtube;h9DCfiD-GGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9DCfiD-GGs[/video]

Family Of Vetrano Murder Suspect Speaks Out :facepalm:

[video=youtube;h9DCfiD-GGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9DCfiD-GGs[/video]

Thanks Gardenista for posting the video. I'd better keep my comments to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy