NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so too. If its relevant, should be fine.
Ok, thank you.

One of the facilities that I worked for, a certain time each shift a "trash run" would be held. One inmate from each unit would bring bags of trash out from the unit that they resided in and it would be placed inside a room in which that room would have a heavy steel bar that was padlocked from the inside and an Officer had to retrieve the padlock key from the Control Room a few minutes prior to the trash run. The trash bags were not searched unless there was probable cause and in my many many years of service, I never saw a trash bag searched. After the inmate places the trash in the area, the Officer then goes through 2 padlocked doors and brings the bags out to the dumpster located just outside of the facility door.
While doing a trash run on May 15th years ago, yes I remember the day and I have never forgotten it. On that day, a new Officer walked past me when I was in the corridor exiting the trash room. He had a look about him that I cannot explain for anyone to know that he had an off the wall look. I asked him if he was ok and he told me that he was not ok. But he was relieved that I had asked him that in that place and time.
He went on to tell me that his father's friend was murdered in a facility where his father used to work as a Correctional Officer. I was stunned and asked him to tell me more he told me that his father worked with a woman named Donna Payant. Donna worked for Green Haven in New York. Her father worked at the Clinton Dannemora Prison for 28 years. Donna's husband worked for Clinton/Dannemora and Donna requested a transfer there from Green Haven i 1981. Donna had just became a Correctional Officer. On 15 May 1981 Donna was murdered in the prison chapel by free-range inmate Lemuel Smith. Smith had a horrifying record before he became the prison free-range.

Donna was a Correctional Officer in the Green Haven Maximum Security Prison in New York State. Yet with all of the security, Donna was tortured, murdered and dumped with the trash.

I have to say that since my co-worker who in a short time became my good friend informed me of his father's friend/co-worker Donna, I never would have know about her and I never would have thought that I would still think about her long after retirement. I always think of Donna, more so in the month of May.
Donna was married and had a husband with three children.
Her father worked for Clinton and so did her husband.
Please, if you have the time, research Donna Payant (Correctional Officer victim) and Lemuel Smith)

That encounter doing that trash forever planted the seed in my mind never to forget what happened to Donna that day. I also made such a good friend. That is so good. The bad thing is that security has not stepped up and the horror that happened to Donna was not taken serious, if Donna's murder was taken serious, drastic measures would have been implored in all facilities nation wide.
Oh, and while you are at it, please check the times of when Donna went missing and when the inmate lock down finally occurred. It will have you seething.

Here are a few links if you would like to know more about Donna;

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/18/n...gregated-from-other-inmates-for-51-years.html

http://www.leagle.com/decision/198410463NY2d41_1101

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/07/nyregion/two-time-murderer-accused-of-killing-a-prison-guard.html

Donna's case was recently on Forensic Files. I recall listening to it on SiriuSXM satellite radio while driving, Thora_Jay. IIRC, forensic odontological evidence helped make the case? (I could be wrong, and forgive me, if I am.... I don't want to be graphic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one that shows why her previous husband divorced her because of her cheating on him.

Some excerpts from article:

"She’s a real “troublemaker.”

"The prison worker suspected of helping two killers escape was caught in the act having sex with a colleague at her old job — breaking up both their marriages, it was revealed Wednesday."

"“I know for a fact that a friend of mine who works at the prison told the authorities there not to hire her because she’d cause trouble — but they did, and now look what happened.”"

"Law enforcement sources have said convicted killer Richard Matt wooed Joyce behind bars while she supervised the sewing shop at the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora."

http://nypost.com/2015/06/10/accomplice-is-a-sex-crazed-homewrecker-ex-coworker/

Thank you Hatfield I was late getting back and was looking for this link. I recall her ex also saying and I paraphrase that he had hoped she had lost her "will to wonder" so to speak.
I guess not.

What did she think she was going to accomplish doing this? What was so worth her freedom and possible loss of family that she was willing to help these felons?
Things like this fascinate and appall me both at the same time.

No Kimi I did not see your post I am sorry.All I know is that my heart hurt for Donna years ago and my heart will always hurt and that change was expected so long ago.

No need to apologize Thora_Jay! :heartluv:

This report was compiled many years after Donna's murder :( I'm not even sure I can say my post was related.

I remember from the Forensic Files episode. Donna was a maverick (the first female CO at her facility), and that was a point of contention back then. She paved the way for the female COs of today, but you know firsthand that she did so with her life.

I had no idea that changes weren't implemented as a result of what was done to her. That is mind-boggling to me, after 34 years! :no:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one yet that recall mentioned whether or not there were any gang-related activities with these two. If so, they could be getting help on the outside from members. I don't know about Clinton but Elmira Max is full of gangs. Maybe I missed something - but just wondering.

The prison staffer is rumored to have had affairs with both Matt and Sweat, before providing them with contraband for their escape....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hunt-murderers-seventh-day.html#ixzz3czLMMfiH

And this is not her first rodeo
http://nypost.com/2015/06/10/accomplice-is-a-sex-crazed-homewrecker-ex-coworker/
She’s a real “troublemaker.”
The prison worker suspected of helping two killers escape was caught in the act having sex with a colleague at her old job — breaking up both their marriages, it was revealed Wednesday.

Having sex with a coworker is nothing. Lol.

Probably 80% of the workforce has affairs.

I've thought they left the area shortly after their escape. My guess is they were smart enough to not tell JM their actual plans as to where they were headed.

Like your idea that JM may have shown up and they dismissed her. If I recall, the K-9's followed their scent for a short while before it disappeared. Perhaps she gave them a ride across town and then told her to get lost. I bet she gave them money if she did meet with them.

According to the press conference Wednesday was the first time a scent was picked up which I just can't understand if they feel that they are on foot.

I have a strong feeling that they left the prison several times during the night and they came back. They had everything ready for this escape. Water and supplies and money. Probably even had bikes.

Jeremy Mathsen retweeted
George Mallet ‏@georgemallet 5m5 minutes ago

DA Andrew Wylie discusses #PrisonBreakNY has updates tonight at 10 and 11. @WPTZ @HannahWPTZ @VanessaWPTZ @RachelWPTZ

More & more I'm thinking that Matt & Sweat are no longer in the area. If they are, they must be holed up in a vacant house somewhere. It's been an entire week now & they have to have access to food & water, especially water. Reportedly neither is a survivalist.

Consider this scenario, JM met them as previously agreed. They either told her to get lost or threatened to kill her & she somehow managed to escape. Either of those situations could have caused her 'attack of nerves' that sent her to the hospital. Her 'attack of nerves' could have been caused by her 'love' rejecting her or just plain old fear.

I'll throw in another scenario for consideration.

These two men have both joined in on manipulation of one woman to the extreme :moo: Obviously they were in cahoots in such. Therefore, I'm more tending that they just manipulated her for one, and only one reason. To get out of the prison. It makes sense to me that in this scenario that they threw her a red herring as to the pick up. Consider that they never intended for her to pick them up and made other plans, knowing that she may be summoned during the time the came out of the manhole, and that eventually she would "break".

Personally, I discount anything that she was told as to their plans after they came out of that manhole at this time, until tomorrow comes along and my mind changes, lol.

According to the press conference Wednesday was the first time a scent was picked up which I just can't understand if they feel that they are on foot.

CNN said rain may have thrown off the scent for the dogs.

I don't know how to explain the food wrappers and bedding found, but I'm now on board with them not being in that area at all.

Having sex with a coworker is nothing. Lol.

Probably 80% of the workforce has affairs.

According to Dr. Glass' research, 46 percent of unfaithful wives and 62 percent of unfaithful husbands in her practice over the last two decades had affairs with someone at work.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiNuITlgY7GAhWCl4AKHfZ6AFI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shirleyglass.com%2Fdallas.htm&ei=R9Z8Vc34EIKvggT29YGQBQ&usg=AFQjCNHd9LvvZtWGipG52qN-IauPXJ0mgA&sig2=SJybqNNZymcqG-EyoHjqRQ&bvm=bv.95515949,d.eXY

Conservative infidelity statistics estimate that “60 percent of men and 40 percent of women will have an extramarital affair. These figures are even more significant when we consider the total number of marriages involved, since it's unlikely that all the men and women having affairs happen to be married to each
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjABahUKEwiNuITlgY7GAhWCl4AKHfZ6AFI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.menstuff.org%2Fissues%2Fbyissue%2Finfidelitystats.html&ei=R9Z8Vc34EIKvggT29YGQBQ&usg=AFQjCNGkWI3_UL8z-b3iXmuq-I1_K9oOgw&sig2=llI5QsNFY87jjp6cnhEB0w&bvm=bv.95515949,d.eXY

According to all the latest statistics, the workplace has become the #1 place for married people who engage in infidelity to meet the other person.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDoQFjAEahUKEwiNuITlgY7GAhWCl4AKHfZ6AFI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cheatingspousepi.com%2Faffair_at_work%2F&ei=R9Z8Vc34EIKvggT29YGQBQ&usg=AFQjCNFhRpwXXIpOC_EKBw22u3oQ3_3nSw&sig2=6QkBXDnhTWoukbcHxzfWHg&bvm=bv.95515949,d.eXY

I have not been following case very closely, but wondering what is known re: how long it took them to build escape tunnel? Did they dig..dig..retreat back to cell...then dig more the next time..etc.. For how long?

What if she did pick them up and drop them some where. It's a hours drive from her house to the prison, then to where she dropped them and back home.

Problem with this is if her husband knows nothing how does she explain where she's been in the wee hours of the morning.

I wonder if LE took their vehicles to test for evidence of the convicts being inside.

I don't believe there was rain the night and first day that they would have come out of the man hole...if someone knows for sure please post. Thanks

I have not been following case very closely, but wondering what is known re: how long it took them to build escape tunnel? Did they dig..dig..retreat back to cell...then dig more the next time..etc.. For how long?

In a nutshell, anywhere from a couple of days to a month. No digging mainly cutting. Read threads from the beginning there are many links to interesting information.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/13/us-usa-new-york-prisoners-idUSKBN0OS1ER20150613

"Authorities do not have any evidence showing the escapees have left the area, Guess said, or whether they were still together or had separated.

Chilly, rainy weather that made the search difficult would also have affected the escapees, Guess said.

"If they have not escaped the area or they have not availed themselves of shelter, you've got to assume they're cold, wet, tired and hungry," Guess said.

"That makes these individuals even more dangerous and desperate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member