GUILTY NY - Sarah Goode, 21, Medford, 6 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It seems that a few categories follow under that penal code charge. One is referring to police officer or parole officer being murdered. Then it lists or this, or that. Example vii is murder when victim is raped or during course of robbery. Even though that charge has police officer in the title there are other reasons this charge may be used. Vii fits this case. Im confused as to why it says 7/24/14 as the date added for these new/upgraded charges. Are these definite new charges (it appears so) or is a grand jury scheduled for that day? The next court date is 7/22 so doesn't even correlate with that. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fearing that also inquisitive9----------and I am thinking that charges are hinging on all the DNA found in Sarah's car---DT has told that he doesnt remember anything that night and his attorney is likely building his case on that--or DT is naming names and LE and all are looking for proof.

I am sending so much love and prayers for justice to Sarah's family and friends---be strong

This is my concern for this case. If he claims or claimed that he doesn't remember anything that night then what happens? I know they have cell phone evidence as well as other evidence pinning him to the crime but it makes me wonder what happens?
If DT is naming names it wouldn't matter since his bloody print and cell phone records indicate he is the one who killed her unless other DNA can place someone else at the scene. Can they really take his testimony serious about placing the blame on someone else if he does claims to not remember anything that night?

It is a bit confusing. I have NO idea about the "police officer" mention. However...his charges have been upgraded to first degree.

New York Penal - Article 125 - § 125.27 Murder in the First Degree

As for the "a" part...read down to the bottom of my link (wont let me copy n paste).

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.27_125.27.html

Sparkly,
If you scroll to the bottom in this link, go to "a", it addresses the "frame of mind".

This is my concern for this case. If he claims or claimed that he doesn't remember anything that night then what happens? I know they have cell phone evidence as well as other evidence pinning him to the crime but it makes me wonder what happens?
If DT is naming names it wouldn't matter since his bloody print and cell phone records indicate he is the one who killed her unless other DNA can place someone else at the scene. Can they really take his testimony serious about placing the blame on someone else if he does claims to not remember anything that night?

I don't think it matters whether or not he claims amnesia if the evidence is there. Most murderers plead not guilty and don't say a word. The evidence should decide the outcome. Jmo

I'm late to this but I am so happy to see an arrest made! My thoughts go out to Sarah's family and friends.

If DT does claim he did not remember anything at trial this would be whats known as an affirmative defense. The burden of proof would shift from the prosecutor to the defense to prove he had a mental disease or defect. A defendant almost never wins this, the burden of proof can't be met.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...eath-increased-to-1st-degree-murder-1.8858797

Charge against accused killer in Sarah Goode's death increased to 1st-degree murder

Charges against the man accused of stabbing a single mother to death and leaving her body in the woods near her Medford home have been increased to first-degree murder, according to court records.

The indictment against Dante Taylor, 19, a former Marine from Mastic, will be unsealed when he is arraigned Thursday in state Supreme Court. When he was returned from Florida July 11 after being arrested there, he had been charged with second-degree murder.

If convicted of the new top charge, he faces life in prison without parole.

<modsnip>

Sorry Bessie! Wanted to get the important stuff in there.

Because it was discussed here, I want mention that the article said the police wouldn't comment on the increased charges but the paper suggested that when murder is the result of committing another crime, like rape, that it constitutes first degree.

I just got a news alert on my cell from Newsday saying they up the charges to First Degree murder.

If convicted of the new top charge, he faces life in prison without parole. He's accused of stabbing Sarah Goode, 21, numerous times and sexually assaulting her in an attack in her car June 7. Her body was found five days later.

Suffolk prosecutors refused to comment on the new charges before the arraignment. If a person intentionally kills another while also committing certain other felonies, including attempted forcible rape, that constitutes first-degree murder.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...eath-increased-to-1st-degree-murder-1.8858797

Sorry you guys are quick

Channel 12 news is reporting that DT has been indicted on first degree charges today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back