GUILTY NY - Shanta Myers, 36, Brandi Mells, 22, & 2 kids slain, Troy, 26 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is possible the knife was used to control, but harder for me to imagine if there was just a single perp.

The 'fact' that the victims were tied with their hands behind their backs certainly suggests someone strongly in control. The perp also likely delighted in having the restrained victims witnessing the deaths of the others before their turn came...probably children first, then the lover, and finally the mother.
~jmo~
I wonder if the perpetrator held a knife to the throat of a child and forced one of the adults to tie/tape/restrain the others...it's hard to know how one person could pull it off without screams/shouts but I can imagine a child under threat could make a parent very compliant :(

I wonder if the perpetrator held a knife to the throat of a child and forced one of the adults to tie/tape/restrain the others...it's hard to know how one person could pull it off without screams/shouts but I can imagine a child under threat could make a parent very compliant :(

Yes, absolutely...thank you for this!

~jmo~

“Tedesco said that officials aren't currently releasing details on any suspects, the two women, 36 and 22, and two children, an 11-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl.

'There are indications at the crime scene that this was not a random act,' Tedesco told reporters at a news conference Wednesday.

'We are certainly appealing to people in the community that would have any knowledge as to what may have transpired there to contact us as soon as possible.'

He said that additional family members are still being contacted, which is why names haven't been released.

The family were found dead inside the basement apartment in the Lansingburgh section of Troy at about 12.50pm on Tuesday - but police haven't given clear details as to how they were killed, or why.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-2-kids-throats-slashed.html#ixzz52XAqgDTk

What kind of evil monster commits a crime like this. They need to be apprehended ASAP.

I am having second thoughts about the older son. There has to be something really personal about tying a five year old's hands behind her.

The birth mother was 36. It's plausible that her oldest child is over 18 years old.

The NY Post article says that "A local pastor told the Times Union that an older son, who is related to the two children..." Having the same mother would make them related. Therefore, one can't overlook the possibility that she had a different partner when her oldest child was born than when the younger kids were born. For all we know, the oldest child was not there because he was with that parent. With so little info, it's also possible that the oldest child lives with their other parent.

The Times Union article states "Police said they don’t believe there were any other people living in the apartment other than the victims."

The reason that no one heard anything could be as simple as the other tenants were visiting family on Christmas day and they were the only folks in the building when the crime occurred.

NY Post: https://nypost.com/2017/12/27/victims-of-brutal-quadruple-murder-were-bound-had-throats-slit/

Times Union: http://m.timesunion.com/news/article/Cops-search-for-clues-homicide-scene-in-Troy-12456933.php

Following this. how horrible. Im also leaning towards ex partner.
How did no one hear anything and how did they get 4 people tied up and murdered without anyone hearing anything in a 5 unit house.
So many unanswered questions to find out.

I don't know why but when I first read of this story it reminded me of four other victims who were murdered either on New Years Eve or New Years Day ...years ago.

It involved two adults (parents) and their two small children. They were all tied up and iirc the females were also raped even the small child. For quite awhile the police said they believed the family was targeted implying it was someone they knew well.There was no forced entry into the home. It turned out to be a home invasion and the perps were strangers to the family.

I have forgotten the names of the family but they were well known in the area and well liked. Iirc there were at least two or three suspects involved, but I cant remember if they were all men or if one woman was involved too. It was learned later they had done other home invasions elsewhere and had a long rap sheet. Perhaps someone else remembers the case I am referring to?

Just because this poor family was brutalized doesn't mean it was done by someone they knew. We have read about the most awful overkill cases like this with unbelievable cruelty being inflicted against innocent murder victims including small children which have been done by those who did not even know the victims.

I never pay any mind to LE anymore when they say they 'believe' the family was targeted as if it wasn't done by anyone they didn't know. I have seen them turnout to be so wrong many times before when other LE espoused the same thing before they even knew who the murderer/s happened to be.

Now they may have been specifically targeted because it was Christmas and the suspects went there to rob them of their gifts but it still could have been carried out by stranger/s or even someone in their neighborhood. Nowadays, criminals like this will kill everyone in the home and never blink an eye, including children, so they leave no witnesses behind. They only value their own lives and no one else's.

JMO

"The circumstances surrounding the murders of an upstate mother, her two children and her domestic partner are eerily similar to another quadruple homicide that happened in 2014 — less than ten miles away from their home....

Like the case in Troy, cops discovered four bodies that October — two children and their parents — inside a residence on Western Ave. They were later identified as Jin Feng Chen, 39, his wife, Hai Yan Li, 38, and their two sons, Anthony, 10 and Eddy, 7.....

The Chinese family had been butchered alive [in 2014] — stabbed repeatedly and bludgeoned with weapons similar to hammers and knives, according to investigators....

Despite hundreds of leads, authorities were never able to pin down a definite motive or suspect in the quadruple homicide case — though some believe the killings stemmed from Chen’s alleged involvement in an illegal money transfer scheme and gambling operation."

Quotes from: https://nypost.com/2017/12/28/quadruple-homicide-in-upstate-ny-eerily-similar-to-2014-murders/

My initial reaction is the similarities are a horrible coincidence as this 2017 murder does seem very personal and the slitting of throats is different than the older case, but the similarities are something to keep in mind.

jmo

I don't know why but when I first read of this story it reminded me of four other victims who were murdered either on New Years Eve or New Years Day ...years ago.

It involved two adults (parents) and their two small children. They were all tied up and iirc the females were also raped even the small child. For quite awhile the police said they believed the family was targeted implying it was someone they knew well.There was no forced entry into the home. It turned out to be a home invasion and the perps were strangers to the family.

I have forgotten the names of the family but they were well known in the area and well liked. Iirc there were at least two or three suspects involved, but I cant remember if they were all men or if one woman was involved too. It was learned later they had done other home invasions elsewhere and had a long rap sheet. Perhaps someone else remembers the case I am referring to?

Just because this poor family was brutalized doesn't mean it was done by someone they knew. We have read about the most awful overkill cases like this with unbelievable cruelty being inflicted against innocent murder victims including small children which have been done by those who did not even know the victims.

I never pay any mind to LE anymore when they say they 'believe' the family was targeted as if it wasn't done by anyone they didn't know. I have seen them turnout to be so wrong many times before when other LE espoused the same thing before they even knew who the murderer/s happened to be.

Now they may have been specifically targeted because it was Christmas and the suspects went there to rob them of their gifts but it still could have been carried out by stranger/s or even someone in their neighborhood. Nowadays, criminals like this will kill everyone in the home and never blink an eye, including children, so they leave no witnesses behind. They only value their own lives and no one else's.

JMO

Hey OBE....I totally agree with everything you said.....your insight is always appreciated and invaluable.

I think the case u are referring to above is the Harvey family murders in Virginia, another horrific case that chilled me to the bone. I remember how unusual home invasions/family murders were at the time. Now, sadly, they have become a common occurrence.

Here is the thread on the Harvey family if anyone would like to read up on it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...in-Richmond-1-Jan-2006&highlight=Bryan+Harvey

"The circumstances surrounding the murders of an upstate mother, her two children and her domestic partner are eerily similar to another quadruple homicide that happened in 2014 — less than ten miles away from their home....

Like the case in Troy, cops discovered four bodies that October — two children and their parents — inside a residence on Western Ave. They were later identified as Jin Feng Chen, 39, his wife, Hai Yan Li, 38, and their two sons, Anthony, 10 and Eddy, 7.....

The Chinese family had been butchered alive [in 2014] — stabbed repeatedly and bludgeoned with weapons similar to hammers and knives, according to investigators....

Despite hundreds of leads, authorities were never able to pin down a definite motive or suspect in the quadruple homicide case — though some believe the killings stemmed from Chen’s alleged involvement in an illegal money transfer scheme and gambling operation."

Quotes from: https://nypost.com/2017/12/28/quadruple-homicide-in-upstate-ny-eerily-similar-to-2014-murders/

My initial reaction is the similarities are a horrible coincidence as this 2017 murder does seem very personal and the slitting of throats is different than the older case, but the similarities are something to keep in mind.

jmo

My hunch is that this 2017 quadruple murder is not related to the nearby 2014 quadruple murder, but just in case there is a connection, I looked for info. I'm not seeing a thread on WS about the murders of Jin Chen, his wife, and their two children. But, here is an article about the case, which remains unsolved:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/art...ians-return-to-seen-of-4-killings-5813957.php

(Again, the link is about the 2014 murder, not the murder in this thread. I'm sharing it because it's been referenced in the news today.)

jmo

My hunch is that this 2017 quadruple murder is not related to the nearby 2014 quadruple murder, but just in case there is a connection, I looked for info. I'm not seeing a thread on WS about the murders of Jin Chen, his wife, and their two children. But, here is an article about the case, which remains unsolved:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/art...ians-return-to-seen-of-4-killings-5813957.php

(Again, the link is about the 2014 murder, not the murder in this thread. I'm sharing it because it's been referenced in the news today.)

jmo

I don't think they're related at all. I think whoever did this unspeakable act was either the ex of one of the adults, or possibly the older son of the 36 yr old. Sadly, we've all seen both scenarios play out in many previous cases here.

I don't think they're related at all. I think whoever did this unspeakable act was either the ex of one of the adults, or possibly the older son of the 36 yr old. Sadly, we've all seen both scenarios play out in many previous cases here.

I agree on all counts.

jmo

jmo

Thread for Chen family (2014 victims)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...uilderland-8-Oct-2014&p=12170950#post12170950

This is such a tragedy. Being tied up seems off for a family member doing this unless they wanted it to look like a burglary gone bad. Researching other family cases. Do any of you know of cases where entire family were tied up together brutally murdered by a family member/ ex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is such a tragedy. Being tied up seems off for a family member doing this unless they wanted it to look like a burglary gone bad. Researching other family cases. Do any of you know of cases where entire family were tied up together brutally murdered by a family member/ ex?

I cant think of one where another family member would tie up their other family members first before killing them. Killing them yes but tying them up first and then killing them I cant think of one. There may be a case out there but I cant think of one right now.

I agree with you that the tying up is the strange part of this case since they went ahead and killed them all anyway. Wonder what that was all about? Why tie them up first?

Maybe it was simply because they wanted to be sure they had them all under control first before they started to systematically kill each one.
Because if its just one perp and they started to kill them right away then the others would run and panic and probably get away. So maybe they at first gave them assurances that none of them would be harmed if they cooperated and then proceeded to tie up each one. Then after all fully secured they followed through with their plan all along which was to murder them.

If it is personal and not a random person then the person would have had to have resentment against the children as well as the adults.

LE said the oler 18 year old son was not home at the time of the murders, so i don't think he was there killing them.
This case does seem close and very personal to me. I suspect a spurned lover of one of the women. jmo

I agree, although I don't think it would be the ex of the younger adult. Seems to me that he/she would not have the motive to kill the children. Would make a lot more sense that this would be the work of the ex of the 36 year old mother, possibly the father of the children. If so, I wouldn't doubt that he has taken his own life by now as well.

LE said the oler 18 year old son was not home at the time of the murders, so i don't think he was there killing them.
This case does seem close and very personal to me. I suspect a spurned lover of one of the women. jmo

I'm hoping the older son is not involved, but I got the impression that the statement of him not being in the apartment implied that he was not among the killed. I don't think we know anything beyond that yet.

jmo

I don’t think it was random... however doesn’t IMO a family member. Could there have been more than one person involved? It was an apartment. No one heard anything? If not a scorned lover ( which I don’t think) then revenge or payment .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back