GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He felt pressured (saying Karina looked "buff" and bigger than her attacker?) to convict yet says justice was served?!?

Geez, what a jury member. If he thought justice was served, what was the pressure he felt? I going to assume that he means the deliberations were heated at times - that happens. Otherwise, he sounds like he didn't really understand how it all works.

FWIW, I think LE got the right perp....but how the confession was obtained is a concern. We want the criminals to be convicted, but we also want the investigation to follow the rules.

Tough case.

Think there will be an appeal?

jmo

Think there will be an appeal?
DEFENSE TEAM:
"Mr. Lewis has a lot of strong appeal issues. . ."
"We will appeal immediately . . ."

Jury Finds Chanel Lewis Guilty Of Killing Queens Jogger Karina Vetrano

APR 2, 2019 9:31 AM
[...]
However, another trial may be on the horizon. "We’re disappointed in the outcome and we believe Mr. Lewis has a lot of strong appeal issues, such as the denial of suppression and Brady hearings; late discovery, like in the case of the medical record disclosure in the middle of a retrial; and issues related to Mr. Lewis’ initial stop," one of the defense attorneys, Julia Burke, said to the Queens Daily Eagle.

And the Legal Aid Society strongly condemned the judge for rejecting the defense team's demand to investigate the allegations made in the anonymous letter: "We wholeheartedly disagree with Judge Aloise’s precipitous rejection of our request for a hearing to investigate potential Brady violations by the New York City Police Department and the Queens County District Attorney’s Office that could have well changed the outcome of the case. Exculpatory information was reported and confirmed that was never revealed to the defense and that could have exonerated Mr. Lewis, yet the court declined even to allow exploration of the issue. This is a complete miscarriage of justice. Judge Aloise also kept jurors for well over 12 hours — an unprecedented action — to extract a verdict. Our client did not receive a fair trial. We will appeal immediately to a court that can afford Mr. Lewis the fair review he has thus far been denied."
[...]

More detail about what the juror told reporters:
Jury finds Chanel Lewis guilty of killing Karina Vetrano

April 01, 2019
[...]
A male juror who spoke on condition of anonymity after the trial ended told the Eagle and other reporters that Russo’s hourlong pursuit of Lewis through Howard Beach reminded him of George Zimmerman following Trayvon Martin before shooting and killing Martin in a Florida neighborhood.

Nevertheless, the juror said that he and the other 11 jurors were convinced that Lewis killed Vetrano. He and two others were not initially convinced that Lewis sexually abused her, however.

Eventually, the other jurors convinced the three reluctant jurors to find Lewis guilty on all four charges against him.
[...]

Oh so glad to hear this! Justice for Karina's family!

Ugh, that juror in the article above. So afraid of this Steven Avery effect impacting juries, just as the CSI effect has too. Still, I hope LE and prosecutors continue to work on following procedures and being conscious of these types of things.

That article is just fodder for people who want to find the next Steven Avery, in the way it is written.

Oh so glad to hear this! Justice for Karina's family!

Ugh, that juror in the article above. So afraid of this Steven Avery effect impacting juries, just as the CSI effect has too. Still, I hope LE and prosecutors continue to work on following procedures and being conscious of these types of things.

That article is just fodder for people who want to find the next Steven Avery, in the way it is written.
Most Judges will ask both sides if they want the Jury polled after the verdict is read.
If the Judge doesn't ask, then he/she must allow enough time for both parties to ask the Judge to poll, before the Jury is dismissed.
Being "pressured" or "persuaded" is one thing. Being "coerced" is another.
I read a few articles with the juror's quote and unless I missed
something, the NY Post was the only media source that used the phrase "pressured?"

Edit:
Here's the rule on polling:
Rule 31 (section d)
Below section d is an amendment that states polling can be done either as a group, or individually. I think it should be done individually, but that's jmo.
Rule 31. Jury Verdict

Last edited:
More detail about what the juror told reporters:
Jury finds Chanel Lewis guilty of killing Karina Vetrano

April 01, 2019
[...]
A male juror who spoke on condition of anonymity after the trial ended told the Eagle and other reporters that Russo’s hourlong pursuit of Lewis through Howard Beach reminded him of George Zimmerman following Trayvon Martin before shooting and killing Martin in a Florida neighborhood.

Nevertheless, the juror said that he and the other 11 jurors were convinced that Lewis killed Vetrano. He and two others were not initially convinced that Lewis sexually abused her, however.

Eventually, the other jurors convinced the three reluctant jurors to find Lewis guilty on all four charges against him.
[...]

Also, from your link above:

<snip>

The prosecution also introduced new medical records related to a hand injury for which Lewis received treatment on the same night of Vetrano’s murder. The prosecution did not introduce that evidence in the first trial.

Also, from your link above:

<snip>

The prosecution also introduced new medical records related to a hand injury for which Lewis received treatment on the same night of Vetrano’s murder. The prosecution did not introduce that evidence in the first trial.
Yes, last week I posted about the "new" medical records that were presented in this trial.
In a new twist for the retrial, Queens prosecutors used Prial, who had also testified in the last trial, to introduce additional microscopic evidence from Lewis’s outpatient hospital treatment for a hand injury the day after Vetrano died.
Here is my 03/27/19 post:

Autopsy photos of Vetrano shown to jury in retrial
March 27, 2019 8:59 PM
[...]
Dr. Margaret Prial told jurors in the trial of Chanel Lewis that the petite Vetrano suffered multiple abrasions, contusions, cuts and bruises, as well as injuries that were sexual in nature.
[...]
In a new twist for the retrial, Queens prosecutors used Prial, who had also testified in the last trial, to introduce additional microscopic evidence from Lewis’s outpatient hospital treatment for a hand injury the day after Vetrano died. Prosecutors with the Queens District Attorneys Office contend the injury to Lewis’s right hand was sustained as he pummeled the 4-foot 11-inch Vetrano in the park during a fit off anger. They are using Lewis's medical records from his treatment at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn to build a more extensive collection of circumstantial evidence against him.

An X-ray of Lewis’s right hand indicated a tiny foreign object near the cut fifth metacarpal joint on his right hand, which one doctor said was a classic boxer injury, an assessment with which Prial agreed. The foreign object wasn’t identified but Prial indicated it could have been a chip from a broken bonded tooth in Vetrano’s mouth. Prial also said lab cultures showed Lewis had four types of bacteria in the cut on his hand: two types generally found in the human mouth, one in feces and another in brackish water. Lewis confessed to trying to clean his injured hand in a puddle where he beat Vetrano but denied sexually abusing her, authorities have said.
[...]
Prial said the extensive bruising and scraping to Vetrano’s neck and chin indicated the hands of her attacker enveloped her throat. Asked by assistant district attorney Brad Leventhal what the cause of death was, Prial answered: “strangulation.”

The autopsy also revealed deep internal lacerations to Vetrano’s genital area, with signs of fresh bleeding, Prial said. Prosecutors and police have alleged that Lewis not only strangled Vetrano but also sexually abused her. Asked by Leventhal if those injuries could have been sustained by a foreign object or a finger, Prial said yes.

Exclusive: Jury foreman on Karina Vetrano verdict - 'It was a slam dunk'
Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019 6:14PM
[...]
Outside his apartment in Queens, foreman Brian Morrissey said the jury had very little difficulty reaching a verdict.
"It was a slam dunk case, a slam dunk case," he said. "The DNA was overwhelming. One in a trillion, one in a billion. He confessed to it. It was not coerced. What can I say?"
"That's what I saw it as, a slam dunk case," Morrissey said. "You know, that's what I would say. I tell (the defense) right to the face, slam dunk case."
[...]
Sentencing is scheduled for April 17. Lewis faces life in prison without parole.
[...]

NYC jogger Karina Vetrano’s killer boasts about landing 'front page' of newspapers following conviction
April 3, 2019
Convicted killer Chanel Lewis boasted about landing the “front page” of the two major New York City tabloids a day after he was convicted of sexually assaulting and strangling jogger Karina Vetrano in August 2016.

“I’m on the front page — of both papers,” Lewis said in his jailhouse phone interview with the New York Daily News on Tuesday. The "papers" Lewis was referring to are the Daily News and The New York Post.
[...]
Phil Vetrano said hearing the guilty verdict was “just total jubilation.”

“He is definitely going to get what he deserves,” Vetrano said. “Sometime down the road, he’s going to meet up with Karina again, and this time, he’s not going to bushwhack her, and this time, she’s going to have [the angel] Gabriel on one side and [the angel] Michael on the other and on his way down, she’s going to take care of him for good.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222
Back