NY - Mark David Chapman & the murder of John Lennon, 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow..I love listening to all these songs again. I voted for A Day in the Life because I have always thought it was one of the most brilliant songs ever written - by anyone! Thanks for all the youtube songs...special thanks to Steely Dan for I Want You (She's So Heavy) and for starting this thread. I totally agree it was the first "heavy metal song." I will always remember a day in January 1970 when school was cancelled because of a snowstorm. I was snowed in at a friend's house. Abbey Road had just been released a couple of months before and I hadn't heard it yet. I put the album on the turntable that day and listened to I Want You over and over and over again. Loved the whole album but I just went crazy over that song!

I just noticed this thread so I'm late but Fox News' Bill Hemmer had a special Friday night, Dec. 3, about Lennon's assassination. Here's an article: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/12/03/imagine-if-lennon-were-alive-today/

There's no denying Lennon was a musical genius. I miss him. I would have loved to hear what he would have been creating these past 30 years.

Yoko Ono took so much heat back in the 70's but I admire her. The way she has honored and remembered John and protected the integrity of his work is incredible IMO. I love a lot of his solo career music during which she had a big influence on his life, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lLs2dC9NaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8s2kg8ufc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJ2AoEwDvY

I love ya DP but I totally disagree with this. Listen to the interview with Julian Lennon talking about how Yoko was or is auctioning off all of JL's guitars and other things and he's using his dad's money to buy it all back.

Also, Yoko made a deal with Paul McCartney to purchase the Beatles catalog so they could own the Beatles songs, but she backed out at the last second. She also got into a huge financial fight with Julian, IIRC, which led him to say something to the effect of "She may have the Lennon money but she'll never have the Lennon talent." (I've looked for the quote on the internet but I can't find it.)

It appears they all get along fine now though, but Yoko isn't admirable, but she isn't horrendous either when it comes to John's legacy. JMO

I love ya DP but I totally disagree with this. Listen to the interview with Julian Lennon talking about how Yoko was or is auctioning off all of JL's guitars and other things and he's using his dad's money to buy it all back.

Also, Yoko made a deal with Paul McCartney to purchase the Beatles catalog so they could own the Beatles songs, but she backed out at the last second. She also got into a huge financial fight with Julian, IIRC, which led him to say something to the effect of "She may have the Lennon money but she'll never have the Lennon talent." (I've looked for the quote on the internet but I can't find it.)

It appears they all get along fine now though, but Yoko isn't admirable, but she isn't horrendous either when it comes to John's legacy. JMO

Thanks for the information. I should do some more research when it comes to Yoko's dealings.

I just noticed this thread so I'm late but Fox News' Bill Hemmer had a special Friday night, Dec. 3, about Lennon's assassination. Here's an article: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/12/03/imagine-if-lennon-were-alive-today/

There's no denying Lennon was a musical genius. I miss him. I would have loved to hear what he would have been creating these past 30 years.

Yoko Ono took so much heat back in the 70's but I admire her. The way she has honored and remembered John and protected the integrity of his work is incredible IMO. I love a lot of his solo career music during which she had a big influence on his life, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lLs2dC9NaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8s2kg8ufc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJ2AoEwDvY

Dear Prudence...

You know I miss John. I think he was a genius like you do. I would have loved to see what he would have done the last 30 years. It's funny because people always think I would be a Paul fan. I always argue with my brothers who seem to like Paul better.
I'm sad my friend Curious is not online anymore as she is a big John follower.

Thanks for sharing.

Goz

DP, watch the second video in the #5 post. The one after MDC's wife's interview. That's where Julian talks about Yoko selling stuff, like the postcards he sent his father.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Songs"]Link[/ame]

ATV held its controlling interest in Northern Songs until 1985, when ATV Music went up for sale. Outbidding McCartney (who'd tried unsuccessfully to persuade Yoko Ono to join him) was singer Michael Jackson, who won the bidding for a reported $47 million. The recent friendship and collaboration with McCartney and Jackson ended suddenly as a result. It turned out Ono had actually encouraged Jackson to buy the shares, telling the press after the sale, "I just feel like a friend has them."[citation needed] When asked how he felt about having Jackson as his "boss", as controller of the song catalogue, McCartney replied, "I think he needs to give me a raise."[citation needed] McCartney reportedly did ask Jackson for a royalty increase but was turned down, further cooling their relationship.[citation needed]

DP, watch the second video in the #5 post. The one after MDC's wife's interview. That's where Julian talks about Yoko selling stuff, like the postcards he sent his father.

Link

ATV held its controlling interest in Northern Songs until 1985, when ATV Music went up for sale. Outbidding McCartney (who'd tried unsuccessfully to persuade Yoko Ono to join him) was singer Michael Jackson, who won the bidding for a reported $47 million. The recent friendship and collaboration with McCartney and Jackson ended suddenly as a result. It turned out Ono had actually encouraged Jackson to buy the shares, telling the press after the sale, "I just feel like a friend has them."[citation needed] When asked how he felt about having Jackson as his "boss", as controller of the song catalogue, McCartney replied, "I think he needs to give me a raise."[citation needed] McCartney reportedly did ask Jackson for a royalty increase but was turned down, further cooling their relationship.[citation needed]

I hit the submit button before I was done. So here's the rest of what was supposed to be in that post.

Link

...Few people know that Michael Jackson outbid even Paul McCartney himself as well as John Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, to own the coveted copyrights to the Beatles’ music. By owning the copyrights to these timeless songs, Michael earned royalties every time Beatles songs were either played on the radio or performed or sold in stores. While so many are star-struck by musicians and performers, the reality is that the money is in owning the copyrights. Most musicians will never get to the point where they can own their own copyrights free and clear. Record companies lock musicians and performers up in tight, multi-album deals where the ownership of the publishing rights resides with the record label. Only when a musician, band or performer has made it big, fulfilled their multi-album deal and still remains relevant is there much of an opportunity to actually own the lion share of the most lucrative asset in the entertainment business – the publishing rights to the music. So while so many are remembering Michael Jackson in unfavorable ways presently, his foresight to pay what was no doubt a staggering amount of money in 1985 for the Beatles’ collection was without doubt the best business decision he ever made, and perhaps the best business decision ever made by an entertainer....

I can't easily find a link that supports the story as I remember it. Every time I enter "Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono Beatles catalog" into Google I get pages of the recent deal with iTunes to sell Beatles songs. I'm finding some stories that claim that McCartney was never interested in buying the catalog when it was for sale and Jackson bought it so there's some misinformation out there.

As I remember it McCartney and Ono pooled their money and were able to outbid Jackson for the catalog. Then Ono found out there was some sort of law dealing with copyrights that would benefit her greatly over McCartney in a few years and she wouldn't have to spend a dime. It had to do with Lennon's death and it's timing, IIRC.

This article cites a book that claims the two never had a joint deal;

The book "Northern Songs" by Brian Southall says Jackson's lawyer talked individually to both Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney, suggesting they each each buy the catalog. Both said no. Ono was concerned about having copyrights of other Beatles' songs, while for McCartney, it was said the price was more than he expected to pay. There's no indication in the book that the two considered making a joint deal.

I find that to be dubious. McCartney obviously wanted them and I'd guess there was no price, he could afford, to get them.

This is interesting; (I already knew about the John Lennon song to McCartney but some of the other stuff I didn't know)

...McCartney did admit there were two small message to Lennon and Ono in the lyrics, but said it was never what Lennon made it out to be--'Too many people preaching practices,' and 'You took your lucky break and broke it in two.'

This was the song that drove Lennon to the contradiction on the Imagine album. While McCartney's song had a couple minor references, Lennon's response was not the peace and love he wanted to create with Imagine. In fact, when you analyze 'Imagine' with 'How Do You Sleep?' you quickly discover how hypocritical the whole Imagine album is.

Lennon didn't just settle with one song, he also made it perfectly clear he was attacking McCartney. In the Imagine album art is a picture similar to McCartney holding the horns of a ram on his farm. Lennon took the picture grabbing the ears of a pig. It's easy to understand Lennon's message. While, Lennon's picture clearly has a purpose, Lennon isn't the only one guilty with sending album cover bombs to the other Beatle.

On the back cover of the the RAM album was a picture of two beetles copulating. In other words, Paul was putting it out there he was being screwed by another or all the rest of the Beatles...

Here Paul talks directly about wanting to buy the catalog;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCyJX6ugcQ&feature=related[/ame]

Link

If the songwriters die before the 56-year wait is up, as John Lennon
did, their heirs may even be allowed to reclaim publishing rights at
an earlier time. In Lennon's case, an agreement between
rights-holders and his widow, Yoko Ono, reportedly superseded the act.

That somewhat supports my memory but if true Ono screwed herself and McCartney due to bad legal advice.

My brother is a total Beatles Geek and so I trust him when he tells me something about them. According to him the breakup happened because of Brian Epsteins death. After he died McCartney wanted Linda's father to represent them but the other band members were leery that he'd be too pro-McCartney so they settled on the Northern Songs route which totally effed them over and led to the great GH song "It's only a Northern Song". They probably should have retained their own attorneys and even though that would have been divisive within the band it would have probably led to a better deal. JMO

Fortunately, most artists today have learned from the mistakes of others in the past and retain agents from the get go. If the agent is reputable the artist is well protected.

I read a book interview with Tom Petty and he said when he signed his first contract he thought that "publishing" was like song books. If you want to find out about how an artist won a battle against his record companies draconian contract you should read about Petty's battle with MCA (?). It happened just before the release of "Damn the Torpedoes".

Link

Yes, sad isn't it? I'm glad Julian was able to collect so many of John's things. The book about his collection that came out a few months ago has now been added to my Christmas list. :)

Thanks for the links, I never knew all the goings on regarding the business dealings so I will read everything with great interest. What has happended to the catalog rights since Michael Jackson's death? Did he sell it before he died because of his financial troubles? Seems I remember hearing something but I can't remember.

Yes, sad isn't it? I'm glad Julian was able to collect so many of John's things. The book about his collection that came out a few months ago has now been added to my Christmas list. :)

Thanks for the links, I never knew all the goings on regarding the business dealings so I will read everything with great interest. What has happended to the catalog rights since Michael Jackson's death? Did he sell it before he died because of his financial troubles? Seems I remember hearing something but I can't remember.

I might look for a link later but off the top of my head it was rumored that he had willed PM his part of the ownership of the Beatles catalog. That wasn't true. He died with a lot of debt and so I believe it was sold to Sony who had the right of first refusal according to contract.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNU7jb1Syjs&feature=related[/ame]

Wow, I thought I was a big fan, until I found the greatest fan ever. Let me introduce to you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgrrQwLdME8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Wow, I thought I was a big fan, until I found the greatest fan ever. Let me introduce to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgrrQwLdME8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:floorlaugh:

It's sad how almost anybody in the world can watch that and laugh but have religious or political differences with that child's country and bomb them or attack them or whatever.

I think John Lennon would love to see that little girl. Maybe someday terrorists and hostile nations will see a video like that and realize that they are bombing children like that and/or their parents.

I think John Lennon would like that.

BTW, Hey Jude was written by PMC about Julian Lennon.

I know it's a Paul song, but I couldn't resist.

As far as fave John song, I can't really vote b/c it depends on my mood. He was one wise guy though. Would have loved to have known him as a friend.

Hope all of you have a Happy Christmas!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2YSAVHmIE[/ame]

This book is a really good read. It's an interview David Sheff conducted with John just before his death. It's a great look at his life at that time plus he talks about the songs from The Beatles. At 40 years old he seemed to be mellowing and coming into his own. So sad his future was taken.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/All-We-Are-Saying-Interview/dp/0312254644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291770378&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono (9780312254643): David Sheff: Books[/ame]

This has always been my favorite Lennon solo song:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmVajkqLNU[/ame]

My poor mom's birthday is on December 8th, and to this day she swears that I can only remember it because of this (that's not true by the way).

I also would love to share this cover of Lennon's "Mother" by one of his biggest fans (and a man I absolutely adore)....Southern All Stars/KUWATA BAND frontman Keisuke Kuwata from Japan. He is a legend is his own country and in addition to absolutely astounding success with his own bands and solo work, he also held AIDS charity concerts on television for many years which made his English covers very popular as well. He often covered Beatles songs.

Keisuke is currently fighting lung cancer, so please watch this video and if you can say a prayer for him and his wife, SAS keyboardist Yuko Hara.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks1WqbgCmHY[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back