NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe there is a mafia connection here, but mafia keeps being brought up so I thought I'd share a story (or two).
back in the day my mothers friend was attempting to divorce his wife. the wife's connected family did not appreciate this. one night while out with my mother shots were fired at his vehicle. they survived the night and my mother never made an effort to see him again. (not sure he survived his marriage/divorce after that). this occurred on LI in the 70s.

story number 2, an ex-coworker of mine was married and had a child but felt he was living a lie as he came to terms with his homosexuality. his wife's family gave him an option, leave on his own and never return, NEVER have contact with his child... or die. his child will soon be an adult and he still believes if he ever makes contact he will be killed.

so if there is mafia involvement, id believe it's closer to home, and family related than union thugs.

Could it be that he was in trouble for stealing from work sites and it caught up to him?

Good question. On the one hand, I am not sure "real life" mimics real mafia connections. However, I have about 0 experience with mafia connections.

On the other hand, while traveling through NYC about 4 or 5 years ago, we took an exit looking for a hotel and drove up on a couple of dark sedans with tinted windows that scared the bejeesuz out of me - guys in suits, at night, in the DARK, by an abandoned building.
UUUMMMM!!......yeah. I live in northern NJ, I stumbled upon a scene being shot for the Sopranos, I took a double take not realizing what it was, so strange, 4 big men dressed in suits in a sedan....I was at a light, thinking that's weird, and then I saw that they were filming at a house on the corner. Since then I've come to discover that a few high profile retired gangsters live in my area. Not just something you see on TV, alive and well in this area...not sure if that's what happened to RM, but not that far fetched..

Good Morning all-----jumping to reply to Codger's post @ 478----
I have believed that RM left willingly from the start--my thoughts for the "why" he left have changed---none the less---at this point in time I have always felt that there was alot that was contrived about the scene--THE CAR at the station etc and there is nothing nefarious about his leaving.
He has his tools, and scrapped or tossed the club------he went home to drop off things and take things (drop off letters-which I believe he did-to his kids--get clothes, toiletries, ID and sundries). The phone was left b/c it's not his, and the cash was either divvied up with co-workers sor a "middle finger" to IM.
IMO he planned to leave--and IM knew--he either left as planned or earlier than planned. The fact that it was Father's Day weekend--I think was a coincidence.
Now to THE CAR (jazz hands!! throw glitter!!)----if RM moved it he may have the keys or tossed them. If someone else moved the car (as we are supposed to believe b/c the seat was moved--and I questioned the mirrors inside and out, was the gas tank full--A/C on or off, radio on or off and what stations, seat belt--does it have one those adjustable things on the strap) they may have the keys or they were tossed. The keys may be in a purse, a jacket pocket, still in sight.
RM may have contacted LE to tell them he is alive and living xyz--he may even have the GTO.
My point is (and it took me along time to get there) IMO he left willingly and it was not a surprise. I think IM thought she could shame him or make him guilty enough to come home. This may have been a trial separation and it turn a public turn.
It seems so strange that from the beginning the mssing man remained a guy on a poster. Innumerable questions were asked about describing him and no answers ever came---it appeared to me that the missing person is supposed to remain missing.

Eliza-- thank you for giving me a question!!!-----As regards RM's privacy----Could he have begun divorce proceedings/separation proceedings that would stop IM from prying into his private life?? I guess I am thinking along the lines of a restraining order----so that she could not run his SS# and find out where he was working.
I dont think RM is a dead-beat dad--I believe he has his kids provided for.

If a large sum of money was missing, why would IM want to search that wooded preserve area, or whatever it is? If money is gone, he likely took off, IMO.

what money???----and I am with you on the Preserve--makes odd sense to me

Cawfee I understand there's a bit of boy who cried wolf thing going on here. It's hard to believe any of the FAQs when they have been changed, withheld, and in the blatant case of the video at Arrow, mysteriously lied about.

Your scenario makes far too many assumptions for me. Occam's razor, ya know?

I tried to find the source of the "club found under the front seat" of the car but could not.

Am I losing my mind or do others remember that the club was actually in the car when it was found, just not engaged?

I remember that too-----your mind is fine!!!! IIRC it was missing, then it was found under the seat and then it was missing. I think its thread one into two.

Why would he come home, then leave if he was that scared or worried?
What was at the house then?
Why did the phone get shut off a 2:45pm? If he was worried about the phone, wouldn't he have turned it off before he arrived home?
IMOO.

Tree-- I guess he was concerned about time---had a small window to work within----had to get home-get stuff-leave cash, phone etc and go
not sure about phone--and did he leave/was it found--phone charger, ear piece for phone????

Maybe the phone wasn't shut off until he got home, so that it would be found out that yes, he did make it home, and the phone would ping or be found at home, turned off??

Yes, my brain hurts, too!

IMOO.

passing around Advil and ice-packs----OK how about this---Employer turn the phone off b/c RM quit. RM said--the phone will be at this place.
I need more cawfee

If he had a stash of cash at home, then I would think that he would have installed a video security system in and around his own home..........
And if he has a surveillance system, was it disabled?
IMOO.

nice one!!!!! Maybe thats why so much happens in the garage?? No security cameras in there??? Maybe cameras focus on front and back doors-not garage---could be why its a preferred exit and entry to house b/c no cameras

He said that 7 weeks after Rob had been there. I'm guessing he was most likely recalling his usual visits, not that one day.

"well-composed"---doesn't that sound like an odd way to describe someone?? Its not a phrase you hear everyday.

That has to be one hell of a camera to pick up a face so clearly and so sharply.

Yeah, I have to agree. He could have been straining to see or the sun was in his eyes. I'm not usually smiling, while I'm using those machines-- especially when I'm alone and not joking with someone. His facial expression could mean nothing. JMO

Periwinkle-----your post @ 560--- you reminded me of something---I seem to be word oriented this morning---"I/We will keep you safe"---its like a paraphrase of a song lyric--from Les Mis---the song Marius and Eponine sing when she dies.

ive tried to keep up with this case, but have some questions.
<modsnip>
is rm a convicted felon? i doubt they had an illegal gun, but who knows.
do we have links to statements/quotes from his family?

sorry if these answers have been beaten to death, and i promise to keep up better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member