NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about Maureen Brainard Barnes this morning. It strikes me as one hell of a strange coincidence that she gets robbed of her days earnings, calls friends from the bus terminal saying she is coming home, and then just happens to disappear. This whole scenario creates a whole host of questions in my mind.

Did she call friends from the bus terminal because she was about to catch a bus home right then? If so, did she already have a bus ticket purchased? Possible. If she was robbed of her money earlier, and didn't already have a ticket, how was she going to pay for it? If she had a credit card or checks with her, the ticket purchase would be easily traceable, so I can only assume that she either already had a ticket, or planned to buy one and never did.

If she already had a ticket, or somehow bought a ticket there, how come she didn't just get on the bus and go home, like she indicated to friends that she was going to do? How did she end up the victim of the SK, when she was already right there at the bus terminal about to head home? I sure don't think our SK took one look at MBB in the terminal, decided she was a prostitute and offered her some quick cash. 1). I've seen pics of MBB, she had a very wholesome girl next door look to me. 2). I don't get the impression that MBB was the type to streetwalk. Is it possible? I guess. Especially if she desperately needed the case (to get home, whatever). But for that scenario to work, our SK would have already had to have been at the bus terminal, would have had to peg MBB as a sex worker, would have had to have approached her and struck a bargain, and she would have had to agree to car date a stranger. All that could have happened, but it just seems to me that all the planets really would have had to align for that, you know?

If MBB already had an appointment to meet a regular, why would she have been at the bus terminal heading home? She wouldn't, I don't think. Unless she didn't have the cash for her room anymore and had to sleep in the terminal. If that were the case, she wouldn't have had the cash to buy a ticket either, so maybe she would have taken up with a stranger...I don't know.

In fact, I honestly don't know what to make of MBB's story. Which, I guess, is why I'm pondering aloud here. Maybe you guys have some clearer thoughts than I do. If so, I'd sure love to hear them, because I've hit the wall on this one.

I've just been loosely following this case in the news. Did they mention if any of the women who were IDd were certain types of prostitutes? In other words, were they the kind that just walked the street, or were they high priced call girls with important clients?

The volume of kills and the location makes me wonder if it wasn't also a dumping ground by underworld figures, getting rid of their women who weren't doing business properly, or who were threatening to leave or blow the whistle.

I've just been loosely following this case in the news. Did they mention if any of the women who were IDd were certain types of prostitutes? In other words, were they the kind that just walked the street, or were they high priced call girls with important clients?

The volume of kills and the location makes me wonder if it wasn't also a dumping ground by underworld figures, getting rid of their women who weren't doing business properly, or who were threatening to leave or blow the whistle.

Not streetwalkers (which is the lowest rung on the ladder, and the least expensive). Not super high dollar call girls either. All 4 known victims, as well as Shannan Gilbert were mid-level sex workers who advertized on Craigslist. They weren't cheap, but they weren't the most expensive, either.

Thinking about Maureen Brainard Barnes this morning. It strikes me as one hell of a strange coincidence that she gets robbed of her days earnings, calls friends from the bus terminal saying she is coming home, and then just happens to disappear. This whole scenario creates a whole host of questions in my mind.

Did she call friends from the bus terminal because she was about to catch a bus home right then? If so, did she already have a bus ticket purchased? Possible. If she was robbed of her money earlier, and didn't already have a ticket, how was she going to pay for it? If she had a credit card or checks with her, the ticket purchase would be easily traceable, so I can only assume that she either already had a ticket, or planned to buy one and never did.

If she already had a ticket, or somehow bought a ticket there, how come she didn't just get on the bus and go home, like she indicated to friends that she was going to do? How did she end up the victim of the SK, when she was already right there at the bus terminal about to head home? I sure don't think our SK took one look at MBB in the terminal, decided she was a prostitute and offered her some quick cash. 1). I've seen pics of MBB, she had a very wholesome girl next door look to me. 2). I don't get the impression that MBB was the type to streetwalk. Is it possible? I guess. Especially if she desperately needed the case (to get home, whatever). But for that scenario to work, our SK would have already had to have been at the bus terminal, would have had to peg MBB as a sex worker, would have had to have approached her and struck a bargain, and she would have had to agree to car date a stranger. All that could have happened, but it just seems to me that all the planets really would have had to align for that, you know?

If MBB already had an appointment to meet a regular, why would she have been at the bus terminal heading home? She wouldn't, I don't think. Unless she didn't have the cash for her room anymore and had to sleep in the terminal. If that were the case, she wouldn't have had the cash to buy a ticket either, so maybe she would have taken up with a stranger...I don't know.

In fact, I honestly don't know what to make of MBB's story. Which, I guess, is why I'm pondering aloud here. Maybe you guys have some clearer thoughts than I do. If so, I'd sure love to hear them, because I've hit the wall on this one.

some accounts say she vanished from the bus terminal but this one says she vanished from her hotel room & that her cellphone pinged on Long Island.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Cann’s sister, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, had gone missing from her Manhattan hotel room nearly three years earlier, in July 2007. Police had subsequently linked her phone activity to a cell phone tower on Long Island. In 2008, police helicopters and cadaver dogs had scoured the same marshy, desolate area, but found no signs of Brainard-Barnes, a sweet-faced brunette with a passion for poetry.

obviously the killer has some link to midtown Manhattan...since that's where he made the taunting calls from....

and Barthelemy had an arrest record in Manhattan as well.

Hi All, I think I used to have an account here back in 2005 or 2006. Just want to mention the white truck that was captured on both the Google & Bing Satellite images. Also want to say that I used street view and moved the length of the OP manually and never once saw any image (they were dated Google 2009) that showed even a single vehicle pulled onto the grassy shoulder...hummm. My feeling is that whoever is dumping these people along the side of the OP, they are doing it in broad daylight and in a vehicle that no one would question or stop to assist as it pulled off and onto the shoulder.

Both Nassau and Suffolk County Animal/Pest Control have official trucks as well as subcontract out to private Animal Control and DEC or County approved and certified companies. They also do the same with Tree Maintenance Companies. For now, as I already typed this and switched screens only to lose my typing, I will show you a link that shows the type of truck that both Nassau & Suffolk County use. It is nearly identical to the one in the satellite images. Here is the link. Just scroll down the page to the middle and you will see the vehicle/truck. http://www.nassaucountyanimalcontrol.com/Suffolk-County.html

It doesn't look completely identical to me. The animal control vehicles are cab-and-a-half. The truck in the Bing maps appears to be a full double cab, with a long bed. It also appears to stand quite high off the ground and could be 4WD.

I have been reading here since the "2nd" set of bodies were discovered dumped by the side of the OP. I have a few theories about this case as it relates to other cities (Wilmington, NC, AC NJ, Daytona Beach, Florida and possibly in the Maine/NH border) and the killing and dumping of prostitutes.

One theory is there is a Serial Killer who has reason to be in different resort areas at certain times of the year and whose presence and type of vehicle, along the side of a highway, does not draw attention.

The other theory entails organized groups of people who may initially work together as independents in the sex trade industry. At some point, someone, say a guy who owns lots of rental properties, hooks up with the independant girls and their drivers/pimps/drug dealers. Then lets say the property owner suggests that the women can use his properties when they aren't booked by actual vacationers (ie: typically in between guests just after the big holiday weekends - Mon, Tues, & Weds evenings.) At some point, let's say, the property owner or even his business "associates" try to recruit the call girls but for some reason they find the women to be a risk to the business and reputation of the other players and if they won't play along with, a few robbery scams, etc. or if they just want out and say "if I can't leave I will bust this thing wide open." Once this or a similar scenario occurs, then they are killed.

Another theory is that another group is trying to eliminate the independent competition. When they can't recruit them they spread rumors of scams and STDs, etc and when that doesn't work the competition sets the women up and they walk right into the ugly trap which is meant to send a message to other independent call girls.

These last two scenarios don't really fit the SK profile and are related to a national or area-wide sex trade industry. If either of these theories turns out to be the case then it may be that whoever is in charge just wants this to look like a serial killer.

As far as the ticket goes, she could have had a round-trip ticket from when she left Connecticut. That would be the normal way to make that trip. It would also make sense that if she called from the bus terminal, that she was about to get on the bus.

But you're right, the rest does not fit. It's certainly unlikely that she was meeting another client under those circumstances. It's probably worth noting that there are other women missing from bus terminals in Manhattan and also in Camden NJ.

I'm curious if anyone thinks that it would be a very good idea for Nassau & suffolk as well as the FBI to get a search warrant for the home of the man in Garden City who strangled his 88 year old mother to death and then "tried" to kill himself. Garden City is almost exactly center to, IIRC, Carbuff's loop on the map of these crimes/sightings and disappearances.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=8088421

I have been reading here since the "2nd" set of bodies were discovered dumped by the side of the OP. I have a few theories about this case as it relates to other cities (Wilmington, NC, AC NJ, Daytona Beach, Florida and possibly in the Maine/NH border) and the killing and dumping of prostitutes.

One theory is there is a Serial Killer who has reason to be in different resort areas at certain times of the year and whose presence and type of vehicle, along the side of a highway, does not draw attention.

The other theory entails organized groups of people who may initially work together as independents in the sex trade industry. At some point, someone, say a guy who owns lots of rental properties, hooks up with the independant girls and their drivers/pimps/drug dealers. Then lets say the property owner suggests that the women can use his properties when they aren't booked by actual vacationers (ie: typically in between guests just after the big holiday weekends - Mon, Tues, & Weds evenings.) At some point, let's say, the property owner or even his business "associates" try to recruit the call girls but for some reason they find the women to be a risk to the business and reputation of the other players and if they won't play along with, a few robbery scams, etc. or if they just want out and say "if I can't leave I will bust this thing wide open." Once this or a similar scenario occurs, then they are killed.

Another theory is that another group is trying to eliminate the independent competition. When they can't recruit them they spread rumors of scams and STDs, etc and when that doesn't work the competition sets the women up and they walk right into the ugly trap which is meant to send a message to other independent call girls.

These last two scenarios don't really fit the SK profile and are related to a national or area-wide sex trade industry. If either of these theories turns out to be the case then it may be that whoever is in charge just wants this to look like a serial killer.

bbm

I've wondered about this myself. There's something about the way the bodies are found that makes it seem staged. Maybe it's just because we don't have all the information LE has.

I do not want to keep arguing about the drug thing, but I have been reading a lot of the comments written by johns who frequently mention they do not want to give money to a stoned, drunk, or nodded out prostitute. They get angry and leave. I think you are confusing two separate subcultures. The pros do their drugs on their own time. A john would be crazy to give PCP to a girl who would become freaked out and a pros would certainly not want to have a freaked out PCP user on their hands. I am sure girls with any sense at all guard againt any drug being slipped into their drinks. I would think the reasons why are obvious. The descriptions of these half hour to one hour encounters, which is the most most of them can afford, are strictly business transactions. Some of them don't want the pros to even talk to them or kiss them. They are both on the clock. Doesn't sound like much of a party to me.

Redbird, the "wet" was in regards way back to the naked guy running out of the house. We were talking in relationship to a "house".

Hey, I'm a straight female and I wouldn't want to have sex with someone drunk, stoned or nodding. Of course they aren't going to want to pay for that.

Obviously I can't speak for all prostitutes, but going in there you better hope you just shot up at least a bag of heroin. It's an ugly place to be so being high at least filters it somewhat. Vicious circle as Reannan so eloquently put it.

As far as the ticket goes, she could have had a round-trip ticket from when she left Connecticut. That would be the normal way to make that trip. It would also make sense that if she called from the bus terminal, that she was about to get on the bus.

But you're right, the rest does not fit. It's certainly unlikely that she was meeting another client under those circumstances. It's probably worth noting that there are other women missing from bus terminals in Manhattan and also in Camden NJ.

Unless the robber left her with an ID, she wouldn't have been able to get on a bus. Maybe she realized this after the call, and then called a trusted client who was actually the SK?

I wonder if any of these women were involved in a "sugar baby" type relationship with the SK. Has anyone looked over those types of sites?

Just heard on the radio (WBAB) that Suffolk Crimestoppers is going to announce a BIG REWARD for the person who supplies the crucial inside tip (aka "snitch")that leads to the arrest of the SK!

Watch how well money motivates people to talk!!

Just heard on the radio (WBAB) that Suffolk Crimestoppers is going to announce a BIG REWARD for the person who supplies the crucial inside tip (aka "snitch")that leads to the arrest of the SK!

Watch how well money motivates people to talk!!

Unless the robber left her with an ID, she wouldn't have been able to get on a bus. Maybe she realized this after the call, and then called a trusted client who was actually the SK?

I wonder if any of these women were involved in a "sugar baby" type relationship with the SK. Has anyone looked over those types of sites?

I don't think they normally check ID on buses. And if that was a problem, you'd think she'd mention it to her friend, wouldn't she?

I just realized after reading thru some prior posts that the house across the street from Brewer I posted a screen shot of belongs to Msgr Alan Placa and that's he's been posted about before in this forum...(a priest with a history of sexual abuse of boys who just happens to also own an uptown Manhattan apartment.)

scroll down on this page to see the post:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

What *if* the serial killer didn't actually have sex with these prostitutes? I've read profiles online from various sources and they say that serial killers generally have a total disdain for their victims.

Our posters estimate these girls were in the $200-$500 range, depending on length of time and type of services.

One girl was going out on a $1500 call when she disappeared. (Amber Costello).

Wow. The SK is possibly right under our noses. Someone people trust. Someone who may turn the bodies to the East for some sort of religious message. Someone who has a residence on LI and in Manhattan. Someone without a 9 to 5 job, can come and go.

Our posters estimate these girls were in the $200-$500 range, depending on length of time and type of services.

One girl was going out on a $1500 call when she disappeared. (Amber Costello).

I think we should take that $1500 amount with a grain of salt since the information came from Amber's roommate/driver. Did anyone corroborate that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay