GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We are at a disadvantage when giving opinions on this case. All we know ( or think we know) is based on media reports. In my case I miggggggght know a little bit more because I know some of the characters involved etc.

For now the question that gets my interest is the phone call to Karina from her father and he yells on the phone : Where The F--K Are You. I would like to know if the timeline between Karina leaving the house and the time the father made the call. Was there enough time that passed where one could be reasonably concerned? I tend to remember it was no more than a half hour, or thereabouts.

Then we have that story about the mother just getting home for an operation from Sloan Kettering? What the hell is that all about? Sloan Kettering??? What sort of disease does that conjure up in your mind. Why all the superfluous BS? Maybe because it is all BS?

Her mom had cancer

Just now found this Queens Daily Eagle article from Monday -
Justice Michael Aloise continues to stand and pace behind the bench, again wearing a purple tie
The jury is also majority white
The foreman (retired LE) scowled throughout opening statements
“I haven’t been in court but I’ve heard it looks like they can be fair,” Phil Vetrano wrote on his Go Fund Me page Monday morning

^^ I get the sense of a tainted jury.

Jury Hears Opening Statements in Retrial Of Chanel Lewis

March 18, 2019

A 12-person jury of Queens residents — six men and six women — heard opening statements Monday in the retrial of Chanel Lewis, the man accused of killing Karina Vetrano as she jogged near her Howard Beach home on Aug. 2, 2016. Lewis’ first trial ended in a split jury in November 2018.
[...]
The key figures remain the same for the retrial: Assistant District Attorneys Brad Leventhal and Michael Curtis are prosecuting the case and Justice Michael Aloise continues to stand and pace behind the bench, again wearing a purple tie.

Defense attorney Jenny Cheung sat beside Lewis, with Robert Moeller and Julia Burke completing the Legal Aid Society defense team.

The demographics of the 12-person jury and the three juror alternates have changed significantly, however. The jurors are much older on average than in the first trial, where the majority of jurors seemed younger than 40.

The jury is also majority white this time around, compared to just a handful of white jurors last time.

The foreman, who scowled throughout opening statements, is a retired law enforcement officer, according to a person familiar with jury selection.

“I haven’t been in court but I’ve heard it looks like they can be fair,” Karina Vetrano’s father Phil Vetrano, who testified at the first trial about finding his daughter’s body, wrote on his GoFundMe page Monday morning. “We were blindsided the last time. How neiva [sic] to think the evidence is all you need.”
[...]

Karina Vetrano murder: Neighbor, NYPD lieutenant testify in Chanel Lewis' retrial (with clip)

March 21st, 2019

"HOWARD BEACH, Queens (WABC) -- Testimony is continuing Thursday in the retrial of a man accused of murdering a jogger in Queens. ...

The prosecution called two witnesses Thursday morning. First was Angelo Gurino, a neighbor in Howard Beach who called 911 in May of 2016 to report "a suspicious person standing on the corner, looking at my house." ...

Next on the stand was NYPD Lieutenant John Russo, a neighbor who remembered Lewis having been in the area and whose recollection, months later, led police to identify Lewis as a potential suspect.

Prosecutors also released the final selfie Karina Vetrano took at her home moments before leaving, with her mother in the background. ..."

Karina Vetrano murder: Neighbor, NYPD lieutenant testify in Chanel Lewis' retrial

5210348_032119-wabc-karina-vetrano-fnal-selfie-img.jpg

He Confessed to Beating a Jogger Who Died. Questions About Race and Policing Led to a Retrial.
March 24, 2019
[...]
Now, as the retrial of Mr. Lewis, 22, proceeds in State Supreme Court in Queens, the case has dredged up questions about coerced confessions, racial profiling and the fallibility of the police — issues that have hung over New York City’s criminal justice system for decades.
[...]
Before the second trial began on March 18, prosecutors sought to weed out potential jurors who, during questioning, said they or someone they knew had had a negative experience with law enforcement. Most of those members were either black men, or women who recounted incidents involving someone they knew who had been profiled or treated badly by the police.

Ronald L. Kuby, a civil rights lawyer, said trials were often won or lost during jury selection. “In a case like this that is fraught with race and police overreaching, and questions about a rush to judgment, the defense would like a diverse jury with diverse life experiences,” he said.

In the end, half of the 12 jurors chosen to decide Mr. Lewis’s fate were white, including four men. The remaining six members are black, Hispanic and Asian. There are no black men on the jury. The jury that served on the first trial included three white members.

With an older and whiter jury, prosecutors with the Queens district attorney’s office have sought to reinforce what they believed all along: that the evidence of Mr. Lewis’s guilt is overwhelming. The prosecution has also tried to counter the defense’s argument that the evidence was mishandled or contaminated.

The jury, like the first panel, will have to determine Mr. Lewis’s guilt or innocence based almost entirely on his statements to the police and the DNA evidence. There are no witnesses to the murder, and no other scientific evidence like fingerprints, hair or blood.
[...]

2nd jury hears taped confession in murder trial of Vetrano suspect

MAR 25, 2019

"...Defendant Chanel Lewis was shaking slightly as the confession played in Queens Supreme Court, even though he had clearly seen the video before. His mother set aside her bible and looked quizzically at the screen, as though it was her first time seeing Lewis, 22, describe the events leading to the jogger’s death.

The defense claims the confessions were coerced, and the videos were not enough to convict Lewis last year when his first trial ended with a hung jury in November...."

2nd jury hears taped confession in murder trial of Vetrano suspect

More than a year ago I heard a story on why this happened. Heard that story long before Lewis was arrested. It kind of made sense to me back then. If it was true I suspected it would be very difficult to solve or not be solved.

This past Sunday I was with a relative I haven't seen in a bit. He has the same story but the connection to the fellow in the above paragraph is non-existent.

From all that I observed with this case and my life experiences and with my expericences with the system AND some of the characters involved is all I can tell you that based on ONLY what most of us know of what we read in the papers is I put more value on the stories I heard are more true than the case on trial.

I should point out I really tend to believe the stories I heard although they may not have been carried out to the murder of Karina.

Jurors watch accused 'confessing' to killing Queens jogger - but defense claims it was coerced | Daily Mail Online

'I got angry... one thing led to another': Accused 'shakes' in the courtroom as jurors watch video of him 'confessing' to killing Queens jogger Karina Vetrano - but defense claims the admission was coerced
  • Chanel Lewis, 22, is accused of raping and strangling jogger Karina Vetrano
  • He allegedly beat her and dumped her body in bushes in Spring Creek Park
  • Body was found near her home by her father Phil Vetrano during police search
  • Despite a video taped confession and DNA evidence first trial saw a hung jury
  • The video confession was played to the Queens Supreme Court during the retrial
Despite the DNA evidence and a taped confession, the first trial ended in a hung jury in last November.

The defense claims the confession was coerced by detectives who wore Lewis down until he finally gave them what they wanted, 'a story', and that the DNA evidence was suspect.

It was also claimed the confession was from evidence he had seen on the news.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/28/prosecution-and-defense-rest-in-slain-jogger-retrial/
Prosecution and defense rest in slain jogger retrial
March 28, 2019 | 7:27pm
Both the prosecution and the defense on Thursday rested their cases in the retrial of the man accused of slaying Queens jogger Karina Vetrano.

The court heard about DNA evidence found on the 30-year-old’s mangled body — that they said matched alleged killer Chanel Lewis. While the defense tried to poke holes in the expert testimony, they also opted to rest without calling any witnesses.

Closing statements are scheduled for Monday morning, after which the case will be in the hands of the jury.
[...]

Both sides rest in retrial of accused jogger killer
March 28, 2019 8:55 PM
[...]
By using a different method of analysis, Razzano said in Thursday testimony, the DNA found under two of Vetrano's fingernails was hundreds of billion times more likely than not to have come from her and Lewis rather than an unknown male.

In a different strategy from the first trial, Leventhal then brought out the concept of “secondary" DNA transference— where DNA from one person may be transferred to a victim by a third person. Razzano said transference is a known phenomenon but her analysis of the amount of genetic material found on Vetrano showed that Lewis’s DNA had undergone a direct “primary” transfer to the victim’s neck and cellphone.
[...]
Aloise told the jury of seven women and five men that they could expect to begin deliberations on Monday and would be provided lunch and dinner if necessary.
[...]

Autopsy photos of Vetrano shown to jury in retrial
March 27, 2019 8:59 PM
[...]
Dr. Margaret Prial told jurors in the trial of Chanel Lewis that the petite Vetrano suffered multiple abrasions, contusions, cuts and bruises, as well as injuries that were sexual in nature.
[...]
In a new twist for the retrial, Queens prosecutors used Prial, who had also testified in the last trial, to introduce additional microscopic evidence from Lewis’s outpatient hospital treatment for a hand injury the day after Vetrano died. Prosecutors with the Queens District Attorneys Office contend the injury to Lewis’s right hand was sustained as he pummeled the 4-foot 11-inch Vetrano in the park during a fit off anger. They are using Lewis's medical records from his treatment at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn to build a more extensive collection of circumstantial evidence against him.

An X-ray of Lewis’s right hand indicated a tiny foreign object near the cut fifth metacarpal joint on his right hand, which one doctor said was a classic boxer injury, an assessment with which Prial agreed. The foreign object wasn’t identified but Prial indicated it could have been a chip from a broken bonded tooth in Vetrano’s mouth. Prial also said lab cultures showed Lewis had four types of bacteria in the cut on his hand: two types generally found in the human mouth, one in feces and another in brackish water. Lewis confessed to trying to clean his injured hand in a puddle where he beat Vetrano but denied sexually abusing her, authorities have said.
[...]
Prial said the extensive bruising and scraping to Vetrano’s neck and chin indicated the hands of her attacker enveloped her throat. Asked by assistant district attorney Brad Leventhal what the cause of death was, Prial answered: “strangulation.”

The autopsy also revealed deep internal lacerations to Vetrano’s genital area, with signs of fresh bleeding, Prial said. Prosecutors and police have alleged that Lewis not only strangled Vetrano but also sexually abused her. Asked by Leventhal if those injuries could have been sustained by a foreign object or a finger, Prial said yes.

Lawyers in Vetrano murder trial to challenge prosecutors after anonymous letter says info was withheld from defense
MAR 29, 2019 | 6:55 PM
Lawyers for the man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano are going to file motions on Monday, based on an anonymous letter, alleging prosecutors failed to disclose information that could increase doubt about the suspect’s guilt, sources said.

The Legal Aid Society received an anonymous letter that claimed cops initially believed two “jacked up white guys from Howard Beach” murdered Vetrano while she was jogging in Spring Creek Park on Aug. 2 2016, and that an NYPD official made that comment in meetings with senior investigators. The letter was also sent anonymously to a Daily News reporter.

The significance of the remark is that it suggests cops initially suspected one or more white men of killing Vetrano, not Chanel Lewis, who is black.
[...]
The anonymous letter claimed detectives who took DNA material from Lewis after he was detained told a senior officer that Lewis was “too dimwitted and puny” to have committed the crime. The letter claimed that was passed on to another senior officer but not disclosed to the defense.

The letter alleged that the initial stop of Lewis was illegal because there was no specific justification for stopping him and police did not complete a stop and frisk form as required. It’s illegal to “swab” someone for DNA without particularized suspicion of criminal activity. A lawyer familiar with the case said, “The courts have held that you can’t go up and seek consent. You have to have some element of criminality.”

The letter claimed an NYPD officer lobbied for all white males in Howard Beach to be swabbed, and that when DNA recovered from Vetrano’s body appeared to match a black male, the officer verbally ordered all black men arrested in Brooklyn and Queens to be swabbed for DNA, including all black men arrested in Howard Beach.
[...]

There are two stories that have been circulating: 1. The grandson of a very infamous gangster killed Karina. 2. Father got into debt with the Russian Mafia and told them to get lost. The Russian that got beat had his brother do the deed and that same night put him on a plane back to Russia.

Mods,

Please can a thread be started for Carolina Cano of NJ? She went for an early morning jog and was found in a lake.

Jury Sees Piece of Chanel Lewis’ Web History On Day Six of Retrial
March 27, 2019
[...]
Leventhal also presented into evidence a list of 137 websites that were contained in Lewis’ cellphone web history. The web pages included Google searches like “What is DNA?,” a New York Times article titled “The Price of a Second Chance” and the Wikipedia page for the “Sacrament of Penance.”

The pageviews also included a Google search for “What does a prosecutor do?” and nearly every one of the amendments to the U.S. Constitution.

In several instances, the web pages were viewed in quick succession, based on time-stamped information contained in the list.

For example, Lewis’ Feb. 4, 2017, web history included a Google search for “What is prosecution” at 7:42 a.m., a Southern Poverty Law Center article titled “Are their limits to prosecutorial discretion” at 7:52 a.m., a search for the term “prosecutorial discretion” at 7:57 a.m., the Wikipedia page for “discretion” at 7:59 a.m. and the Wikipedia page for “prosecutorial discretion” at 7:59 a.m.
[...]
As for the manner in which Lewis arrived at specific webpages, such as the articles about familial DNA or prosecutorial discretion, Burke suggested that they could have been linked from other pages that someone using Lewis’ phone clicked on, like Wikipedia or the general “crime” tag on the Daily News website.

“You couldn’t detect what search terms were used to get to that page?” she asked. “You cannot tell from the data how the user got to that website?”

Rivera answered yes to both questions.
[...]

Check the dates when the above happened. They coincide with the dates of the arrest and the web searches. What do you think you would be doing if you knew you were going to be arrested for murder.

Check the dates when the above happened. They coincide with the dates of the arrest and the web searches. What do you think you would be doing if you knew you were going to be arrested for murder.
Exactly! . . . no reports or testimony about web searches between NOV 2016 and FEB 3, 2017.
There was testimony about cached photos:
Jury Sees Piece of Chanel Lewis’ Web History On Day Six of Retrial
[...]
NYPD Computer Crime Scene investigator Josue Rivera took the stand to testify about web history and cached data — what Rivera called a “small copy” of an original photo or file

One of the thumbnails depicted a portion of a dark-skinned hand with a cut near the thumb joint — medical records introduced into evidence during the first trial show that Lewis received treatment for a hand wound the night of Vetrano’s murder. Another photo thumbnail showed NYPD officers standing in Spring Creek Park, where Vetrano’s bruised body was discovered on Aug. 2, 2016. There were also two identical photos of Vetrano that are commonly included in news coverage related to her murder.

None of the photos were stored on Lewis’s cellphone camera roll.
[...]
The limited memory capacity on Lewis’ ZTE phone meant that Rivera could only access data between November 2016 and Lewis’ arrest on Feb. 4, 2017.
[...]
The defense team contends that the way the phone user arrived at certain websites or accumulated certain photo files was more complex than a simple search, however.

During cross examination, defense attorney Julia Burke pointed out that the way the person using the phone arrived at the websites did not mean someone actively searched for the information.

If you knew you were going to be arrested for a murder only days later what would you do? What would his family do. I think a very important factor is how many web searches were done in the time span of the murder and the time of the arrest.

The further away from the arrest the more significant it may be. If there are searches long before the arrest then (IMO) it raises cause for suspicion as Lewis should have no reason to do so unless he was guilty. I can only go on what I read here and the newspapers. But one item pointed out on this Board is a search was done by Lewis on 2/4. He was arrested and charged on 2/5.

Anyone thinks the prosecution doesn't know what is going on with the jury deliberations then I have that bridge to sell you. IMO, the very idea the judge calls a mistrial without even once making a Allen Charge is ridiculous.. IMO, the DA feared the case was going against them and they allowed the mistrial without a fight.
The defense should try a novel approach and file an appeal for Double Jeopardy, because, that IMO is what it really is.

I should add that I have no strong opinion on Guilt or Innocence. I just know some of the players in this very questionable prosecution.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793
Back