NY - Leah Walsh, 29, Bethpage, 26 October 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
November 2, 2008
Leah Walsh Buried as Reports of Abuse Continue to Come In

This morning in Rockville Center, the funeral was held for Leah Walsh, the Long Island teacher murdered by her husband earlier this week. A neighbor told Newsday that every seat was filled in the ceremony that was followed by her burial in Pinelawn. Those in attendance did not include the family of William Walsh, the man being kept in solitary after being arrested for the murder of his wife. Today's Post explores the history of the couple, painting an ugly picture of Leah living in fear of her hard drinking and sometimes violent husband who cops say "slapped around and publicly humiliated (her) as he bedded other women." Neighbors say that police had to visit the Walshes' home more than once, but that Leah never pressed charges against her husband.

http://gothamist.com/2008/11/02/leah_walsh_buried_as_reports_of_abu.php

She either believed in the good of other people or was too scared to press charges or leave him sooner. :(

More on the brother's arrest:

http://www.1010wins.com/Brother-Arrested-in-Bid-to-See-Wife-Killing-Suspec/3254399

What a shame that Leah didn't have more confidence in herself and know that she had a way out.

This kind of goes in line with the article I posted earlier today.

:(
JMHO
fran

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-liwals0412135584nov04,0,6926017.story?track=rss

Leah Walsh worked as Howard Stern radio intern in 1999
BY LAURA RIVERA

8:49 PM EST, November 3, 2008

In a radio interview with Howard Stern nearly a decade ago, a 20-year-old intern named Leah Hirschel spoke candidly about her hard luck with men.

I delved into this and I did not see a Richard associated with any of the names.

Father William. Brothers Stephen and Thomas. Sister Virginia. Mother possibly Denyse. Grandmother Peggy Ann.

Thank you!

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liwals1106,0,2265053.story

Joshua Hirschel stared unblinkingly as court officers brought his brother-in-law into the courtroom in handcuffs.

It was the first time Hirschel had seen William Walsh Jr., 29, since the Bethpage man was charged with killing his wife - Hirschel's sister, Leah Walsh.

Walsh, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, kept his head bowed throughout his brief court appearance. Leah Walsh's father and brother did not look away from Walsh while he was in the courtroom, their hands folded in their laps, their brows furrowed.

Nassau County Court Judge Edward Maron ruled that Walsh cannot afford a lawyer, and appointed attorney Ronald Bekoff to represent him.

Here is the website for the attorney, William Petrillo. He is the local Defense Attorney involved in a big case around here for the past couple of years.

http://williampetrillo.com/

check out the outcome of his cases... very interesting.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=666705

A philandering husband allegedly strangled his wife to death, smeared her in peanut butter and dumped her body in a ditch hoping wild animals would devour the evidence, a report claims.

New York police say William Walsh, 29, has admitted to killing wife Leah after the pair had an explosive argument about his infidelities in the early hours of October 26.

Walsh dumped her body then tried to make it appear like she had been kidnapped by making public pleas for help, police allege.
Now a report in the New York Post claims Walsh's morbid plan included having his wife's body eaten by wild animals. Police earlier stated the dead teacher's body was found covered in peanut butter.

(Sorry if I missed this before. I just read it and find it bizarre.)

??? http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liwill1204,0,3706845.story

William Walsh wants evidence from prosecutors

An attorney for accused wife killer William Walsh is looking for any information that might show that someone besides his client killed Leah Walsh in October.

William Petrillo of Rockville Centre asked prosecutors to turn over any tips they might have gotten that show anyone other than William Walsh might have been responsible for the death of his wife, a 29-year-old special education teacher.

Petrillo also asked for a written statement police say Walsh signed confessing to the murder.

more at link.

Suspect in wife's strangling may have stabbed her too

William Walsh may have done more than just strangle his wife before he dumped her body in the woods in October, according to an indictment charging him with murder. He may have stabbed her as well.

While police have said Walsh confessed to strangling the 29-year-old special education teacher, the indictment handed up last week indicates that a knife may also have been used in the crime.

More at link.

from: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liwals1912472921feb20,0,3890811.story

In William Walsh's version of events, what might have been a simple marital spat about his faithfulness turned deadly in the instant that his wife, Leah, slapped him in the face.

"I snapped," Walsh told police in a signed statement. "I grabbed her around the neck with my right arm and put her in a choke hold."

Walsh, 29, of Bethpage, described both details of his wife's slaying and its cover-up in three signed statements to police made in the days after his wife's killing last October. This week, the statements, which were written by detectives and signed by Walsh, were made publicly available for the first time, a week after he was indicted on a charge of murder.

Both prosecutors and Walsh's defense lawyer, William Petrillo of Rockville Centre, declined to comment. Leah Walsh's father, Howard Hirschel of Rockville Centre, also declined to comment.

In his first two statements after Leah Walsh disappeared, Walsh played the role of the attentive husband, telling how he spent the weekend with his wife watching the Giants game, going out to buy her takeout and searching the streets looking for a florist so he could buy her roses.

He also told police about text messages he and his wife sent to each other in the minutes before her disappearance, saying "I love you bunches," and "Mwah," messages he later told police he sent himself from Leah's phone.

In his final statement to police, Walsh told a much darker tale. He detailed how he came home late Oct. 26, 2008 after a day spent gambling in Atlantic City. He said he and Leah relaxed and were affectionate after he got home, but said that things turned ugly when she began questioning him about someone named Maryann.

Walsh told police it was after the two fell to the floor that Leah stopped struggling.

"As I was holding her down with my right hand to her neck, she stopped moving," Walsh said in the statement. "I knew she was dead, so I started crying. ... I didn't know whether to call the cops. I didn't know how they would perceive it."

Walsh then got two Hefty trash bags out of the kitchen closet, covered his wife's body with them and left her on the bedroom floor, the statement says.

The following night, he drove around with her body until he found a dark place, the statement says. He took Leah's body out and left it in the woods, the statement said.

The body was found two days later by a worker at the North Hills Country Club.

Walsh says in the statement that at some point he stabbed Leah in the neck with an ivory-handled paring knife, but it is not clear when. Prosecutors have not said whether they believe Walsh stabbed her before or after she died. Walsh said he threw the knife out of his car as he drove on the Long Island Expressway. It has not been recovered.

The next morning, Walsh let the air out of the front right tire of Leah's car, then drove it to the side of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway to make it look like she'd gotten a flat, the statement says.

When he got home, he saw something that could put a finishing touch on his crime: A lunch that he had packed for his wife the previous Friday, the statement says.

"I wanted it to look like Leah was home in the morning and made herself lunch for work," Walsh said in the statement. "So I drove to her car ... and opened it up and then placed the lunch bag on the floor."

But as he turned to leave, Walsh saw something that authorities said would bring the perfect cover-up crashing down around him, according to his statement.

"I saw the emergency truck behind my car," he said.

It was the driver of that truck who later told police that he'd seen Walsh at the scene.

Thank goodness for stupid criminals. At least he will never hurt an innocent person again.

Finally, this family can begin to heal. idiot finally confesses after 2 years. WHYYYY did he have to drag this out and take so long? :banghead:

May Leah now rest in peace.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/walsh-pleads-guilty-to-killing-wife-1.1925073

A Bethpage man who strangled his wife after she questioned his fidelity pleaded guilty Thursday to second-degree murder and faces 18 years to life in prison.
William Walsh told Judge David J. Ayres in Nassau County Court that on Oct. 26, 2008, after a night of drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana in Atlantic City, he came home and argued with his wife, Leah Walsh, then 29.
Walsh's anger with his wife boiled over, according to Nassau County police, after she questioned his fidelity. He strangled her, hid her body in the woods, staged her disappearance and made phony emotional pleas for her safe return.

Police said Walsh originally confessed to the crime on Oct. 29, 2008, hours after his wife's body was discovered near the Long Island Expressway in North Hills, police said.
Walsh told the court Thursday he decided to take the plea to spare the victim's family a lengthy trial.
"I truly am sorry," he said. He is scheduled to be sentenced June 23.
Leah Walsh, who worked at a special-education school in Glen Cove, was identified by detectives using fingerprints on file from a criminal-background check done when she became a teacher, police said.
Her disappearance, which was treated as a missing-person case at first, gained national attention when William Walsh pleaded for help finding his wife.
"I just wanna know where she is. I want my wife," he said to reporters about an hour before his arrest.
After killing his wife, police said Walsh ran errands throughout the day in an attempt to create an alibi for himself as the body lay in their home.
At nightfall, Walsh moved his wife's body into her own Ford Focus to dispose of the remains.
He left it near Exit 9 on the side of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway after letting the air out of a tire, police said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67
Back