NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most people wouldn't try and argue or resist arrest either.

You must be my age. I actually heard Carol somebody, host of a CNN show this morning, say she would resist arrest if she thought she shouldn't be arrested.

I was hoping a nurse (Zuri) would step in and opine! She grabs his wrist for a while and then his neck. Do you think it's possible they are doing the pulse checks for show since there are so many people filming? Do you see how limp he is and how they make no attempt to help him. Can't believe they would just let him expire....the only thing that makes sense to me is if he is already gone......
If they are doing something for show, cya, they are going to do CPR jmo.

You must be my age. I actually heard Carol somebody, host of a CNN show this morning, say she would resist arrest if she thought she shouldn't be arrested.

I heard someone say that when discussing this at the grocery store.
I was like :eek: Really?
I was taught to respect and listen to and obey LE.

I'm confused. When Hannah Graham went missing, plenty of people said the case was getting tons of national attention because we saw Hannah's possible last moments before being abducted on camera. Now, in this case, we have Eric Garner being killed on camera. And people don't understand why it is a big story? Why is the footage so "newsworthy" in Hannah's case, but not in Eric's case? (Of course there is more to why this case is getting attention than simply being on camera).

Would EMTs or even the police let a man lay on his arm like that? All that weight on his arm.

When they knew that he wasn't breathing, I wonder why they didn't uncuff him and turn him over. Is that against protocol?

Have any of guys seen the second video? The reason they don't perform CPR is because he is already dead. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/19/eric-garner-chokehold-death_n_5602443.html

Your post prompted me to watch the unedited video again. The cop to the right of SG appears to know something is wrong. SG looks cyanotic around his lower face/mouth region and pallor on his forehead and I did not see any respiratory effort. The EMT looks like she realizes it too now that I watch more carefully. She had placed her hand on his abdomen to seemingly check if he was breathing. I watched her face this time more carefully and I do believe she recognized he had arrested. The cop that said SG was breathing was not the cop that stayed to the right of SG. I don't think he was close enough to make that assessment.

You may be very well correct. SG may have been in full cardio/pulmonary arrest on that sidewalk and LE was mistaken in thinking that he was breathing. Does Anyone else see any respiratory effort? IMO

Would EMTs or even the police let a man lay on his arm like that? All that weight on his arm.

His arm wasn't the crucial issue IMO, but may have played a part in his head/airway issue. It was IMO that his airway was not protected. In the video, you can see his head drooping towards his chest. He should have been on his back. His arm li

Maybe one of the new policy changes in NYC will be to call in a medical assessment team before arresting an uncooperative suspect.

Not sure I understand intent of post and don't want to ASSume. ^Serious or Sarc?^

Don't know if this is snark or not, but educating LE on basic health assessment might be useful.

I think if you have a health issue it is your responsibility to wear some sort of medical bracelet showing what health conditions you have. LE can't go around doing health assessments on everyone they come into contact with, again its a matter of being in charge and responsible with our own lives.

The man was doing something illegal, that he has done before, local shop owners call the police, who try to arrest him. He decides for whatever reason, no, you are not going to arrest me, or handcuff me. He gets took down and handcuffed. It just happens that he is not in good health, and ends up dead.
This whole thing is brought before the grand jury, and they decide that no charges will be filed against the cop.
NOW, how do we decide that the grand jury no longer has the say so. Who does that work for? Everyone? Minorities? Minorities who were arrested by non-minorities?
The grand jury said NO. For Gods sake let it end.
What supersedes the GJ? How do we get around that?
So now Eric Holder and Obama just decide 'oh hell no, he's going to jail'
Can't be he's going to court, cause then the jury might let him off, and we're back to square one.
Justice does not always go like you want it to. I, personally, am satisfied. I still feel sorry for the mom, wife and kids, but Dad made some bad decisions.

I think if you have a health issue it is your responsibility to wear some sort of medical bracelet showing what health conditions you have. LE can't go around doing health assessments on everyone they come into contact with, again its a matter of being in charge and responsible with our own lives.

I am not talking taking vital signs. I am saying if you have a MO person under arrest, be careful not to... Same goes for any other type of situation. You can size somebody up pretty fast and know when something is wrong. IMO

The EMT appeared to get a pulse. I don't know if he was dead in that video. He certainly was unresponsive.

Got a pulse, but didn't assess breathing whatsoever, didn't even ask anybody why he was unresponsive. He was unresponsive so therefore should have been boarded as though he had a spinal injury. That is standard emergency medicine.

I agree about personal responsibility. It would be lovely if every person had a medical alert bracelet. Most diabetics do. Some people have their medical condition and meds written down in their wallet. The majority of people do not do this. I was not clear what I meant about basic health assessment. What I meant was if a subject was morbidly obese, you gotta figure some risk factors are in play.

More importantly, when a MO person says they can't breathe, believe them.

Got a pulse, but didn't assess breathing whatsoever, didn't even ask anybody why he was unresponsive. He was unresponsive so therefore should have been boarded as though he had a spinal injury. That is standard emergency medicine.

Don't know about the boarding, but maybe. The cop on the right knew something was wrong...

I heard someone say that when discussing this at the grocery store.
I was like :eek: Really?
I was taught to respect and listen to and obey LE.

Respect is a two way street. That is the problem IMO. Too many (not all, and not most, but too many) LEO are forgetting that and it is tough because they deal with criminals all day everyday but they still need to respect those that they are working for.

The man was doing something illegal, that he has done before, local shop owners call the police, who try to arrest him. He decides for whatever reason, no, you are not going to arrest me, or handcuff me. He gets took down and handcuffed. It just happens that he is not in good health, and ends up dead.
This whole thing is brought before the grand jury, and they decide that no charges will be filed against the cop.
NOW, how do we decide that the grand jury no longer has the say so. Who does that work for? Everyone? Minorities? Minorities who were arrested by non-minorities?
The grand jury said NO. For Gods sake let it end.
What supersedes the GJ? How do we get around that?
So now Eric Holder and Obama just decide 'oh hell no, he's going to jail'
Can't be he's going to court, cause then the jury might let him off, and we're back to square one.
Justice does not always go like you want it to. I, personally, am satisfied. I still feel sorry for the mom, wife and kids, but Dad made some bad decisions.

I understand your point and don't disagree. IMO, what happened should never happen again. IMO the ball was dropped as soon as this human being became unresponsive. Hopefully, there will be lessons learned from this.

Your post prompted me to watch the unedited video again. The cop to the right of SG appears to know something is wrong. SG looks cyanotic around his lower face/mouth region and pallor on his forehead and I did not see any respiratory effort. The EMT looks like she realizes it too now that I watch more carefully. She had placed her hand on his abdomen to seemingly check if he was breathing. I watched her face this time more carefully and I do believe she recognized he had arrested. The cop that said SG was breathing was not the cop that stayed to the right of SG. I don't think he was close enough to make that assessment.

You may be very well correct. SG may have been in full cardio/pulmonary arrest on that sidewalk and LE was mistaken in thinking that he was breathing. Does Anyone else see any respiratory effort? IMO

No, none whatsoever, I think when that video first started you ca hear him cough/choke once and then that was it. Look at his chest and stomach... No movement at all and this is after he was just man handled by 5 cops, one who is clearly juiced up on roids(personal opinion, but I know what those guys look like). He should be breathing quite heavily under these circumstances.

Forgive my layman's terms... Can you correct my assumptions of what you just said?

1)I did not see any respiratory effort = I can't see him breathing (I can't, his stomach doesn't rise and fall)

2)SG looks cyanotic around his lower face/mouth region = ???????? translation please :blushing:

3)pallor on his forehead = his skin looks grey on his forehead ? It does...what does that mean?? :blushing:

Thank you Zuri for being patient! I'm fascinated by you and your brethren's take on things...

Respect is a two way street. That is the problem IMO. Too many (not all, and not most, but too many) LEO are forgetting that and it is tough because they deal with criminals all day everyday but they still need to respect those that they are working for.

LOL!! Thats a good one that's why we have so many criminals thinking they are above the law because of that mindset

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCpsyche
Back