NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard footprint in mud, believed to be Sweat's. Guess they would know, since they now know what shoes Matt was wearing....but the print could be from whoever checked on the cabin. Hope it's a sneaker print. JMO

this morning as I click around reading articles, watching some videos, I see one article that says that correction officers' cabin is 1 1/2 miles down an obscure road and then 40 min. hike ONLY ACCESSIBLE BY HIKING THROUGH DENSE WOODS WITH A BACKPACK. Ok, so ahhh, how'd they get those bunk bed mattresses and the sofa in??? So then I see a video of a reporter just outside the cabin, then putz'ing in the cupboards inside: clearly there's a dirt road there, and even a big truck could get to the cabin....

Oh, and then there's owner 1.) peeks in window & sees a person, or 2.) owner smells grape gin, or 3.) owner sees cut screen & smashed window, or 4.) owner enters, sees h20 out, then hears one person run away, or 5.) owner ... is certain there are two people..... on and on.

Sorry if I made a mistake, but, I got that info' from one of those recreation of the crime shows.....

Those are two different cabins you're talking about in two different towns.

In Owl's Head, NY one of the several leasers , a corrections officer, approached and saw someone run out the back. He went in and saw peanut butter and water on the table. That cabin is 3 miles from a paved road. Much of the Adirondack Park does not allow motorized vehicles, some allow ATVs but not cars, etc etc.

In Malone, NY one of the two cabins where Matt's DNA was found is the one where a different CO owner went in, found grape gin on the table, and called LE. The screen was found to be cut as well. This cabin is not away from roadways.

This is probably a stupid question, but, is the reason that we can't discuss the basement because it isn't verified? And...what's to keep the bad guys from just going down to the basement and following along there?

The only thing stopping them is that the basement is members only and you must be logged in to view the threads there, so your IP address is logged and tracked down there. So I invite Sweat to come check it out. JMO

Bob Willett, who lives off Route 30 in Malone, has been checking his camp regularly since two men escaped from a North Country state prison.

Friday while checking the camp, about 200 feet behind his home, Willett said he noticed a bottle of grape gin was opened on the counter and some had spilled. Nothing else was disturbed, he said.

He said he called police around 1:30 p.m. Officials said he was one of a number of people who contacted authorities from that area around that time.

Willett said he later heard gunshots coming from down the road.

"The troopers went into the woods and then I heard a lot more shots and I'm assuming that's when they killed Matt," Willett said.

Police later, in the same vicinity, found another cabin where escaped convict Richard Matt presumably had been immediately prior to being shot by authorities.

"I'm a correction officer, so I wanted to see the guys get caught," said Willett, who works at a prison in Malone.

~snipped

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Manhunt-story-Camp-owner-called-cops-when-6352693.php

Apologies if already posted:

A trail camera outside of nearby Whippleville took a photo of the two men this week, law-enforcement sources tell The Daily Beast. Authorities had asked hunters to deploy the cameras now instead of waiting until August, when they are normally placed ahead of deer-hunting season, which begins on October 1. The camera photographed both men and showed Matt holding a shotgun. Trail cameras are silent and it’s believed that the two men did not know they had been seen. Photographic evidence, including a time-stamp, helped authorities refine their search.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/26/escaped-murderer-richard-matt-shot-by-police.html

BBM. Critical info. Puts to bed my theory that they may have gotten separated when startled at the first cabin.

Now...the cabin LE entered after the guy's camper was shot. Smell of gunsmoke IN the cabin -- why??? If Matt went outside and shot at the camper and then came back in, would that make the cabin smell like gunsmoke? Or...did he discharge the firearm INSIDE the cabin? Like...at Sweat...missed, and Sweat ran off. So, maybe when LE came along, Matt was out in the bushes looking for Sweat?

BBM. Critical info. Puts to bed my theory that they may have gotten separated when startled at the first cabin.

Now...the cabin LE entered after the guy's camper was shot. Smell of gunsmoke IN the cabin -- why??? If Matt went outside and shot at the camper and then came back in, would that make the cabin smell like gunsmoke? Or...did he discharge the firearm INSIDE the cabin? Like...at Sweat...missed, and Sweat ran off. So, maybe when LE came along, Matt was out in the bushes looking for Sweat?

IMO he shot the camper from the window as the camper went by, or was right out front and retreated into the cabin again while his gun still smoking, but that's JMO.

I also saw clarification that only Matt was identified on that trail camera. I'm not sure I"ve seen anything that definitively states that TWO people were seen on it, and LE stated in the news conference last night that the last time they know for SURE they saw Sweat was before he broke out. They DID however get his DNA at that first cabin. Not at all since.

JMO

Interestingly, my family had been considering driving up to the Adirondacks today for the past several weeks. We go the "back way" through Binghamton up route 11 to route 28. If someone was in a vehicle coming TO Binghamton from the Adirondacks I"d expect them to come that same route. Would be cool to head up and see Sweat heading down. But because of the weather being chilly (well in the 70s, not 80s) I can't justify a trip to the water park right now.

Not that it matters to this case necessarily but NY state's largest water park is up there in the Adirondacks and today is the first day of their full summer hours. I suggested to my husband we go up anyway to avoid crowds due to this manhunt, but it isn't warm enough. If it gets nice enough any day soon though rest assured we're heading up and I'll film while we're at it. It's beautiful up there. The trees are so tall you think dinosaurs walked past them.

JMO FWIW etc

CNN is still showing Sweat as 34 years old. Nope he's 35. Not that it really matters I guess. But then again, isn't accuracy always important in police work AND media reporting? :scared:

"The guests filling hotels and keeping restaurants, convenience stores and gas stations busy are not tourists; they are the hundreds of searchers, reporters and photographers who have flocked to the area during the three-week search for escaped killers Richard Matt and David Sweat.

“With so many law enforcement and media people in the area, hotels and motels are completely full,” said Susan Matton, vice president of economic development for the North Country Chamber of Commerce in Plattsburgh. “Restaurants are busy, and local convenience stores and gas stations are hopping.”"

<snip>

"Local businesses and restaurants have stepped up to help feed and house the searchers, who traveled from other parts of the state.

Immediately after the escape, a gym owner in Dannemora got clearance to set up cots and temporarily house searchers, said Kristy Kennedy, vice president for marketing of the North Country Chamber.

As days went by, SUNY Plattsburgh made dormitory space available and a privately owned student housing complex provided rooms for some law enforcement officers, she said.

“As horrible as the story is, you have seen the community come out as well, which is really interesting,” Kennedy said. “They are making sure that if somebody needs a place to sleep, we are accommodating that, or a place to charge a cellphone so they can reach out to their family members. You’ve heard a lot of those stories too.”

“These are alternative options that are being used, not just our hotels and motels,” she said.

Plattsburgh has eight hotel chains, most offering 90 to 100 rooms."

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...-accommodate-searchers-and-the-media-20150627

"Cuomo and D'Amico said they believed that Sweat, 35, was near Matt at the time of the shooting, and hundreds of officers swarmed the area immediately, releasing dogs and setting up search lights in preparation for a long night."

<snip>

" "Hopefully, today it's over with," said Malone resident Matt Maguire, who said he and his fiancée have been staying with family since Monday when they heard the escapees might be in their area.

"We're the only cabin in the woods without a gun," Maguire added."

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Hunt-for-escapee-David-Sweat-resumes-as-dawn-6353042.php

How are the dogs not tracking him instantly then?

Cartoon from EmpireWire:

CIgbu8YUwAAkioz.jpg

Where are the reporters? Eating pancakes somewhere?

Where are the reporters? Eating pancakes somewhere?

Good question. Nobody seems to care about Sweat now that Matt is dead. Googling "David Sweat" and clicking for all news stories in the past hour nets less results than any other time in the past 22 days.

Every time I check Keshias twitter she is either repeating rumors or talking about lunch.....JMO

"Malone resident Brian Smith watched the media and the governor's news conference from a parking lot across State Route 11. He said the situation was unlike anything he had witnessed before.

"Never in my lifetime I have seen anything like this," said Smith, who added he felt safer with so many police officers were in town. "There's still one on the loose yet, so hopefully we get him soon. It's always in the back of your mind, so you're always looking around, just in case."

Soon after the news conference ended, the sun set on this northern Adirondack town"

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/crim...-unlike-anything-as-manhunt-unfolds/29384405/

(ETA - there are literally only like 8 stories about Sweat from the past hour and this is an example of the kind of info that's within them. Really surprised at the lack of interest that media is showing this morning. JMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee