NY - NYPD officers drenched with water, hit with bucket, July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't disagree, but to put these water attacks in NYC in some context, it was very recent that an officer was not charged for the killing of Eric Garner - the man who died when police arrested him for selling cigarettes. Garner is the man who said, "I can't breathe." The police officer not facing charges for that death is on people's minds.

I AM NOT JUSTIFYING throwing water at officers. I am appalled. I think it's scary. And I am dismayed that there seems to be no real punishment or deterrent for it.

But I don't think the problem is completely because the mayor and NYPD don't get along. There's more to it, imo.

jmo

No one has a right to assault, and abuse any police officer based on any decision they didn't like. Imo, these officers had nothing to do with the decision about EG. Some of them were gang members so of course they dislike law, and order. Imo, that is like saying Antifa has a right to attack anyone just because they do not agree with them... which they do attack many others.

That's one of the glaring problems that has allowed so many to flaunt their abuse to all cops, and label all cops as the same as a few bad apples which are found in ALL professions. That is making it acceptable behavior. It's not, and never will be. Just like many more whites by far are killed by cops every single year, but they do not have any right to take it out on other officers or on anyone else for that matter. That is letting the lawless rule.

I don't think it goes deeper than hate, and disrespect by many who label all officers as bad when it's absolutely not true, but shows ignorance can be a dangerous thing.

We have seen this lawlessness spill out on our streets as far back as 2013 where it somehow became acceptable to assault, throw feces, urine, and bricks injuring officers just trying to keep the peace. And even worse most of the police officers in cities who were under siege the entire reason why cities were going up in flames were built on a totally false narrative all along. Yet none of that mattered as our officers had to stand there being hurt because of a purposefully made up lie. In fact it was seen as perfectly acceptable behavior by many.

That may be what needs to be delved deeply into. Why have so many innocent officers been harmed based on lies/total fabricated narratives or cities destroyed with millions of dollars in damage, and officers who have murdered, and no one cared about the truth?

The 5 Dallas officers who were brutally murdered with many other officers injured, yet they hadn't done one single thing wrong except try to protect the protesters marching.

Lawlessness against anyone will destroy our nation. We are seeing the rapid moral decline, and how destructive it is. There will be more who will act violently against more officers whether its elsewhere or its in NYC... where the criminals know the mayor doesn't have the backs of the very officers tying to keep the city safe. No wonder he polls as the worst mayor of NYC.

They will do it because they know many will support them, and not the officers who have done nothing wrong. Its like its become a pastime for many in our country to assault, abuse, and attack the very officers trying to keep their communities safe.

jmho

I’ve seen EG come up in other places in connection with this mess. Here my problem with that..... If folks are going to use the actions of one officer as an excuse to harass all officers how is that different than an officer profiling based on race/ religion/ whatever?
Imagine for a minute what would have happened if the officers DID react to the water assaults. Imagine the outrage!
( I’m not saying anyone here feels EG is an excuse for this)

No difference. None.

And, imagine the outrage if LE went to any location & threw water on citizens?

Certainly a hate crime against these officers.

No difference. None.

And, imagine the outrage if LE went to any location & threw water on citizens?

Certainly a hate crime against these officers.
The LEOs kept their cool, which kept the peace, imo.

Still, I wish there was a way to stop that action while it was in action without causing a riot. It was an almost impossible situation for the officers.

Again, praying for a cool August with low temps and calm streets.

jmo

The LEOs kept their cool, which kept the peace, imo.

Still, I wish there was a way to stop that action while it was in action without causing a riot. It was an almost impossible situation for the officers.

Again, praying for a cool August with low temps and calm streets.

jmo

Well, I expect that the right person's mother, or Aunt, or Grandmother, or Father or Uncle or Grandfather could have stopped it.

Just a cooler head in the group even?

Agreed, cool August with low temps & calm streets!

I truly feel the only answer to quell all of these reprehensible attacks on our police officers, which is happening all across our nation..is to start stating the truth for a change.

That what's been sorely lacking in the last 6 years or so which has encited these attacks on so many of our officers.

Anything built on a house of false narratives from moment one it began never ends well.

We have seen the destruction it has caused many cities, and it's even more shameful the taxpayers are on the hook for repairing the tremendous damage that shouldn't have ever occurrred in the first place.

Yet the MSM never waits for any of the facts to come forward first, and neither does many high powered politicians.

They not only do not wait for any of the facts nor do they vett the truthfulness of anyone about the false claims, they also putout the very dangerous false narratives 24/7, day after day.

Its tragic nowadays it seems more, and more.. do not care about any of the facts anymore, and will just fall for lies instead believing anything regurgitated if it puts our law enforcement officers in a bad light.

These false narratives told time after time are one of the main reasons our officers are under under attack unfairly.

They must stop for they are tearing our country apart, and enciting the assaults against officers only trying their best to protect their communities who are willing to lay their own lives down to do so. Some tend to forget these officers are apart of their communities who have families themselves.

Yet often many of them during their off time volunteer doing more good selfless deeds, still giving back during the time they are off duty.

I see on almost a daily basis where a police officer has done wonderful things for others even when off duty. Not because they had to, but because they have giving hearts.

Our police officers have been unfairly maligned by many who would never have the courage themselves to laydown their own lives for others they dont even know.

Instead they are all painted by the same wide biased brush when only a few out of over 1.2 million LE ever abuse their power.

I pray that once again soon facts will matter, and false narratives will become a horrible memory of our past history.

If truth, and facts does return so will the respect for our officers as 99 percent deserve.

Only truth, and actual facts can erase all of incitement we have seen against our officers everywhere.

Most all shouldn't have ever taken place in the first place if the media, politicians, and many others had just waited for the facts to unfold that wound up telling a much different story than the dangerous false narrative putout purposefully to encite unfair attacks on our officers.

Return to the TRUTH and FACTS always matter, and that will immensely help the officers from being assaulted, and attacked.

If the false narratives are allowed to continue, and be supported by those who dont care about the truth it will only continue, and worsen.

Jmho

Good to see the arrests!! The utter disrespect shown in the those videos makes me sick! Unfortunately folks will still laugh about it and these punks will be heros to their peers
IMO I think the police embarrass themselves by making such a huge deal about it. Cops aren't the only ones who work with aggressive individuals. So you got water thrown on you. Nurses, mental health workers, halfway house staff, group home staff, detox staff, teachers, and others are assaulted regularly and they don't give press releases over it. It comes with the territory. It's not helpful to the officers, the community, or the public to turn every incident into a divisive us vs. them battle cry. People overwhelmingly support the police, even in neighborhoods where it's not "cool" to say it. I respect and support the police. I have friends who are cops. The constant effort to turn police onto victims of their own citizens to garner sympathy ultimately conveys their inability/unwillingness to do what is recognized as a dangerous and difficult job, imoo.

IMO I think the police embarrass themselves by making such a huge deal about it. Cops aren't the only ones who work with aggressive individuals. So you got water thrown on you. Nurses, mental health workers, halfway house staff, group home staff, detox staff, teachers, and others are assaulted regularly and they don't give press releases over it. It comes with the territory. It's not helpful to the officers, the community, or the public to turn every incident into a divisive us vs. them battle cry. People overwhelmingly support the police, even in neighborhoods where it's not "cool" to say it. I respect and support the police. I have friends who are cops. The constant effort to turn police onto victims of their own citizens to garner sympathy ultimately conveys their inability/unwillingness to do what is recognized as a dangerous and difficult job, imoo.

If any of the workers that you described above, were in the middle of their work shift, and someone dumped a large bucket of water on them, over their head, that person would be charged with assault.

A patient would be sent away somewhere else, a student expelled or suspended, a group home client would be evicted---and they could all be charged criminally.

So no, it doesn't come with the territory. My Aunt, a long time ER nurse, has never had someone run up and dump a bucket of water on her head while she was at work. And she would have called security if it happened, and pressed charges.

ETA: while these cops were being assaulted, they were doing dangerous tasks, involving destining and arresting citizens. Anyone who injects themselves into that legal process, to assault the officers, should be charged criminally, imo.

Exactly. Teachers are continually assaulted as are nurses and doctors. I have read articles about it but the assaults are listed as statistics rather than as news incidences.

Group home staff suffers many assaults.

But we rarely hear anything about it.

I imagine those who have suffered debilitating injuries wish it was only a bucket of water

Exactly. Teachers are continually assaulted as are nurses and doctors. I have read articles about it but the assaults are listed as statistics rather than as news incidences.

Group home staff suffers many assaults.

But we rarely hear anything about it.

I imagine those who have suffered debilitating injuries wish it was only a bucket of water
So what is the point being made here? Is it that 'everyone' gets assaulted at work, so cops shouldn't worry about it?

I have seen news articles about teachers or social workers being assaulted---and charging the attackers.

Here is one:

Wylie middle-schooler accused of beating teacher in class could face assault charge | Wylie | Dallas News

A Wylie middle school teacher was attacked by a 13-year-old boy inside his classroom Wednesday and suffered minor injuries, police said.

The teacher was able to subdue the student without further injury until a school resource officer arrived.

No other students were involved, and police said they expect to file charges of assault on a public servant against the student.

So it looks like not all teachers just shrug and accept being assaulted. If a student hit a teacher in the head with a bucket, would that be ignored? I don't think it would be or should be.

So LE should do what exactly? Let it go until it’s totally commonplace? Just ignore it until something more serious is thrown on them/ at them? Would hot water be ok? What about bleach water? What is the line in the sand? Does LE need to make an announcement listing the abuse and assault that will be tolerated? Would it be ok for LE to throw buckets of water on citizens they had no other interactions with? Maybe LE should bring back the use of fire hoses? They can just pick a block and hose everyone down. All the other officers can gather around and laugh, and laugh. After all it’s no big deal.
If these fine folks want officers to treat them with respect then they must show respect!

Our officers have been murdered in cold blood because of the uniform they wear and/or the color of their skin.

Imo, There is simply no comparison in any other profession where it has happened as many times it has occured against our officers on a continuous basis.

They are not only being assaulted, but they have had to also deal with false narratives being made against them.

Out of the 60K assaulted each year, per the FBI, many officers are left with life altering lifelong injuries.

The vicious assaults against them go far deeper than the latest abuse of throwing buckets of water or hitting them in the head with a bucket, and all of them were totally unprovoked attacks.

So yes, absolutely our officers are VICTIMS who are being assaulted, and attacked.

The FBI stated they expect the already astronomical number of attacks to rise even higher. To pretend they are not being victimized is just not being truthful. Imo.

Many of our officers have been murdered in cold blood this year alone with many more receiving severe injuries.

If any of the criminal situations our officers have had to endure in recent years, but if the cops were the ones doing it....then it would greatly matter to many with probably more violent protests spilling out on our streets.

Imo, The double standards are appalling. Its those double standards that has put all of our officers in such grave danger.

If any other person had been assaulted in any manner in any other profession..the criminals would be immediately arrested, and charged. Rightfully so.

The only time it doesnt seem to matter to many in our nation is when it happens over, and over to the very ones who keep their communities safe. We see the lawless held up, and supported, and our officers are the ones who are being vilified.

When law breakers matter more than law abiders..it shows how severely our country is upsidedown now where total wrongs are seen as right, and rights, and law, and order is seen as wrongs.

Jmho

Last edited:
If any of the workers that you described above, were in the middle of their work shift, and someone dumped a large bucket of water on them, over their head, that person would be charged with assault.

A patient would be sent away somewhere else, a student expelled or suspended, a group home client would be evicted---and they could all be charged criminally.

So no, it doesn't come with the territory. My Aunt, a long time ER nurse, has never had someone run up and dump a bucket of water on her head while she was at work. And she would have called security if it happened, and pressed charges.

ETA: while these cops were being assaulted, they were doing dangerous tasks, involving destining and arresting citizens. Anyone who injects themselves into that legal process, to assault the officers, should be charged criminally, imo.

No, those workers would dry themselves off and document the incident. We weren't even allowed to call LE, let alone charge residents criminally, nor would we want to. Clearly, anyone who pours water on ER staff should have a mental health assessment and receive treatment, not be arrested. EMT's deal with aggression all of the time and they handle it.
Is it not a given that police are responsible for dealing with the most difficult people, either drunk, drugged, or having aggressive mental health issues? That's why I don't get the whole "OMG, someone didn't act right towards the officer!" reaction. People have been bucking authority figures for ages, it's not a new phenomenon, and you'll find it in all groups. The NYPD has so much on it's plate on a daily basis, why put such time and energy into this story? Seriously, it's NYC for God's sake...and that's what the union wants to focus on? Surely there are things the NYPD did on that day that, if broadcast, would truly elevate the department, but instead they chose the "they're picking on us and it hurts!" line. Please.....

No, those workers would dry themselves off and document the incident. We weren't even allowed to call LE, let alone charge residents criminally, nor would we want to. Clearly, anyone who pours water on ER staff should have a mental health assessment and receive treatment, not be arrested. EMT's deal with aggression all of the time and they handle it.
Is it not a given that police are responsible for dealing with the most difficult people, either drunk, drugged, or having aggressive mental health issues? That's why I don't get the whole "OMG, someone didn't act right towards the officer!" reaction. People have been bucking authority figures for ages, it's not a new phenomenon, and you'll find it in all groups. The NYPD has so much on it's plate on a daily basis, why put such time and energy into this story? Seriously, it's NYC for God's sake...and that's what the union wants to focus on? Surely there are things the NYPD did on that day that, if broadcast, would truly elevate the department, but instead they chose the "they're picking on us and it hurts!" line. Please.....
I don't think you can compare the behaviour of someone who is a resident of a mental health centre and random civilians on the street, interfering with an officer while they are arresting someone.

I think a worker at a group home does expect rebellious behaviour. They may be seen as the authority figures who would be lashed out at. Although if there are actually assaulted, they can report it and press charges against the resident.

This is more like if an EMT was working on a patient in the street, and a random group of passerby's ran up and threw a bucket of water at him and then threw the bucket at his head as they ran off. Would that be cool? Should EMTS ignore that if it became a trend?

An officer out on the street, doing their job, may expect resistance from the person they have engaged. But for other random people, to run up and assault them, throwing buckets at their head---that is outrageous behaviour and should not be tolerated.

'Different Treatment' re Assaults on LE vs Teachers, Nurses, Med Techs, et al?

LEOs
Many times these situations we're discussing begin w one LEO and one subject in a public setting. As tensions escalate, LEO calls for additional officers; subject draws attention of ppl nearby who gather to watch. Typically, ensuing assaults are recorded (broadcast & press reporters, ‘citizen journalists’ et al), then vids spread thru MSM, soc media, & livestream.

Teachers .
When a student threatens a classroom teacher, teacher may call for admin, security officers/SROs. School surv vid cams* may capture initial & later actions in these non-pubic places.** But bound by confidentiality laws, schools cannot release classroom vids.

Health care providers .
Patient threats on nurses, doctors, health care providers generally take place in a private setting (med ofc exam room, hosp room, treatment area). Confidentiality laws limit or prohibit releases of info or vids.

Because LEOs and teachers are public/civil service employees, some ppl think these assaults/batteries 'are not that bad and just part of the job.' << Not that I agree, but some do. Some think: 'Our LE & prosecutors should investigate and prosecute, based on laws already on the books.' Others think 'slippery slope: when attackers get away w this, there's no end to it, by the same attackers escalating or by encouraging other to the same behavior. We need stricter laws.'

Different 'treatment' of these ^ assault/battery victims?
Legally speaking, these LEO/teacher/health care provider victims could bring for civil tort actions against their attackers.*** Or they could pursue - thru LE and prosecutors/state's attorneys - criminal actions. As a practical matter, those options are feasible in only an infinitesimally-small percent of these cases.

Different MSM treatment?
MSM broadcasting/airing vid of this OP - bucket & water assault/battery of LEOs, w no reaction - is a rare exception (imo) to the routinely-shown vids of LEOs’ use-of-force on subjects. Somehow, LEOs using/reacting w force is deemed more newsworthy, than ppl initially assaulting/attacking LE. Vids create impact like nothing else does. How much print coverage of this bucket throwing did we see? A couple paragraphs, maybe a still-shot?

What can be done to ppl assaulting/attacking by throwing buckets of water at LE? And much worse. IDK. Sad, sad, sad. All, jmo.

------------------------------------------------------------
* Student in classroom already has witnesses/potential 'reinforcement' by other pupils w smart phones. Occasionally the public sees some of these vids, but they don't usually gather the momentum MSM generates.
* * Not private property, but on school/state/fed prop. The populace does not have the same right to freely enter school buildings as they do to be in public places.

*** When the Tables are Turned? When a bucket thrower's action is met w like force, sometimes his civil action against LE/city results in a settlement or civil judgment which seems outrageously disproportionate to the facts. $$$ for --- physical injuries, okay; pain and suffering, okay; like lottery jackpot, waaaaay too much, imo, jmo, moo

Last edited:
'Different Treatment' re Assaults on LE vs Teachers, Nurses, Med Techs, et al?

LEOs
Many times these situations we're discussing begin w one LEO and one subject in a public setting. As tensions escalate, LEO calls for additional officers; subject draws attention of ppl nearby who gather to watch. Typically, ensuing assaults are recorded (broadcast & press reporters, ‘citizen journalists’ et al), then vids spread thru MSM, soc media, & livestream.

Teachers .
When a student threatens a classroom teacher, teacher may call for admin, security officers/SROs. School surv vid cams* may capture initial & later actions in these non-pubic places.** But bound by confidentiality laws, schools cannot release classroom vids.

Health care providers .
Patient threats on nurses, doctors, health care providers generally take place in a private setting (med ofc exam room, hosp room, treatment area). Confidentiality laws limit or prohibit releases of info or vids.

Because LEOs and teachers are public/civil service employees, some ppl think these assaults/batteries 'are not that bad and just part of the job.' << Not that I agree, but some do. Some think: 'Our LE & prosecutors should investigate and prosecute, based on laws already on the books.' Others think 'slippery slope: when attackers get away w this, there's no end to it, by the same attackers escalating or by encouraging other to the same behavior.'

Different 'treatment' of these ^ assault/battery victims?
Legally speaking, these LEO/teacher/health care provider victims could bring for civil tort actions against their attackers.*** Or they could pursue - thru LE and prosecutors/state's attorneys - criminal actions. As a practical matter, those options are feasible in only an infinitesimally-small percent of these cases.

Different MSM treatment?
MSM broadcasting/airing vid of this OP - bucket & water assault/battery of LEOs, w no reaction - is a rare exception (imo) to the routinely-shown vids of LEOs’ use-of-force on subjects. Somehow, LEOs using/reacting w force is more newsworthy, and vids create impact like nothing else does. How much print coverage of this bucket throwing did we see? A couple paragraphs, maybe a still-shot?

What can be done to ppl assaulting/attacking by throwing buckets of water at LE? IDK.Sad, sad, sad. All, jmo.

------------------------------------------------------------
* Student in classroom already has witnesses/potential 'reinforcement' by other pupils w smart phones. Occasionally the public sees some of these vids, but they don't usually gather the momentum MSM generates.
* * Not private property, but on school/state/fed prop. The populace does not have the same right to freely enter school buildings as they do to be in public places.

*** When the Tables are Turned? When a bucket thrower's action is met w like force, sometimes his civil action against LE/city results in a settlement or civil judgment which seems outrageously disproportionate to the facts. $$$ for --- physical injuries, okay; pain and suffering, okay; like lottery jackpot, waaaaay too much, imo, jmo, moo

I understand the difference above---but the cases we are now talking about are different than past cases. This is not the same thing as an officer engaging with someone, in a traffic stop for example, and they resist or they throw water on him.

These are trending cases of officers engaged in their regular duties, engaging citizens, and then other random roving citizens run up and dump water on them, sometimes throwing the buckets at their heads.

That would be like if a teacher was lecturing in class, and a random group burst in and threw a bucket of water on her, then threw the bucket at her, while filming it and laughing. And then other random teachers in other schools would be similarly assaulted.

Would that be a cool trend? Would we allow that and laugh at it, shrugging it off?

:)@katydid23 Thanks for your post. :)

Good point - distinguishing assaults/attacks by the 'role' of the attacker.
This attack: an attacker is not the subject(s) engaged by LEOs in their tasks at hand
vs.
Other attacks: the person/subject engaged by LEO - say, a traffic "stopee" or a shoplifting suspect - is the attacker.

My post did not distinguish these two types of situations but was more focused on different types of professionals being attacked, i.e., the 'role' of the attacked person. Horrible whether LE, teachers, H/C providers, & others.

{{{ETA: I also meant to highlight why we see more vids of LEOs being attacked than we see of teachers & H/C employees. <<<Confidentiality laws, not applicable to LE in the public places were these attacks typically occur.}}}

Cool trend? No matter who attacks. No, no, no, not at all. Gotta re-read my post to see what gave that impression, then edit, if time. Sorry that the post was interp'ed that way by anyone.

Last edited:
As a retired teacher and as the grandmother of family members in the medical profession, I am very aware of the assaults.

Yes, privacy. We don’t get to throw a student to the ground and put cuffs on him or her. Who do we call? The principal may be a female and out of the school. The other teachers are in their rooms.

And as a teacher if we ever dared to touch a student, I hate to think of the trial.

Violence Against Teachers is a Silent National Crisis

How about the constant effort to turn LE into the bad guy? You have friends that are LE? I have them in my family. Three great kids, that would lay their lives on the line in a heartbeat. Another one that is a Marine that saw a lot of combat action and came back a different person. They are not sympathy seekers. They get paid c*ap. So they are not doing it for the money. They do their job as a service to their community and country.

And no one, no matter their profession, should be accepting this treatment. It's assault and charges should be brought against the perp. For that matter, no one gets paid enough to be as assaulted. And I don't ever recall seeing that being assaulted in any job description.

IMO, these people are punks that fear LE because they are criminals. They use cases like E.G. As an excuse to attack LE.

I am proud of my kids, but I wish they would do something else. IMO, the community is not worthy of my children's sacrifice.

Eta: one of my kids and his fellow officers took huge pay cuts so no one would be layed off.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back