GUILTY NY - Martha Stewart for lying about stock sale, NYC, 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Martha Stewart found guilty on all 4 counts. Bocanivic guilty of 4 counts, NG on count of preparing false documents.

MS and PB both guilty of Making False Statements (2 counts), Obstruction of Justice, and Conspiracy.

Both will be sentenanced June 17.

Clara Fi said:
on all counts! It may be that she will face some jail time. Wow. NOT a good thing!

I think the woman was attacked more viciously than anyone from Enron ever has been. For peanuts, essentially.

IMO, being questioned by police over a suspected crime, does not remove your right to not incriminate yourself. If she were guilty, which is questionable, of course she wouldn't simply say 'Yup, I did it', because she was being questioned.

Talk about looking for a scapegoat. This is the ultimate example, IMO.

Sprocket said:
Why is this not a good thing? Definitely not a good thing for Martha, (from her point of view) but is it a good thing that she was convicted.... I mean, she did lie to the government.... and, imho, she was guilty.

And, ask yourself, why didn't Martha, take the stand, in her own defense? Although our legal system says, you can not hold that against someone within the court of law; the US goes out of its' way, to make things "fair" for an individual accused. But in the real world, ask yourself, what does that say?

I agree. When a person does not take the stand in their own defense I have to think to myself that they are most likely guilty.

I think Martha was guilty. I also have sympathy because I think if I had inside information that a stock I owned was going to fall in value I would be tempted to sell it off too. (good thing I don't dabble in the stock market I guess).

I think insider trading goes on all the time and Martha was just someone they decided to make an example of to boost peoples confidence in investing in stock.

I don't see her being sent to jail as accomplishing anything however. I don't think she poses a threat to anyone. Perhaps she could pay some sort of restition to whoever bought her stock and lost money on it?

Her career will most likely suffer greatly from this verdict and that alone goes a long way towards punishment.

CrimeWatcher said:
If she were guilty, which is questionable, of course she wouldn't simply say 'Yup, I did it', because she was being questioned.

She is guilty. A jury found her to be so. Some may think she didn't do anything wrong, but the jury says she's guilty and, unless there is an appeal, she will go down in the history books as guilty.

Maybe now KMart can break their contract with her and stop filling the store with her shoddy over-priced merchandise. At least I'm hoping so.

I'm in absolute agreement with Maybe So. This stuff goes on everyday and because she is who she is ,she got convicted. I'm not saying what she did was right,and I do think she should be punished,but I think it could be done in a different manner. Hit her in the pocketbok and make her do hours and hours of community service. How about beautifying some poor peoples homes for free. Making someone else's quality of life better might be more useful than locking her up.

Oh I think she is 100% guilty, and I wasn't even on the jury! I said it's not a good thing in reference to Martha herself--she's probably going to prison. I'm glad the jury did the right thing and didn't let Martha's celebrity interfere.

Say, did you see the new Martha Stewart bath towels on sale? They're white and black striped!

hockeymom said:
I'm in absolute agreement with Maybe So. This stuff goes on everyday and because she is who she is ,she got convicted. I'm not saying what she did was right,and I do think she should be punished,but I think it could be done in a different manner. Hit her in the pocketbok and make her do hours and hours of community service. How about beautifying some poor peoples homes for free. Making someone else's quality of life better might be more useful than locking her up.

Apparently many of us agree,, she has been made an example...I really think her being a successful woman in a mans' world is one reason they went after her....And I think these guys discuss this stuff every day on the golf course......ridiculous how the real thieves get away with millions yet she gets stuck for a measly $60,000 ....And did you see the estatic people runnin g out of the courtroom clelebrating...Pure jealousy I think...she may be a ..I don't know, but most of those guys are equally ruthless..

I didn't see estatic people running from the courtroom. (Maybe I missed that part) But what I DID see, were reporters, literally running, almost falling over each other, with big numbererd plackards in their hands, to let their news stations know, asap, what the verdicts were.

I see this a bit differently. She thought she was above the law. She lied about it, and tried to cover it up. I have a different opinion about her being a "woman" and the "bad boy Feds" going after her, just because she's a woman.

Imho, I think Martha has a personality disorder. But that's just me.

Sprocket said:
I didn't see estatic people running from the courtroom. (Maybe I missed that part) But what I DID see, were reporters, literally running, almost falling over each other, with big numbererd plackards in their hands, to let their news stations know, asap, what the verdicts were.

I see this a bit differently. She thought she was above the law. She lied about it, and tried to cover it up. I have a different opinion about her being a "woman" and the "bad boy Feds" going after her, just because she's a woman.

Imho, I think Martha has a personality disorder. But that's just me.

She may very well have a personality disorder...I find genius type people usually do have some kind of mental problem...goes hand in hand...But yeah saw people waving signs but some were coming out waving scarves and appeared jubilant at the verdict..I do believe that these type of crimes are bad for the coutry...but still think Martha knew (as many in that field know)...it probably goes on All the time...She just isn't a part of the "club". I've worked in corporate America and see it every day, women passed over and stepped on for the good ole boys...Believe me it is not due to ineptitude....

I don't think she deserves jail time. She's not some hardened criminal. They should have gave her a big fat fine!

I don't understand why she didn't just fess up in the beginning when they questioned her. Instead, she lied and tried to cover it up, which made her situation worse.

She did it, she's guilty, I don't feel sorry for her. You do the crime, you do the time or you pay a big fat fine. She knew it was wrong, no matter how many others have done worse what she did was wrong and illegal. These excuses they went after her because she is a woman and successful is BS in my opinion. They went after her because she commited a crime! I'm sure they go after others that do this sort of thing as well, it just doesn't hit the news because they are nobodys.

I think she's being made an example of. I think we better see some guilty verdicts and prison time for the Enron folks and the fella with the $6,000 shower curtain. And I think no jury should ponder or weigh whether a person testifies or not. I thought they were instructed not to give that any weight.

I'm pretty sure she does face some hefty fines, too. I'm listening to news coverage on the radio and that is what they said a while ago.

less0305 said:
I think she's being made an example of. I think we better see some guilty verdicts and prison time for the Enron folks and the fella with the $6,000 shower curtain. And I think no jury should ponder or weigh whether a person testifies or not. I thought they were instructed not to give that any weight.

AMEN!!! But don't hold your breath!!! :twocents:

less0305 said:
They are not suppose to consider it an act of guilt because the defendant doesn't take the stand. Alot of times it's the defendants lawyer that recommends they not take the stand because lawyers can cross examine and have you all confused and twist your words or even make you angry. Most defense attorneys don't want that happening. In most court cases I've dealt with, (and it's been quite a few) the defendants rarely ever testify.

So Scott, listen up. If they would convict Martha Stewart, you are not above the law, either, pal. Be very afraid.

Great ideas, Hockeymom, for Martha Stewart instead of jail. I know only a wee bit about stocks, but I do know when my 401K drops a bit. Anyone can follow a line as it heads south. If she goes to jail for this then so be it but I do feel she would be so useful doing community service. Heck, she could meet with all ages, males and females; shelters, community groups, she could work for habitat group, hospitals, etc. If they send her to jail it will be set an example but if they utilize her talents (gulp.....she does have some, I'll agree!) she could help others. Community service may be to her way of looking at it as almost worse than jail. So long as they demand she be nice, and not scream at others. ;)

alpharee said:
She did it, she's guilty, I don't feel sorry for her. You do the crime, you do the time or you pay a big fat fine. She knew it was wrong, no matter how many others have done worse what she did was wrong and illegal. These excuses they went after her because she is a woman and successful is BS in my opinion. They went after her because she commited a crime! I'm sure they go after others that do this sort of thing as well, it just doesn't hit the news because they are nobodys.

Well the scant few women CEO's can be counted on one hand...and now theres' one less....(.must keep up the status quo.)..........Funny how they make an example of something that goes on ALL the time they use a woman....when the number of men in her position overwhelmingly outnumber her......She's been made an example of for sure....in more ways than one!!!!
(Let that be a lesson to any woman who dares enter that all boys club!!)

smellsarat said:
Well the scant few women CEO's can be counted on one hand...and now theres' one less....(.must keep up the status quo.)..........Funny how they make an example of something that goes on ALL the time they use a woman....when the number of men in her position overwhelmingly outnumber her......She's been made an example of for sure....in more ways than one!!!!
(Let that be a lesson to any woman who dares enter that all boys club!!)
they couldn't have "used" Martha Stewart for an example if she hadn't put herself in the position to be "used". She committed a crime. She got caught.
I have no sympathy for her. (whether she be man, woman or beast she did commit a crime and is responsible for her own actions)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back