GUILTY NY - Martha Stewart for lying about stock sale, NYC, 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For some reason a thread for this is on the Laci Peterson forum. Maybe it should be moved here?

Rachael said:
I don't think she deserves jail time. She's not some hardened criminal. They should have gave her a big fat fine!

Right... I get it now :doh: Release scum like Alfonso Rodriguez and those of like ilk because of overcrowding etc. what have you. Let's incarcerate violent offenders like Martha Stewart. Makes sense to me. I am not for one second implying she was not guilty, just that there seems to be a problem with the way justice is served.

Good discussion, but it doesn't belong here. See Martha threads on the Jury Room and the Trials forum. Let's keep this place for Laci.

I've seen off topic threads posted before, when some breaking news comes out. I don't see a problem. A mod can advise if there is an issue.

Yes, alpharee, I have asked that the thread be moved. There is also a thread on the Jury Room.

Martha, while a delightful topic, doesn't belong on the Laci forum!

She may have broken the law, but somehow it doesn't sit well with me if she goes to jail while OJ Simpson goes Scott free, as well as the Enron executives, who didn't care how many people they brought to ruin.

Marthatex said:
She may have broken the law, but somehow it doesn't sit well with me if she goes to jail while OJ Simpson goes Scott free, as well as the Enron executives, who didn't care how many people they brought to ruin.

I agree with you the OJ verdit was terrible. But I personally feel, (jmho, doesn't have to be anyone elses') that the responsibility of the OJ verdit rested solely on the shoulders of the inept prosecution, who did worse than a piss-poor job. Hopefully, prosecutors across the country, learned from that public monstrosity of a mistake.

Our justice system is not perfect, but a mojority of the time, (thankfully) juries get it right. Imho, in Martha's case, they got it right.

I have no idea why the Enron executives have not been charged yet, or what laws they effectively broke. So yes, that would be another situation, where, like OJ, criminals get to live free; even though the Enron execuitves,(I believe) have not even been charged with a crime, you know what they did, AFFECTED the future and security of millions of people. I think there's a big segment of the population, that is living with the effects of that whole debacle, still.

Just because others have not had justice, doeesn't mean that Martha, a white collar crime criminal, should not have to serve her time, for her crime.

She wasn't convicted for selling stock based on insider information (insider trading) - she wasn't charged with that because what constitutes insider trading is a murky issue.

She was convicted for obstruction of justice because she lied about her actions and the actions of her stockbroker who was being investigated.

I think its important that they prosecuted this case because people have to know that if they do not cooperate with investigations they will be held accountable. That said, I don't think she'll get much if any jail time.

Marthatex, that's what I thought too, re: OJ. But, she should be found guilty, she used to be a broker herself. SHE KNEW the rules, period.

I guess I agree with the verdict, but gee, MARTHA STEWART IN JAIL? She should have to do something to help the other half. What is the world coming to if MARTHA STEWART GOES TO JAIL? Maybe it will be a good lesson for all of the "upper echelon".

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) -- Martha Stewart will leave the board of directors of her company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia but it has yet to be determined whether she will resign her position or simply not run for re-election, a person with knowledge of the board's activities told CNNfn.

"There's no issue she's going to leave the board," said the source. "It would be inappropriate to be a board member. She would like to stay involved with the creative side of the business."

The company's board met earlier Monday at the offices of law firm Fried Frank for several hours, but concluded its discussions without making any public statement. There may be an announcement this week, according to the source.

"It's a delicate situation and somewhat unprecedented," the person said.

The board of Martha Stewart Living is up for re-election at the company's annual meeting, likely to be scheduled in May.

One complication is Martha Stewart Living's contract with K-Mart requires Stewart to appear on behalf of the retailer 15-20 days each year. If the company fired her, they would be in violation of their contract with K-Mart, according to the source.

The board may be waiting to learn how much damage the Martha Stewart brand has suffered as a result of the domestic entrepreneur's conviction on four criminal counts. NEW YORK (CNN/Money) -- Martha Stewart will leave the board of directors of her company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia but it has yet to be determined whether she will resign her position or simply not run for re-election, a person with knowledge of the board's activities told CNNfn.

"There's no issue she's going to leave the board," said the source. "It would be inappropriate to be a board member. She would like to stay involved with the creative side of the business."

The company's board met earlier Monday at the offices of law firm Fried Frank for several hours, but concluded its discussions without making any public statement. There may be an announcement this week, according to the source.

"It's a delicate situation and somewhat unprecedented," the person said.

The board of Martha Stewart Living is up for re-election at the company's annual meeting, likely to be scheduled in May.

One complication is Martha Stewart Living's contract with K-Mart requires Stewart to appear on behalf of the retailer 15-20 days each year. If the company fired her, they would be in violation of their contract with K-Mart, according to the source.

The board may be waiting to learn how much damage the Martha Stewart brand has suffered as a result of the domestic entrepreneur's conviction on four criminal counts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/BUSINESS/03/08/martha.trial/index.html

One complication is Martha Stewart Living's contract with K-Mart requires Stewart to appear on behalf of the retailer 15-20 days each year.

Maybe she can do some taped/televised community service spots, as well as her appearances for K-Mart, from the prison commisarry. (sp?)

Well she can't legally be the head of a publicly traded company anymore, so she's pretty much screwed on the "boards" thing. I'm also pretty sure that she'll be sued by the stockholders of this company as well for putting their stock in the dumper. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

I'm quite disappointed in Dominick Dunne's stead fast support of her. I always enjoy reading his articles, .....I mean, gossip column...... in VF, but for him (and many other well known personas) to actually stand up for her publicly in this way, just means (imho of course) they "condone" her lying behavior.

In a way, it's kind of ironic, that Dunne, ...who had made a career of chronicling (sp?) the crimes of the rich and famous.... to suddenly turn his eyes away from the fact that his rich and famous good buddy Martha, LIED to the Feds, and will probably be charged by the SEC for insider trading. Guess you never really get those "stars" out of your eyes, when you trapse around in that jet set life.

Well Bill Cosby and Rosie O'Donnell showed up in court to show their support. They just don't understand that they're people just like the rest of us and they CAN get into trouble.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040331/D81LK0R81.html

"NEW YORK (AP) - Martha Stewart's lawyers asked on Wednesday for a new trial, claiming that one of the jurors who convicted her lied about his criminal record during jury selection.

In papers filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, defense attorney Robert Morvillo accused juror Chappell Hartridge of violating his oath, lying to serve on the jury and depriving Stewart her right to a fair trial."

Would not surprise me if Martha's lawyers knew about this jurors criminal record all along.. and allowed him to sit on the jury, so they could pull new trial thing later.

I don't know about that Cass, but it is one of life's little ironies that this was the juror who spoke out vociferously about "a victory for the little guy" and all that. I suspect her lawyers have just spent some time looking over every avenue to fight this - and found one.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040521/D82N51100.html

"Federal authorities charged a government witness against Martha Stewart with perjury on Friday, accusing him of giving false testimony in the domestic entrepreneur's obstruction of justice trial.

Prosecutors said they had discovered false statements made on the stand by Larry F. Stewart, a national ink expert who works at the Secret Service. Larry Stewart, who is not related to Martha Stewart, testified at the trial about a worksheet prepared by her broker, Peter Bacanovic.

"We are quite confident that the false testimony will have no impact on the convictions of Martha Stewart and Peter Bacanovic, for both factual and legal reasons," Manhattan U.S. Attorney David Kelley said."

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBLWPOP6VD.html

"The sentencing had originally been scheduled for June 17 but was rescheduled to July 8.

The office of U.S. District Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, who will hand down the sentence for Stewart and former stockbroker Peter Bacanovic, had no immediate comment.

Megan Gaffney, a spokeswoman for federal prosecutors in Manhattan, confirmed the change but said she did not know why it was made. CNBC reported it came at the request of defense lawyers. "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back