NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remeber reading that. She called a friend or a family member working for LE, at 4 pm. I will find the link.

I went through all the links of all the threads, and I can't find it. I am sure I read it in the links posted here. It seams that stories are updated in the meantime. Some links even took me to completely different stories.
Sorry!

Its JMO but I believe (as I have more faith in canines than humans) IF he drove himself to the train station, got out, unloaded the bike from back seat or trunk, hopped on + peddled off into the sunset :bicycle: then - the dogs would pick up at least a bit of his scent in the parking lot, regardless of how far they could track it, they would hit on it. JMO
I bolded above - this bugs me to no end - WHERE are his tools? Have they been found? A man + his tools are not easily parted. In my little bit of life experience anyway. If he wanted to get rid of everything, ok, but where are they? Dumped? Scrapped? Pawned? Home? Jobsite? They didn't just vanish. Nor did his lunch pail. JMO

Perhaps he needed to use his tool belt to carry something, such as as gun. Just speculating.

But why didn't dogs pick up his scent??? unless he rode to preserve and had somebody pick him up there

Three possible reasons:

1) He was never at the train station
2) Conditions at the train station made picking up a scent difficult
3) Used an air scent dog rather than a ground scent dog. This scenario required a ground scent dog.

The preserve would require both a ground scent dog(s) and cadaver dog(s) along with grid searchers.

I went through all the links of all the threads, and I can't find it. I am sure I read it in the links posted here. It seams that stories are updated in the meantime. Some links even took me to completely different stories.
Sorry!

There was a FB page started right after the disappearance that was closed down. A lot of what was posted on that first page can no longer be accessed. Those who were interested in this case from the beginning remember a lot of those initial posts. I believe the info you were looking for was stated on that first page.

Just a quick comment on the GTO - a bike would not fit in it, unless it was taken apart - trunk or otherwise

If you are quite sure about this, it would be an important point. And it would beg the question...why is the bike missing if it would not fit in the car?

Perhaps he needed to use his tool belt to carry something, such as as gun. Just speculating.

Now there is a visual!
Sorry couldn't resist that one!:seeya:

I think his tools and tool belt were
A. left at the job site or
B. tossed in a body of water or a trash can

If you are quite sure about this, it would be an important point. And it would beg the question...why is the bike missing if it would not fit in the car?

We don't know when the bike went missing.

I have a question??????

If You don't give a persons scent to a dog will the dog follow that last scent left?

All of the mountain bikes that Mr A and I have owned had removable wheels. Before we bought a bike rack we would regularly stuff both bikes in the back of a small car. I kid you not. Taking the wheels off was very easy and quick.

I thought I read there was some controversy on the length of the morning phone call. Some say IM said 45 minutes and others thought she said 4 to 5 minutes. IM is quoted as saying his last words were I love you at the end of the call and another interview she said the call was dropped. I am sorry I dont have the links, this is just from my memory.

Also, I asked about who in the family was in law enforcement and had some replies. I dont know how to look thru only my posts, but I think you will find a link regarding the LE being called and at what time.

Here is another thought!

What if his reason for getting up early was to go to the train station and take the train to meet someone, this someone takes him to work where Robert does his thing for a while and then leaves early....
Nothice his car was never reported as seen at the scrap yard so I believe this same person took him there,,,, then took him home so he could leave his stuff and he exits stage right with mystery person im now thinking he has a GF!!!!

I thought I read there was some controversy on the length of the morning phone call. Some say IM said 45 minutes and others thought she said 4 to 5 minutes. IM is quoted as saying his last words were I love you at the end of the call and another interview she said the call was dropped. I am sorry I dont have the links, this is just from my memory.

Also, I asked about who in the family was in law enforcement and had some replies. I dont know how to look thru only my posts, but I think you will find a link regarding the LE being called and at what time.

I read both also but I believe the dropped call or hang up! JMO

Three possible reasons:

1) He was never at the train station
2) Conditions at the train station made picking up a scent difficult
3) Used an air scent dog rather than a ground scent dog. This scenario required a ground scent dog.

The preserve would require both a ground scent dog(s) and cadaver dog(s) along with grid searchers.

Hi Tracker, your posts are always awesome and informative....your expertise is greatly appreciated and an invaluable asset to this forum.

Just a question.......is it possible the dogs just missed it altogether? Obviously they are extensively trained, but what is their margin of error? Are they ever just wrong and missed it?

<snipped>
And I am not speaking of FB and WS......I am speaking of interviews, etc.... I never said they werent PRESENT at the search, I said they are SILENT and havent SPOKEN.
Perhaps, as you say, I did miss them speaking, can you provide the links? If so, I have NO PROBLEM admitting that I am wrong.....I have eaten crow before. I dont have and EGO problem....please supply the back up. Thanks!

http://halfhollowhills.patch.com/gr...arties-to-find-missing-dix-hills-man_781a7088

RM's sister is quoted in this article.

I am glad that you brought this up, because in My mind I was thinking that IM asked someone from RM's past if he had been in contact with RM, and this person from RM's past lied, in the fact that yes they were texting....

So, when somebody writes something, it really is Individualistic on how the reader interprets what that person means, especially using pronouns in the context of that sentence...he, and him....Is the He RM or the someone from RM's past....

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - #1

QUOTE FROM NCNY FROM THE LINK ABOVE AND SNIPPED FOR SPACE............

"All the information regarding calls and texts were combed through and all leads go nowhere with the phone"
"there was at one point early on that we thought of someone Rob associated with as he lied about being in touch with him when asked by IM only to find out they were in touch through texts..."

IMOO.

sorryfor not snipping posts---on my first cawfee at 9am--and that aint good----But the "texting person"---maybe he/she isn't from RM's past but IM's or another family member-----just another layer to our onion

I can see this. There could have been emotional drama for sure, which is not unusual. It may not have happened exactly that way, but you make the story sound believable. The only thing is that his car was seen leaving the driveway before she arrived home a few minutes later.

If she (or someone) had left her car somewhere else (train station?) - making it look like she wasn't home when he arrived, thereby also catching him off guard - she (or someone) could have driven his car there to leave it and pick her car up and drive right back home...

Thus explaining his car coming/going quickly and her car being seeing quickly afterwards.

And if she was only gone a few minutes, having taken his car and not leaving one there, maybe figuring then they would HAVE to talk about things (or whatever) b/c he couldn't leave (his car wasn't there and he wouldn't know where she put it, and until she got back to the house her car obviously wouldn't have been there either) that really could explain her quick concern over him being missing.

If she thought she could catch him off guard and have him stranded, only to turn around and find him not there a few minutes later, I could see someone getting very panicked quickly.

Especially once it was obvious he didn't just walk around the block to cool off.

And then that could explain LE thinking it isn't foul play - b/c she assumes he left in a huff and would be back sooner or later, after all, how far could he go on foot - but yet her filing the police report quickly. (Heck, even that could have been a 'how dare you' - if he were to have left in a huff)

Do we know the timeline of when the bike was realized to be gone vs. when she found the phone and $ in the garage. Could the latter two have led to realizing the former was missing? Or the former being found missing made the latter two get found?

That definitely was an 'out of the box' theory that I could see explaining most of the little we know and filling in some of the many gaps.

Other than, of course, where he'd have gone to.

I agree. I live in RM's area, and have never seen even 1 poster up anywhere. I spoke to a work friend today, who is also in the same town, and whom I haven't seen all summer. She knew NOTHING about the case, surprisingly, until I mentioned it.

Interesting...

So not a huge effort being made to get the word out about him missing...

LE not only doesn't think foul play at this point, but family/friends must not either?

No real "please just come back" - as if they think he's missing by choice?
No "we've got to find this guy he's in danger" - as if he's missing not by choice?
And not even "did anyone see" - as if to be concerned about suicide or...?

Heck, I see signs around town for missing people all the time - plastered everywhere (for the same individual or two) - and they don't have a thread on WS nor have I even really heard it on the news, but I've seen the signs everywhere.

Interesting that it sounds like neither method is really being used (signs or news media) and really it doesn't sound like much urgency from anyone?

IMO, the cops are not going to waste their resources if they have come to the conclusion no foul play has been committed. Hence no search of the home. I would think that it would be worthwhile to search for fingerprints though where his wallet and cell phone were just to confirm it was indeed him in the house and not a third party driving the car. But again, no evidence of a crime so LE is not going to waste time investigating.

OK--second cup kicking in---not picking on you Drib (Welcome!!!!!!)--am going to jump from IMo your sensible place-----have not discussed alot of fingerprints-but of course how many times per day are we touching phones???

My question for the group is------at a certain point of the investigation (lets say just where we are now-knowing what we know-and the players involved/not involved) will another aspect of LE take over or will resources be pooled????? SCPD joining with Feds for the sake of argument

Interesting...

So not a huge effort being made to get the word out about him missing...

LE not only doesn't think foul play at this point, but family/friends must not either?

No real "please just come back" - as if they think he's missing by choice?
No "we've got to find this guy he's in danger" - as if he's missing not by choice?
And not even "did anyone see" - as if to be concerned about suicide or...?

Heck, I see signs around town for missing people all the time - plastered everywhere (for the same individual or two) - and they don't have a thread on WS nor have I even really heard it on the news, but I've seen the signs everywhere.

Interesting that it sounds like neither method is really being used (signs or news media) and really it doesn't sound like much urgency from anyone?

Flyers are being posted all around Long Island and beyond. They get taken down and re-posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member