NY-LI-4 bodies on Beach-Possible SK-12/10-All id'd,4 more found 3/11 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, the 4 has been abandoned for some. I and others are intrigued by the possibility of there being a pattern to the disposal or placement of the bodies. Some sort of message, method to his madness, so to speak. This aerial photo someone posted last night (Thank you to the poster I cannot recall at the moment!) of the position of the 4 AC bodies has caught some posters' attention and has led to speculation as to what it evokes-DNA strand, Braille, Morse Code, etc. Course, could be all a random NADA:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/23/nyregion/23slay.2.ready.html

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/DNA_forensics_2/09t.html

Epiphany, I understand looking for a pattern and think that's a good idea but I was just saying the number FOUR seems to have lost it's significance in the LI case now that we have seen the map of where all the bodies were found. The map indicates a group of 5, 1 by itself, and a set of 2.

"Cops have found a ninth set of human remains on the Nassau County side of a remote barrier island where eight decomposed bodies have been discovered since December, a source told The Post this afternoon.

"They are human remains. It’s not a complete body, they are partial human remains," the source said, providing no other details.

State Police Capt. James Dewar said the remains were discovered about 11:30 a.m. on the north side of Ocean Parkway about 1 1/2 miles from Jones Beach.

Searchers "did locates some bones, and those bones will be transported to the Nassau County Medical Examiner’s office," Dewar confirmed, without elaborating.

"Cops have found a ninth set of human remains on the Nassau County side of a remote barrier island where eight decomposed bodies have been discovered since December, a source told The Post this afternoon.

"They are human remains. It’s not a complete body, they are partial human remains," the source said, providing no other details.

State Police Capt. James Dewar said the remains were discovered about 11:30 a.m. on the north side of Ocean Parkway about 1 1/2 miles from Jones Beach.

Searchers "did locates some bones, and those bones will be transported to the Nassau County Medical Examiner’s office," Dewar confirmed, without elaborating.

I'm dying to know who this inside source is that only talks to the NY Post.

Damn, that NY Post! Prayers for that leaky source if LE finds out who they are!

Long Island Serial Killer Calls Sister of Melissa....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/long-island-serial-killer-calls-sister-melissa-barthelemy/story?id=13346276

This isn't the first time a family of a murder victim has had their other daughter taunted. I think he truly just enjoys messing with their heads... I don't think he'd actually go after the little sister. Definitely better to take precautions though, just like they did with the Smith family.

Bell kidnapped 17-year-old Sharon "Shari" Faye Smith at gunpoint from the end of her driveway on Platt Springs Road on May 31, 1985. Her car was found running, with the door open.

Her body was later found in Saluda County, South Carolina.

He then kidnapped ten-year-old Debra May Helmick near Old Percival Road in Richland County, South Carolina.

Bell forced Smith to write a "Last Will and Testament" before he murdered her, and taunted her parents by telephone.

Throughout the largest manhunt in South Carolina history, Bell made eight telephone calls to the Smith family, often speaking with Shari's sister, Dawn.

Bell eventually gave exact directions to the locations of both of the bodies and described to the family how he had killed Smith.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It happened May 31st, 1985. Just a few days from her high school graduation, Shari Smith stopped her car in front of her family home in Lexington County, got out at the mailbox and was abducted. Seeing Shari’s car outside, her father commented to his wife, “Shari’s home.” When she failed to come in, though, Bob and Hilda Smith found their daughter’s car still at the mailbox, the engine running, the door open and her purse inside.

While a team of law enforcement officers camped at the Smith home during the search for Shari, the kidnapper repeatedly called the family, toying with them by telling them Shari was still alive – when he had killed her within twelve hours of the abduction.

It was five days before they found her body; almost a month before they caught her killer, Larry Gene Bell. In that time, he also killed a Richland County girl and continued to call the Smith home, even describing how he’d taken Shari’s life.

“There was fear on so many levels,” said Jordan. “Fear of what he was doing to my sister, fear of him killing her, fear that she would become dehydrated because she didn’t have her medicine (for water diabetes), fear of what it was doing to my parents, and fear that he would try to get me (which he threatened on the phone).”

http://www.dawnsmithjordan.com/article_ROC.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/Larry_Gene_Bell

It's possible there are two people killing as a team, but imo that article was just pointing out that LE is looking at multiple people as the possible killer, and does not mean there is multiple killers.

I also find the NYPost being very credible with gritty stories like this. It's right up their alley.
Not to say they wouldn't run with a source that's not exactly solid, but I think overall their crime reporting is good.

Hi, Evelyn24. As you say, "multiple suspects" doesn't mean that the objects of police suspicion are imagined to be working in tandem.

I think that the New York Post has a very mixed record with crime stories. And a "law enforcement source" might mean any guy in the department willing to chat.

Meanwhile, the four women whose bodies were originally found were all choked to death, sources told The Post.

The four women were found near each other in December. All four died as a result of strangulation, sources said.

Parents of two of the victims told The Post that they recently received death certificates that listed the cause of death as "homicidal asphyxia."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...r_bodies_PhQgRYvzEhviJgS9E98j6J#ixzz1JFAD2DmH

"debris" and "certain things found" ((per the link above))

any little bits of burlap I wonder?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eIQ_uYX2TE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

If the latest bones were found by a cadaver dog then they are probably human remains. I don't think cadaver dogs are trained to alert on animal remains. I bet they are human.

as per ABCNews: Police sources also revealed today that an eighth body found by seachers are the remains of what they believe was a toddler about 18 months old. It's not clear whether the toddler's death was connected to the serial killer's spree.

This is heartbreaking....

Meanwhile, the four women whose bodies were originally found were all choked to death, sources told The Post.

The four women were found near each other in December. All four died as a result of strangulation, sources said.

Parents of two of the victims told The Post that they recently received death certificates that listed the cause of death as "homicidal asphyxia."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...r_bodies_PhQgRYvzEhviJgS9E98j6J#ixzz1JFAD2DmH

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't realized MSM released that COD information, I only heard about it on FB so I felt weird saying it on here without any confirmation (although I think I did say it once anyway).

If the latest bones were found by a cadaver dog then they are probably human remains. I don't think cadaver dogs are trained to alert on animal remains. I bet they are human.

ITA.

I think they have a good idea they're human but want to make it official before saying anything.

ok so do we start searching missing 18 month olds.. how old are the bones????

My Opinion Only:
She may have mistaken/not known where she was going, or where she was exactly. Relying on a driver does this to you.

However, previously mentioned, when a bunch of guys on FI rent a house and there is real "partying", sometimes they call for a girl or girls. So do some of the boaters who anchor in garbage cove, hemlock cove, etc. I know for a fact from Fire Island patrons and friends who have gone there during the summer that many of the girls are called at night and take a water taxi. These are little 17' motor boats that carry 3-4 people at most. They are expensive but it offers 24 hour transportation for people who aren't on a ferry schedule.
They order strippers too.

SG may have been to Fire Island earlier if her driver took her to Bay Shore for a water taxi. Possible? yes. Probable?....... :waitasec:

Interesting. I was working on this aspect yesterday, found the water taxi and came to same conclusion. SG might have gone to FI that way first (as reported), then transferred by boat to Oak Beach, (where we know she ended up), but didn't seem likely. There's another aspect though - if there's any suggestion that others were partying with JB, I think it's entirely possible that these folks could have arrived by boat, not car, from FI.

Soulmagent was saying it's not that kind of place, but adding what you're saying now makes me think that there are pockets on FI where playboys do hang out and quite possible they move around by boat in ways that other people use cars - either privately owned boats, or taxis.

I come to two conclusions:

1. SG could be in the channel or bay if they had access to a boat that night.
2. SG could have been called to FI before.

I think number 2 is quite likely and explains why she agreed to go all that way to a desolate area - she wasn't unfamiliar with the area - she'd been called to service people on FI or Oak Beach before.

Question for MrsG: Do you happen to know if there are speed zones around there of 5mph and how far do they extend?

as per ABCNews: Police sources also revealed today that an eighth body found by seachers are the remains of what they believe was a toddler about 18 months old. It's not clear whether the toddler's death was connected to the serial killer's spree.

This is heartbreaking....

Wow. I wonder if one of the victims had a child. It's possible it's unrelated. It would be a weird coincidence if it's not related, though.

Fire Island is mostly not that kind of place. It's very laid back and not shee-shee or fancy by any means. Your'e lucky people wear shoes.

But there are prostitutes occassionally, there are young people who have parties, and when I've gone, I have seen 1 or 2 girls going back to shore that didn't look as um....... beachy as the rest of us. :innocent:

Maybe he switched careers and had easy access to burlap in 2007?

If the Atlantic City ones are 2006, reportedly no burlap...

The unidentified Long Island ones are reportedly older than 2007, reportedly no burlap...

The identified Long Island ones reportedly with burlap are 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2010.

He may have simply added the burlap with the 4 that have been identified, starting in 2007.

Maybe he had easier access to it, or maybe it was simply more practical for some reason?

Only four of the LI victims were in burlap. Or maybe the guy ran out. Who knows.

June 2010 - Megan

July 2009 - Melissa

Cause of death was able to be determined...

Allegedly also for Maureen in July 2007 and Amber in September 2010.

2007 is a long time to be able to tell someone was strangled, every single bone must have been found...

Lorraine Ela and Lynn Barthelemy,
mothers of two of the women who were killed, confirmed to The Post that they had gotten the certificates in the mail

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...r_bodies_PhQgRYvzEhviJgS9E98j6J#ixzz1JFEQtDYb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babycakes15