NY - NYPD officers drenched with water, hit with bucket, July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm trying to make sense of that list.

Why is it that for all the other occupations, with the exception of firefighters and police, they list the number of nonfatal injuries?

How many non fatal injuries do police receive every year and why isn't that listed? If it doesn't matter, why does it matter for all the other occupations?

Shouldn't that factor into the rankings?

I've read in the past that one of the most dangerous jobs is being a convenience store clerk, probably because of the likelihood of being robbed. Just because the incidence of them being killed isn't high, does that mean it isn't a dangerous job?

I don't think the word 'dangerous' in the title of the study/article is appropriate.

ETA:
The study deals with fatalities on jobs due to accidents. The first paragraph even states that:
In 2017, there were 5,147 accidental deaths in the American workplace, slightly down from the previous year's 5,190 deaths, but still close to the highest annual total in a decade.

It can hardly be called an accident when a cop gets shot and killed by someone.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make sense of that list.

Why is it that for all the other occupations, with the exception of firefighters and police, they list the number of nonfatal injuries?

How many non fatal injuries do police receive every year and why isn't that listed? If it doesn't matter, why does it matter for all the other occupations?

Shouldn't that factor into the rankings?

I've read in the past that one of the most dangerous jobs is being a convenience store clerk, probably because of the likelihood of being robbed. Just because the incidence of them being killed isn't high, does that mean it isn't a dangerous job?

I don't think the word 'dangerous' in the title of the study/article is appropriate.

Excellent questions. It appears they are only comparing fatalities so it doesn't matter they don't include injuries? I did find this clarification:

Data on nonfatal injuries are for the private sector only, and came from the Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities program of the BLS for 2017.

Excellent questions. It appears they are only comparing fatalities so it doesn't matter they don't include injuries? I did find this clarification:

I looked it up once on another thread, when we all were having this same discussion.
Police receive a tremendous amount of on the job injuries from assaults. More so than any other job.

And that is the main difference. Fishing and Construction, etc, are very very dangerous. But they are not worried that someone is about to attack them or kill them.

Taxi drivers and store clerks are, and it is similar to police.

I'm not a rape victim - I just know enough victims to know the police are useless.

Honestly why is this thread even here? It just seems like a political grandstand.

So far I’m not seeing anything political on here.
Sorry I assumed you were a victim. I was just trying to show some empathy which seems to be sorely lacking these days.
I personally cannot imagine going thru life hating people because of the sexuality, skin color, or what uniform they wear. There is just Too much hate!

So far I’m not seeing anything political on here.
Sorry I assumed you were a victim. I was just trying to show some empathy which seems to be sorely lacking these days.
I personally cannot imagine going thru life hating people because of the sexuality, skin color, or what uniform they wear. There is just Too much hate!
No kidding about the 'lack of empathy' statement.

Can you even imagine, while at work, having someone dump a bucket of water over you and being forced to walk away and just let it go?

Yeah, me either.

Yeah, except most service workers deal with far worse.

Saying "Blue lives matter" IS politics - it's a phrase specifically designed to counter black people saying "please don't kill us"

This thread's a clownshow.

Yeah, except most service workers deal with far worse.

Saying "Blue lives matter" IS politics - it's a phrase specifically designed to counter black people saying "please don't kill us"

This thread's a clownshow.
So it's ok for black-lives-matter activists to say 'please don't kill us'---but it's not OK for 1st responders to say the same thing?

Last edited:
NY bill to make water attacks on cops a felony faces Democratic opposition

GOP lawmakers are now introducing a bill that would make throwing or spraying water "or any other substance" on a police officer a class E felony and punishable by up to four years in jail.

Assemblyman Mike LiPetri, who introduced the bill, told Fox News in an interview Thursday that there are signs the bill has some bipartisan support from some Democrats -- particularly in the state Senate -- but acknowledged early signs of other Democrats pushing back in the Assembly.

NY bill to make water attacks on cops a felony faces Democratic opposition

GOP lawmakers are now introducing a bill that would make throwing or spraying water "or any other substance" on a police officer a class E felony and punishable by up to four years in jail.

Assemblyman Mike LiPetri, who introduced the bill, told Fox News in an interview Thursday that there are signs the bill has some bipartisan support from some Democrats -- particularly in the state Senate -- but acknowledged early signs of other Democrats pushing back in the Assembly.

Yes, I imagine this would have some pushback, a targeted law like this. I wouldn't rush in headlong to vote for it either. Sounds like it needs some work, IMO. A felony and 4 years in jail for throwing/spraying water (if not dangerously hot - other substances may be allergens and dangerous, I suppose) is a lot, especially if offenders are young. Rather than some sort of community service and education, maybe service in a community policing program, along with a shorter sentence. Not saying that there shouldn't be punishment - but I think that's already covered under assault and battery laws, especially in more harmful scenarios (like throwing the bucket or bottles).

Just saying that the punishment in a targeted bill like this needs to be considered thoughtfully, given the current relationships between law enforcement and young people, especially young people of color. There should be an overall approach on building relationships and showing the will to hold both police and civilians accountable for their misdeeds, and a will to train police in de-escalation and non-lethal methods on unarmed people.

That's if we really care about making things better and reducing the acrimony.

Last edited:
Yes, I imagine this would have some pushback, a targeted law like this. I wouldn't rush in headlong to vote for it either. Sounds like it needs some work, IMO. A felony and 4 years in jail for throwing/spraying water (if not dangerously hot - other substances may be allergens and dangerous, I suppose) is a lot, especially if offenders are young. Rather than some sort of community service and education, maybe service in a community policing program, along with a shorter sentence. Not saying that there shouldn't be punishment - but I think that's already covered under assault and battery laws, especially in more harmful scenarios (like throwing the bucket or bottles).

Just saying that the punishment in a targeted bill like this needs to be considered thoughtfully, given the current relationships between law enforcement and young people, especially young people of color. There should be an overall approach on building relationships and showing the will to hold both police and civilians accountable for their misdeeds, and a will to train police in de-escalation and non-lethal methods on unarmed people.

That's if we really care about making things better and reducing the acrimony.

Remember in the olden days learning the police officer was your friend?

Now we have learned to keep our hands on the steering wheel or risk being blown away. A traffic stop is a trip in terror.

Make a wrong move and you may not live to tell about it.

Children with a squirt gun are shot to death. Police are arrested for raping women they stop.

It is far past time for the police to establish community relationships like we had in the olden days.

Perhaps POC never had this?

Cops shot at while responding to call in Brooklyn: authorities

https://nypost.com/2019/08/18/cops-shot-at-while-responding-to-call-in-brooklyn-authorities/

August 18, 2019

Five NYPD cops were fired on early Sunday during a “busy night” in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bedford-Stuyvesant, according to authorities.

The shooting happened just before 2 a.m. on Bainbridge Street, near Saratoga Avenue, as cops were responding to the area for calls of street fights, cops said.

The call came in shortly after three officers were injured as a cop-hating mob hurled objects at policefrom a housing project in the neighborhood.

“It was a busy night in Brooklyn,” a police source told The Post.

METRO

Cop-hating mob at Brooklyn housing project injures three NYPD officers

At least some of the injuries were caused by “air mail,” objects thrown down at cops from rooftops, police at the scene in Bedford-Stuyvesant told The Post.

By early Sunday, 11 people had been arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.

The violence came after a series of water dousing attacks on NYPD officers throughout the city this summer.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/18/cop-h...-housing-project-injures-three-nypd-officers/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MandyLynn1109
Back