NY NY - Patrick Alford, 7, Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Court decisions that made news in 2010

Today’s column is the first of a two-part chronological review of important law-related news stories on Staten Island in 2010.

On January 22, seven-year-old Staten Islander Patrick Alford disappeared from a Brooklyn foster home where he had been temporarily placed by the city’s Administration For Children’s Services following his remand to that agency by the Family Court.

The placement sprang from allegations that his mother, Jennifer Rodriguez, who had been arrested for shoplifting and is struggling with a drug problem, neglected the child and his younger sister.

Although several family members urged Judge Terrence McElrath to place Patrick with them, he opted instead for temporary foster care.

On Jan. 29, McElrath, believing that Rodriguez knew the whereabouts of her son, took the extraordinary step of remanding her to jail. Four days later, however, he released her on condition that she cooperate with efforts to find Patrick. According to the city’s attorney, she fully complied.

In October, Rodriguez initiated a federal lawsuit seeking to hold the city liable for Patrick’s disappearance. Two weeks ago, she was arrested for the third time this year, the latest allegation being that she waved a knife at a man who came to her home to retrieve his wallet.

As the year ends, Patrick remains missing. Still, McElrath’s decision to place him in foster care can’t reasonably be evaluated without knowledge of all the facts and circumstances that prompted it.

Family Court judges make potentially life-altering decisions every day, and they, like the rest of us, do not have the benefit of hindsight.

http://www.silive.com/opinion/danielleddy/index.ssf/2010/12/court_decisions_that_made_news.html

Court decisions that made news in 2010

[snip]

On January 22, seven-year-old Staten Islander Patrick Alford disappeared from a Brooklyn foster home where he had been temporarily placed by the city’s Administration For Children’s Services following his remand to that agency by the Family Court.

The placement sprang from allegations that his mother, Jennifer Rodriguez, who had been arrested for shoplifting and is struggling with a drug problem, neglected the child and his younger sister.

Although several family members urged Judge Terrence McElrath to place Patrick with them, he opted instead for temporary foster care.

On Jan. 29, McElrath, believing that Rodriguez knew the whereabouts of her son, took the extraordinary step of remanding her to jail. Four days later, however, he released her on condition that she cooperate with efforts to find Patrick. According to the city’s attorney, she fully complied.

In October, Rodriguez initiated a federal lawsuit seeking to hold the city liable for Patrick’s disappearance. Two weeks ago, she was arrested for the third time this year, the latest allegation being that she waved a knife at a man who came to her home to retrieve his wallet.

As the year ends, Patrick remains missing. Still, McElrath’s decision to place him in foster care can’t reasonably be evaluated without knowledge of all the facts and circumstances that prompted it.

Family Court judges make potentially life-altering decisions every day, and they, like the rest of us, do not have the benefit of hindsight.

More: http://www.silive.com/opinion/danielleddy/index.ssf/2010/12/court_decisions_that_made_news.html

Usually, when a child is placed in FC, it's because no other family members have been found to be able to care for the child. They may have had cases themselves, or perhaps they aren't in a stable living situation. Having a child live out of state usually means the person who is petitioning for that needs to come to court, do the paperwork, and prove they have the ability to care for a child.

I can tell you from experience, that I've seen them try to find kinship homes for a child before anything else. They do, it's easier on everyone.

If this foster mom was a Foster parent for awhile, I would say she was probably pretty good. Sadly, no one can be perfect, and to me, it sounds as though this child might have had a pre arrangement with a family or friend. Perhaps the child told whoever via phone that he went with Foster mom to empty garbage, etc, and it was a routine. Then it would be a pretty simple matter to have him come out of the building and meet you somewhere.

But I don't know. It just seems odd this child could dissapear so quickly without being found at that time of day.

Usually, when a child is placed in FC, it's because no other family members have been found to be able to care for the child. They may have had cases themselves, or perhaps they aren't in a stable living situation. Having a child live out of state usually means the person who is petitioning for that needs to come to court, do the paperwork, and prove they have the ability to care for a child.

I can tell you from experience, that I've seen them try to find kinship homes for a child before anything else. They do, it's easier on everyone.

If this foster mom was a Foster parent for awhile, I would say she was probably pretty good. Sadly, no one can be perfect, and to me, it sounds as though this child might have had a pre arrangement with a family or friend. Perhaps the child told whoever via phone that he went with Foster mom to empty garbage, etc, and it was a routine. Then it would be a pretty simple matter to have him come out of the building and meet you somewhere.

But I don't know. It just seems odd this child could dissapear so quickly without being found at that time of day.

Yes, USUALLY they try to place with family. In this case, Jennifer lied about some situations in the father's home. Were the children really in that much danger that they couldn't take a week and check into the situation? Not likely. If they would have, they would have found it to be unfounded. As that is where Patrick's sister is currently. With her father and NOT in the foster system.

I sincerely hope that Patrick had an arrangement to meet someone. But after a year? I just don't think they could keep him hidden for that long.

Yes, USUALLY they try to place with family. In this case, Jennifer lied about some situations in the father's home. Were the children really in that much danger that they couldn't take a week and check into the situation? Not likely. If they would have, they would have found it to be unfounded. As that is where Patrick's sister is currently. With her father and NOT in the foster system.

I sincerely hope that Patrick had an arrangement to meet someone. But after a year? I just don't think they could keep him hidden for that long.

Usually, it's been my limited experience that 'checking someone out' takes awhile. I would bet if they placed the sister, they would have placed Patrick, unless maybe there was only room for one.

I wouldn't be so sure he wouldn't turn up somewhere else. It's not impossible that he was disguised and sent to live in another state or even PR. In some areas, not alot of questions are asked. I had an old work friend who's wife dissapeared out of the country with the children. Some years later his daughter got in contact with him. Bear in mind, no one had any idea they were leaving.

I hope the child is ok, and I certainly think the way he dissapeared is odd, but thats why it feels weird to me.

IMO, if you make a SW mad, he/she can come up with a reason to take any kid.
All it takes is a little creative writing.
My advice is to never let them in your house without a court order.

I'm sorry the experiences you've had have been so negative. There are people everywhere I guess who are on 'power trips'. And it's sad that people have to feel they can't cooperate without a court order.

And my experience is that if a CO is issued, they will definately go for removal, because they then feel theres something going on. :(

Usually, it's been my limited experience that 'checking someone out' takes awhile. I would bet if they placed the sister, they would have placed Patrick, unless maybe there was only room for one.

I wouldn't be so sure he wouldn't turn up somewhere else. It's not impossible that he was disguised and sent to live in another state or even PR. In some areas, not alot of questions are asked. I had an old work friend who's wife dissapeared out of the country with the children. Some years later his daughter got in contact with him. Bear in mind, no one had any idea they were leaving.

I hope the child is ok, and I certainly think the way he dissapeared is odd, but thats why it feels weird to me.

If Patrick had an arrangement with a friend, what possible motivation would that friend's parents have to keep a child hidden for a year? I just can't see that happening. All of Patrick's "local" family has been checked out, multiple times, and their homes have been checked. There were early theories that he may be as far away as Florida or Puerto Rico. But I'm not sure what made them consider this, or to what extent it was investigated. It would be fantastic if he was hidden safely away there. But it's time for him to come home.

Had a dream about Patrick last night. Nothing groundbreaking, haha. He just pops up every once in a while. I was just following him around in the days prior to his disappearance to see what was going on. Really wishing Patrick will be found soon.

I'm sorry the experiences you've had have been so negative. There are people everywhere I guess who are on 'power trips'. And it's sad that people have to feel they can't cooperate without a court order.

And my experience is that if a CO is issued, they will definately go for removal, because they then feel theres something going on. :(

How are they going to get a court order for removal without evidence when most investigations are started based on anonymous calls ?
My daughter's step mom had a caseworker's show up on several occaisions. She wouldn't let them in her house and told them she didn't need their services. They went away and the cases were closed because she didn't give them any ammunition to use against her.

1 year today.
Come home soon, buddy.

161111_44500834_1062188_n.jpg

:heartbeat: Thinking of you tonight, Sweetone. Daydreaming that somewhere today you played in the snow, then had hot cocoa all warm and snug. Stay strong, Angel. We will find you! :heartbeat:

Well, since no media is doing a story on Patrick today, I decided to post a blog I wrote a while ago.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a cold, January night one year ago, seven-year-old Patrick Alford left his apartment complex in the Starrett City section of Brooklyn, New York wearing nothing but a red t-shirt, blue jeans, and black sneakers. He had reportedly slipped away from his foster mother while taking out the trash between 8:00-9:00 pm.

The ensuing search for Patrick has been called one of the biggest in New York history. Helicopters, search dogs, and over 100 officers have looked for the young boy. Over 14,000 people were interviewed, including all 6,000 residents of the apartment complex Patrick disappeared from. An additional 214 buildings were searched, and 9,100 doors were knocked on. Seven registered sex offenders near the apartment complex were interviewed, as were 28 bus drivers, seven Brooklyn car service employees, and 21 family members, friends, and acquaintances. Eighty-one surveillance videos were analyzed, including one video from a Manhattan terminal of the Staten Island Ferry that showed a boy fitting Patrick’s description being led away by a woman. Patrick’s family says that the boy is not Patrick. A situation room was even devoted to Patrick at the precinct house. His case has appeared on America’s Most Wanted three times. His scent was traced to a bus stop two blocks away from the apartment complex. Yet, a year later, the seven-year-old has yet to be found.

MORE: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/blog.php?b=896

I am really, really, extremely peeved that there was nothing on Patrick in the news today. Very upset.

I was thinking NYDN would have something written up about him since they were tweeting regularly recently - it *is* disappointing that the media didn't cover his case today. :(

Finally.

'Nightmare' year for Jennifer Rodriguez as her young son is still missing

Jennifer Rodriguez turns 24 today, and she has only one wish: She wants her 8-year-old back safe and sound.

A year ago yesterday, her son, Patrick Alford, disappeared in Brooklyn.

[snip]

The young mother yesterday held a simple vigil outside a beauty salon on Castleton Ave. on Staten Island, where Patrick used to play with his friends.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran
Back