GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Queens DA's Office Hits Restart on Howard Beach Jogger Murder Trial
March 11, 2019
[...]
During the first trial, Justice Michael Aloise prevented the defense from introducing testimony they said would support Lewis’ case. It is unclear whether that testimony will be allowed in the retrial.

Home surveillance cameras show Karina running into the park, but thousands of video clips accumulated from cameras along the Belt Parkway, Howard Beach homes and area businesses fail to capture Lewis in the area, investigators said. Aloise stopped an investigator testifying for the defense from telling that to the jury, however.

Leventhal and Curtis successfully argued to preclude testimony from a Verizon employee who was working on a telephone pole near the crime scene during the time of the murder. The defense attorneys said the worker saw three people enter and exit the park — none of whom were Lewis.
[...]
This is what they do - hide the evidence that may be favorable to the defendant. The judge in this case is only an extension of the DA. i have my doubts now about the guy's guilt.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/queens-joggers-accused-killer-transferred-for-overusing-phone/
Queens jogger’s accused killer transferred for overusing phone
March 12, 2019 | 7:36pm
Jury selection began Tuesday for the man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano — while a judge revealed the suspected killer had been shipped out to a jail in Long Island for constantly yakking on the phone at Rikers.

“You understand why you’re at Riverhead right now?” Judge Michael Aloise asked Chanel Lewis ahead of jury selection for his retrial in Queens Supreme Court. “You’ve been abusing your privileges, calling 311 multiples times a day.”

Aloise told the 22-year-old he’d bring him back to Rikers Island for the upcoming trial, if he promised to behave himself.
[...]
No jurors were selected Tuesday.

Opening statements are expected Monday. If convicted, Lewis faces up to life behind bars.

Jury Selection Begins for the Retrial of Chanel Lewis
March 12, 2019
Jury selection began Tuesday for the retrial of Chanel Lewis, the man accused of killing Karina Vetrano as she jogged near her Howard Beach home in August 2016 — but no jurors were selected on Day One.

More than 100 potential jurors from across Queens filed into the Queens Criminal Courthouse’s cavernous ceremonial courtroom, where Justice Michael Aloise said the entire trial would take place. One man carried a copy of the New York Post, while the woman sitting next to him held a book titled “Witches, *advertiser censored* and Feminists.”
[...]
That first trial lasted seven days and ultimately ended with a split jury when jurors told Aloise they were “hopelessly deadlocked” after 13 hours of deliberations.
[...]
Aloise said that this time around, the trial would likely last between three and three-and-a-half weeks.

6 jurors picked in Karina Vetrano murder retrial
Updated March 13, 2019 7:54 PM
After a full day of court proceedings Wednesday, the first six jurors were selected in the retrial of a Brooklyn man accused of killing Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano in 2016 as she ran in a park near her home.
[...]
Jury selection continues Thursday.

The jurors selected Wednesday included five men and one woman. Among the men was a former New York City corrections officer from Bayside as well as a theatrical producer from Forest Hills. The sole woman selected so far lives in Elmhurst. Five of the six are married.

Legal experts and law enforcement officials noted that the first jury appeared to be younger and was selected only after about nine hours of selection. The current jury selection process may go through another day or two before a full panel is chosen .
[...]
The potential jurors were also asked if they believed it possible that someone might falsely confess to a crime. Lewis gave two confessions but his statements were coerced by cops and made after he was held for hours without being allowed to make a telephone call, said his lawyer during the first trial.

A Queens County based NYS Supreme Court Justice told me when I asked him what he thought of the prosecutor who is now prosecuting this case spoke volumes of words with only 3 words: " He's a Nazi."

I would hate to think anyone reading my posts would believe I would take up the defense of a murderer. The question is: Is Lewis guilty?

For most of my 29 years in the NYPD I often believed the cops and prosecutors hands were tied, criminals were allowed to go free. Nothing but a bunch of BS. Truth is the chips are stacked heavily on the side of the prosecution. The obstacles put in the way of the defenses are monumental.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/queens-joggers-accused-killer-transferred-for-overusing-phone/
Queens jogger’s accused killer transferred for overusing phone
March 12, 2019 | 7:36pm
Jury selection began Tuesday for the man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano — while a judge revealed the suspected killer had been shipped out to a jail in Long Island for constantly yakking on the phone at Rikers.

“You understand why you’re at Riverhead right now?” Judge Michael Aloise asked Chanel Lewis ahead of jury selection for his retrial in Queens Supreme Court. “You’ve been abusing your privileges, calling 311 multiples times a day.”

Aloise told the 22-year-old he’d bring him back to Rikers Island for the upcoming trial, if he promised to behave himself.
[...]
No jurors were selected Tuesday.

Opening statements are expected Monday. If convicted, Lewis faces up to life behind bars.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Karina Vetrano’s mom to testify in retrial of accused killer Chanel Lewis
March 18, 2019 | 11:41am
The retrial of the accused killer of slain Queens jogger Karina Vetrano opened Monday — and new witnesses expected to testify in the case include the victim’s mother.
[...]
The mom did not testify at Lewis’ first trial, which ended in a hung jury.
[...]

Slain jogger's mother among those testifying in new trial
March 17, 2019
The mother of slain Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano is among those expected to testify in the retrial of a Brooklyn man charged with her murder, which opens Monday in Queens State Supreme Court in Kew Gardens.

Catherine Vetrano, whose emotional cries for justice in the days after her daughter was found dead in Spring Creek Park saturated the media, is on a list of potential witnesses read aloud in court last week and slated to be called by prosecutors in the trial of Chanel Lewis.
[...]

I hope the DA doesn't resort to such theatrics by bring the mother to the stand. The father is a credible witness because he found his daughter. There is no reason (IMO) to put the mother on the stand.

A Queens County based NYS Supreme Court Justice told me when I asked him what he thought of the prosecutor who is now prosecuting this case spoke volumes of words with only 3 words: " He's a Nazi."

Throwing around terms like “Nazi” for people you don’t like or disagree with may be in vogue these days, but seems oddly reckless for a state Supreme Court justice. I hope he’s more measured and thoughtful when making legal judgements. JMHO.

I hope the DA doesn't resort to such theatrics by bring the mother to the stand. The father is a credible witness because he found his daughter. There is no reason (IMO) to put the mother on the stand.
Agree. Seems bizarre. Mom will testify that ?? ___________ ??
Never heard of trial testimony to simply "offer an emotional plea for justice".
Karina Vetrano murder: Opening statements wrapped up in retrial

03/18/2019
Unlike in the first trial, Vetrano's mother is reportedly among those expected to testify against Lewis to offer an emotional plea for justice.

Karina Vetrano murder: Opening statements wrapped up in retrial
03/18/2019
HOWARD BEACH, Queens (WABC) -- Opening statements wrapped up Monday in the retrial of a man charged with murdering Karina Vetrano while she was out for a jog in Queens.
[...]
"He squeezed and he squeezed and he squeezed," said Assistant District Attorney Brad Leventhal. "He choked her until she couldn't resist anymore. He choked her until she couldn't struggle anymore. He choked her until she couldn't breathe anymore. He choked her until she died, alone, scared."

But the defense sought to rekindle the same doubts that led to last year's mistrial.

"This awful crime was not committed by that young man," said defense attorney Jen Cheung. "Chanel did not murder Karina. He did not sexually assault her either. Ladies and gentlemen, you won't hear evidence linking Chanel to a sexual assault. You won't see Chanel's blood or body fluid, shoeprints or hair at the crime scene. You won't see his fingerprints at the crime scene either."

Despite DNA evidence and an on-camera confession, jurors in the first trial found themselves deadlocked with real concerns about how police conducted their investigation.
[...]

Retrial Begins For Chanel Lewis, Accused Of Killing Queens Jogger Karina Vetrano
March 18, 2019 at 4:18 pm
[...]
Prosecutors say he confessed twice to attacking and raping the woman after being picked up in 2017, but the defense argued it was coerced.

“After spending 12 hours isolated, alone and scared, and after continuously telling police I do not want to talk, I don’t know anything, Chanel finally gave police what they wanted: A story,” said defense attorney Jenny Cheung.

The prosecution will again show DNA evidence linking Lewis to DNA found on Vetrano’s neck, fingernails and phone. The defense told jurors it doesn’t prove Lewis is guilty.

“You won’t see Chanel’s blood or body fluid, shoe prints or hair at the crime scene,” Cheung said. “You won’t see his fingerprints at the crime scene either.”

The first witness, a detective, took the stand after opening statements.

The trial resumes Tuesday morning.

Throwing around terms like “Nazi” for people you don’t like or disagree with may be in vogue these days, but seems oddly reckless for a state Supreme Court justice. I hope he’s more measured and thoughtful when making legal judgements. JMHO.
I'd trust the judge with life. He had no one to impress as we were having a drink. He is such a quiet guy I could mention his name and I am sure most would have never heard of it. I have no problem with the remarks as I know what the ADA is capable of.

The judge is known as a DA judge - no secret. The murder case was brought to the court by the DA. The DA presented a case with a 'confession' and "DNA"., and yet the jury was deadlocked with a ground ball of a case. Judge calls a mistrial and doesn't give the jury an Allen Charge ! Unheard of !
Anyone thinks the DA and judge doesn't know what is going on in the jury room if they wanted to know then I have that bridge to sell you.

Leventhal puts his case together and presents it to the jury and he doesn't want to see it through to verdict?

We had a case in Queens many years ago that was as big as this, if not bigger. Had two suspects off the bat. One was of inferior intellect. He looked like this guy in this case. He confessed to the murder of the young girl. Our boss said, no good - we need more. The guy simply wasn't believable because of his IQ. I can tell you ALL of us believed he did the deed so it wasn't a matter of disagreeing with others.

While doing that case we stumbled upon a case where a lady senior was murdered in her bed. Stumbled on the killer in that case.

The so called confession in this case doesn't mean that much to me. Better to have it then not have it. But with people like Lewis it is always a problem.

Lloyd Mitchell‏ @Lloydphoto 5m5 minutes ago
Photos: Cathie Vetrano (right) mom of slain jogger Karina Vetrano was back in court on Monday for the start of another trail after the first trail was declared a mistrial in November. #LloydMitchellPhotography #onthestreetsinBrooklyn #Photojournalism

D1-zidJWoAAEmyh.jpg
D1-zrobX0AIn4U1.jpg

D1-zsGvW0AAn8JX.jpg
D1-zqpGX0AECurD.jpg

NBC New York‏Verified account @NBCNewYork 15m15 minutes ago
The defense returned to its previous arguments, saying the confession was coerced by detectives who wore Lewis down until he finally gave them what they wanted http://4.nbcny.com/LR5fQdx

Shannan Ferry‏ @ShannanFerry 7h7 hours ago
Retrial underway for Chanel Lewis, the man accused of killing Karina Vetrano while she was jogging in Howard Beach in 2016. Despite two taped confessions and DNA evidence, the jury could not come to a consensus in the first trial @NY1.

(video clip: Shannan Ferry on Twitter )

'He Choked Her Until She Died, Alone, Scared': Opening Statements Wrap Up in Retrial for Karina Vetrano's Accused Killer (with clip)
On Monday, prosecutors described in detail how Vetrano was sexually abused and strangled. Her father found her body

Mar 18, 2019

"...During opening statements on Monday, Assistant District Attorney Brad Leventhal claimed Lewis "choked her until she couldn't struggle anymore."

"He squeezed and he squeezed and he squeezed," Leventhal said. "He choked her until she couldn't resist anymore. He choked her until she couldn't struggle anymore. He choked her until she couldn't breathe anymore. He choked her until she died, alone, scared."...

On Monday, the defense returned to its previous arguments, saying the confession was coerced by detectives who wore Lewis down until he finally gave them what they wanted, "a story," and that the DNA evidence was suspect...."

Karina Vetrano Died 'Alone, Scared,' Lawyer Says at Retrial

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties