NY NY - Manhattan, WhtFem, UP104647, 70-80, found unresponsive after residential fire, tentative name Gilda Abramowitz, March 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As uncommon as the name seems, I'm starting to think there must indeed be two Gilda Abramowitz'. The one posted above is nine years younger. Plus the different times of year for the husband's death. But on the other hand, how wild would it be that there are two married Gilda Abramowitz' whose husbands die the same year, in the same city? Did the neighbours have a name for her (the Doe's) husband?

As uncommon as the name seems, I'm starting to think there must indeed be two Gilda Abramowitz'. The one posted above is nine years younger. Plus the different times of year for the husband's death. But on the other hand, how wild would it be that there are two married Gilda Abramowitz' whose husbands die the same year, in the same city? Did the neighbours have a name for her (the Doe's) husband?

I'm an old genealogist. Don't have much direct experience in Jewish records, but recognize Weiss & Abramowitz as rather common Jewish surnames in the US, with spelling variations. Much of my research is in Iowa & Illinois and these surnames are there as well. Weiss means "white" in German & in Yiddish, Abram refers to the patriarch Abram/Abraham, the 'witz' syllable means child of or family of.

Just an example:

In a city with the population of New York, finding 2 couples with the same names might be odd, but not completely unexpected.

And my housekeeper theory stands. :cool:

jmho

I'm an old genealogist. Don't have much direct experience in Jewish records, but recognize Weiss & Abramowitz as rather common Jewish surnames in the US, with spelling variations. Much of my research is in Iowa & Illinois and these surnames are there as well. Weiss means "white" in German & in Yiddish, Abram refers to the patriarch Abram/Abraham, the 'witz' syllable means child of or family of.

Just an example:

In a city with the population of New York, finding 2 couples with the same names might be odd, but not completely unexpected.

And my housekeeper theory stands. :cool:

jmho

It does look like there's at least one other Gilda Abramowitz in New York after searching :eek: someone by that name sued her property management in 2020, along with her partner. He had a stroke in 2019 according to the documents. Doesn't look like it's the same person as either of these, although I can't conclusively rule out that it's 'our' Gilda. There's also someone by that name who signed a statement from a feminist group in the 70s, but that could be any of the now-possibly-three Gildas. Goodness, I'm going Gilda mad! o_O I didn't consider Gilda a common name before. I guess maybe it's not really used here across the pond.

A 1964 school photo can be seen on ancestry. I stink at posting photos but I'm giving it a try.

North Miami Senior High School, North Miami Florida

Gilda Abramowitz, age 16, born abt 1948

While it is a b/w photo, imo... I'd be surprised if this young lady had blue eyes... which would contradict the description in the news report of the fire.

1687189137748.png

It does look like there's at least one other Gilda Abramowitz in New York after searching :eek: someone by that name sued her property management in 2020, along with her partner. He had a stroke in 2019 according to the documents. Doesn't look like it's the same person as either of these, although I can't conclusively rule out that it's 'our' Gilda. There's also someone by that name who signed a statement from a feminist group in the 70s, but that could be any of the now-possibly-three Gildas. Goodness, I'm going Gilda mad! o_O I didn't consider Gilda a common name before. I guess maybe it's not really used here across the pond.

According to Nuwber look-up, this Gilda is associated with the person with the lawsuit.

A 1964 school photo can be seen on ancestry. I stink at posting photos but I'm giving it a try.

North Miami Senior High School, North Miami Florida

Gilda Abramowitz, age 16, born abt 1948

While it is a b/w photo, imo... I'd be surprised if this young lady had blue eyes... which would contradict the description in the news report of the fire.

View attachment 429906
If you compare her to the other girls, she definitely has blue or green eyes. But i dont think its "our" Gilda, whose married name was Abramowitz.

According to Nuwber look-up, this Gilda is associated with the person with the lawsuit.
I am jewish and the only Gilda I am ever familiar with is the one from the opera...
I mean, there is Golda. But Gilda is a very different name and really rare.

Oscar (Bernard) Abramowitz is also listed at that E 31st St address, maybe the husband.
Also a "Tamar Murthy".
Who lives at 113 31st St, New York NY | Property records at the Rehold

But fastpeoplesearch says Oscar died in February 2006, not 2022.
Says he lived there since 2000, previously in Florida.
https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/oscar-abramowitz_id_G-5614243821791600096

Maybe someone with access to better databases can look him up.

I did a quick search on ancestry for OBA and found myself with questions (I'm going to message some reinforcements ;))

Someone on genealogy.com did a family tree for a Gilda A. which says her parents were Oscar and Mary A.
Links to Florida.
Jean-Felton-FL - User Trees - Genealogy.com
There is also an Oscar B Abramowitz associated with the 31st street address at some point:

I've been looking like crazy but keep running into dead ends. Its complicated by the fact that some people have changed their last name from Abramowitz to Abrams.

I haven't heard back from my reinforcement person @StarrChance yet. I found this info:

OBA born Dec 2 1917

Naturalization Petition filed 1939 (age 22) name Bernard Abrams living at 331 E 12th St NY, NY

parents Isidore and Yetta F

(There's a draft registration filed Oct 1940 (Brown hair, and eye color Gray), Yetta is the next of kin)

He possibly married Aug 1946 to Mary P Cohen

And, in 1947 he was studying at New York Medical College and Flower Hospital

BUT, what has me puzzled is this...

Bernard Abramowitz
born Dec 2 1917
NY
died Mar 24 1921
Lutheran Hosp Brooklyn NY
buried Mar 25 1921
parents David Abramowitz and Fannie Abramowitz

I know "Oscar" isn't part of the name in the 2nd birth/death record but it's the same date of birth. I'm not sure where I've made the mistake. Or maybe two children with nearly same name born on same day to different parents?

I haven't heard back from my reinforcement person @StarrChance yet. I found this info:

OBA born Dec 2 1917

Naturalization Petition filed 1939 (age 22) name Bernard Abrams living at 331 E 12th St NY, NY

parents Isidore and Yetta F

(There's a draft registration filed Oct 1940 (Brown hair, and eye color Gray), Yetta is the next of kin)

He possibly married Aug 1946 to Mary P Cohen

And, in 1947 he was studying at New York Medical College and Flower Hospital

BUT, what has me puzzled is this...

Bernard Abramowitz
born Dec 2 1917
NY
died Mar 24 1921
Lutheran Hosp Brooklyn NY
buried Mar 25 1921
parents David Abramowitz and Fannie Abramowitz

I know "Oscar" isn't part of the name in the 2nd birth/death record but it's the same date of birth. I'm not sure where I've made the mistake. Or maybe two children with nearly same name born on same day to different parents?
The Bernard from David and Fannie does appear to be a different child born on the same day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps
Back