Found Deceased NY - Paul McKay, 31, Saranac Lake, 31 Dec 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SARANAC LAKE - Local residents stood outside in the bitter cold this morning to pay their respects to an Australian Army veteran who, authorites say, intentionally froze to death on an Adirondack mountain.

A hearse carrying the body of Paul McKay, bound for his native Australia, moved slowly through downtown just before 8 a.m., led by a village police car, a state Department of Environmental Conservation forest ranger truck and a state police cruiser.

About two dozen local residents, some standing alone, others in small groups, stood on the sidewalk in the minus-12-degree temperatures as the somber procession passed by. Some, including several veterans, saluted. Others held their hands over their hearts or made the sign of the cross. One held up an Australian flag.

k9ugs2.jpg

Saranac Lake honors McKay with procession
Read more: http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...ke-honors-McKay-with-procession.html?nav=5008

The community of former Australian Defence members is anguished over McKay's death, according to Peter Gunn of Ballarat, in the Australian state of Victoria. Gunn is a former Defence member who called the Enterprise unsolicited Friday to thank the local community and emergency services for their attention to McKay.

"We're shocked. We're upset," Gunn said.

The big "question mark" for them, he said, is post-traumatic stress disorder and how it is affecting other Australian soldiers.

"It's too hard to handle because it's massive," Gunn said. "How do we help those guys?"
Australians express grief, thanks over McKay search
Read more: http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...grief--thanks-over-McKay-search.html?nav=5008

Safe journey Paul...you are going home.

Thankyou to all the folks in Saranac Lake.

My thoughts & prayers go out to his family,friends & comrades.

I dont know, but I think we're all grieving. Even though we didn't know the Captain, it feels like we were on the journey with him. I wonder where the funeral and/or memorial sevice will be and whether it will ve open to the public. I would like to pay my respects to the Captain.

I dont know, but I think we're all grieving. Even though we didn't know the Captain, it feels like we were on the journey with him. I wonder where the funeral and/or memorial sevice will be and whether it will ve open to the public. I would like to pay my respects to the Captain.

I keep watching the Adelaide papers because I think Paul may be coming back here. His family are here, he went to Uni here, a local church here had Paul on their prayer list while he was in Afghanistan. I think Adelaide may be his original home town.

I keep watching the Adelaide papers because I think Paul may be coming back here. His family are here, he went to Uni here, a local church here had Paul on their prayer list while he was in Afghanistan. I think Adelaide may be his original home town.

Indeed I believe it is, South Aussie. I think he'll end up in Adelaide, but I'm just wondering whether Canberra will want to do something. I haven't seen anything about plans either.

Indeed I believe it is, South Aussie. I think he'll end up in Adelaide, but I'm just wondering whether Canberra will want to do something. I haven't seen anything about plans either.

I hope they have a service for Paul in Canberra too. From what I have seen he has won awards and achievements, lived his life to the fullest. I think many of his mates and fellow diggers there would like to honour him.

As an aside, Abbott would like to see an Aussie military resting-place in Canberra by Anzac Day 2015.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/abbo...onal-war-cemetery-for-act-20131018-2vrvm.html

R.I.P. beautiful Paul.
I can't express how deeply this has touched me.
My heart goes out to Family and friends.

From one corner of the world to another.
It has brought us closer together.

On a personal note, my Mom was a Lieutenant in the Army, WWII.

She suffered from PTSD, only it didn't have a name back then. Her outcome was bleak. I hope we can all contribute to awareness of this to help all Vets and Heroes.

Thanks go out to the good folks of Saranac Lake, their dedication, integrity, and their spirit.

I will plan a trip there, somewhere I've always wanted to visit. :loveyou:

I was hoping against all odds that they would find him alive. RIP Paul :(

I'm still not finding anything about Paul's service. Maybe there is a lot of red tape.

The local church mentioned his passing on their FB page on 26th January.

Paul is safely home and funeral arrangements are being made. His parents are private people who want to grieve away from the press.

Thankyou very much, Sad person. I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Capt McKay was a fine soldier and an even finer human being. My heart goes out to you and Capt McKays parents and loved ones at this time. I'm so terribly, terribly sorry:anguish:

Paul is safely home and funeral arrangements are being made. His parents are private people who want to grieve away from the press.

I'm so glad Paul is safely home. Thank you for letting us know, Sad person.

Heartfelt condolences to Paul's family, sent with the deepest respect for Paul.

I have seen a funeral notice for Paul - this Saturday in a beautiful cathedral here in Adelaide. It has no details but the church and time and funeral directors name.

ETA: Donations to a soldiers organisation in lieu of flowers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurtisEmant
Back