NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about why certain rumors about Sylvia's engagement and the ring's whereabouts are surfacing around the web. Was it a piece of the story or the argument that was known by some mutual friends of theirs, but not her family or best friend? And, is that why there is such silence from those who knew her at Wagner, sorority, band, etc.?

Why wouldn't this piece have been reported to LE as a tip? Is it because LE knew? Or, is it not relevant without knowing whether or not she is alive?

I've been thinking about why certain rumors about Sylvia's engagement and the ring's whereabouts are surfacing around the web. Was it a piece of the story or the argument that was known by some mutual friends of theirs, but not her family or best friend? And, is that why there is such silence from those who knew her at Wagner, sorority, band, etc.?

Why wouldn't this piece have been reported to LE as a tip? Is it because LE knew? Or, is it not relevant without knowing whether or not she is alive?

In my opinion, it's both-none of it matters if her status is unknown, although the business with the ring might cause some concern, unless LE spoke to BF/F in 1975, and he told them about getting the ring back after a breakup with her.

Rose-what rumors are you talking about that are surfacing? Just the stuff we have discussed, or is there something else?

Rose-what rumors are you talking about that are surfacing? Just the stuff we have discussed, or is there something else?

Someone else out there in the web-o-sphere talks about the ring. It is hearsay. So, it made me wonder how many people have heard about it. And what does it mean? And who didn't know, and why?

I know it could mean several things but where does it fit? -And is it a part of the radio silence and if so, why?
-Would the keeper of the ring be someone that cavalier as to talk about it afterwards?

Someone else out there in the web-o-sphere talks about the ring. It is hearsay. So, it made me wonder how many people have heard about it. And what does it mean? And who didn't know, and why?

I know it could mean several things but where does it fit? -And is it a part of the radio silence and if so, why?
-Would the keeper of the ring be someone that cavalier as to talk about it afterwards?

He might say to one of his friends that he got the ring back if she broke up with him (and he had nothing to do with her disappearance), and he might say he got the ring back, even if he didn't get it back, so he wouldn't appear to be a loser. I don't know if he would say it if he harmed her, though, but maybe he wouldn't have thought his friend would repeat it. It's hard to say-maybe saying they broke up and he got the ring back wouldn't necessarily make him look guilty-maybe it would make her appear to be irrational. I wish we knew if he mentioned it to the police.

Not much to talk about...I still can't find a link as to what time the buses stopped running on a Saturday night, I think I read a reference to 10 pm though. I'm also looking to see if and what kind of construction was being done in that area at that time. Now, it appears there are at least 15 to 20 stop lights on Richmond avenue. In 1975 I'm not sure how many there would have been. Also trying to find out if it was a two lane or four lane road. If anything, for me anyway, I find reading anything from that time period interesting.

Just some trivia: I like to stop at little antique shops, I bought a travel guide from 1977, the title is "Burger King Travel Guide" it listed all the Burger Kings in every state at that time. There was one on Willowbrook Rd., two on Richmond Avenue, and two on Hyland Blvd. There is even a page with CB terminology, pretty cool.

Not much to talk about...I still can't find a link as to what time the buses stopped running on a Saturday night, I think I read a reference to 10 pm though. I'm also looking to see if and what kind of construction was being done in that area at that time. Now, it appears there are at least 15 to 20 stop lights on Richmond avenue. In 1975 I'm not sure how many there would have been. Also trying to find out if it was a two lane or four lane road. If anything, for me anyway, I find reading anything from that time period interesting.

For what it's worth, in response to my question about that stretch of Richmond Ave being really busy, the detective I spoke to said it wasn't nearly as congested in 1975.

# 103 Bus

Skeet-
I remember you mentioning the Staten Island History Facebook site. You may have seen this already-there are comments about the #103 bus including catching a 1:05 a.m., bus and if you missed that one, the next one didn't come until 4:30 a.m... It seems the 103 bus loop included Richmond Ave to Hylan which is close to SL’s house. Someone else mentions the picture of the bus looks like the “turnaround at Hylan and, Richmond”. Don’t know if it helps with the bus schedule, or fits into the 1975 time-frame (though maybe not far from it), but I too enjoy this website with all the period pictures and memories, and memories of the #103 bus!

https://www.facebook.com/StatenIslandHistory

Thank you, I must have missed the comment, it's very interesting to read comments from the people who grew up there...thanks again. There is also Staten Island Memories (70's and 80's).

It irritates me that NYPD and NYSP refuse to add Sylvia to their list of missing persons. It may not be much, but there IS a missing person file on her, so regardless of whether or not she was murdered, she is definitely missing! Why won't they put her on their lists? Sorry for the rant...

It irritates me that NYPD and NYSP refuse to add Sylvia to their list of missing persons. It may not be much, but there IS a missing person file on her, so regardless of whether or not she was murdered, she is definitely missing! Why won't they put her on their lists? Sorry for the rant...

That makes no sense to me -- wtf?! They can't investigate her as homicide, bc there's no body or sign of foul play ... which suggests she must be seen as missing. But now they say they can't investigate her as missing bc -- why exactly?! What is she if not missing?!

Could this go back to LE's early refusal to list her as missing bc she was an adult? Did they classify her in a way in 1975 (adult, left voluntarily) that no one is willing to change, 40 years later, to missing? IOW, is that techically NOT a "missing persons file" on her but just a police incident report? Talk about a rock and a hard place! This woman can't get a freaking ounce of attention!

:banghead:

Unless they know something we don't ... I mean, the only really good reason I could see for not listing her as missing would be that they were aware she's out there somewhere. If they knew that, that might not be able to say so, but they certainly wouldn't list her as missing. Not saying I believe this ... just can't think of any other reason for such blockheadedness!

That makes no sense to me -- wtf?! They can't investigate her as homicide, bc there's no body or sign of foul play ... which suggests she must be seen as missing. But now they say they can't investigate her as missing bc -- why exactly?! What is she if not missing?!

Could this go back to LE's early refusal to list her as missing bc she was an adult? Did they classify her in a way in 1975 (adult, left voluntarily) that no one is willing to change, 40 years later, to missing? IOW, is that techically NOT a "missing persons file" on her but just a police incident report? Talk about a rock and a hard place! This woman can't get a freaking ounce of attention!

:banghead:

Unless they know something we don't ... I mean, the only really good reason I could see for not listing her as missing would be that they were aware she's out there somewhere. If they knew that, that might not be able to say so, but they certainly wouldn't list her as missing. Not saying I believe this ... just can't think of any other reason for such blockheadedness!

BBM-I don't have any evidence, but somehow, I don't think LE have this awareness that she is alive. Their reluctance to proceed may have something to do with her parents' wish for no publicity, but her parents are dead, and her brother is now her only next of kin. I wonder why they won't consider his wish for some action now-I'm sure LE knows what Sylvia's brother wants them to do. This is ridiculous!

BBM-I don't have any evidence, but somehow, I don't think LE have this awareness that she is alive. Their reluctance to proceed may have something to do with her parents' wish for no publicity, but her parents are dead, and her brother is now her only next of kin. I wonder why they won't consider his wish for some action now-I'm sure LE knows what Sylvia's brother wants them to do. This is ridiculous!

If she truly is missing, it's TOTALLY ridiculous! And frustrating.

Re the evidence -- we have evidence of exactly jack ;)

What would really burn me up is finding out SL is alive and (for whatever reason) doesn't want her brother to know where she is, and that he knows that but used us to find where she is. I'm not saying this is the case -- but it is certainly a possibility we haven't explored. We are in a vulnerable position doing someone's bidding in a case where we don't know what's going on.

What would really burn me up is finding out SL is alive and (for whatever reason) doesn't want her brother to know where she is, and that he knows that but used us to find where she is. I'm not saying this is the case -- but it is certainly a possibility we haven't explored. We are in a vulnerable position doing someone's bidding in a case where we don't know what's going on.

I have considered this possibility, too-but after speaking to him, I think this is not the case. I could be wrong, though, as I have nothing but intuition on which to base this notion. It would burn me up to find this out, after all of the hoops we've all jumped through. This possibilty will persist if nothing else ever surfaces.

My first thoughts were administrative management as to why certain cases are missing from certain websites. When Namus was created, wasn’t it also intended to lessen the time spent on duplicate entries in databases on state and local levels?

1. The criteria on the NYSP site below suggest an indication of “missing with strong possibility of foul play”. -But it begs the question in Sylvia’s case– How do they know that? What is their definition of "strong possibility"? For some reason, her case is not listed as classified as endangered. -Because there is not enough evidence? -Or, something else?

NYSP - Wanted/Missing
The Bureau of Criminal Investigation categorizes cases under investigation as:

• Wanted: all individuals wanted on warrants for criminal charges.
• Missing Persons: where the circumstances indicate a strong possibility of foul play and the victim is still missing.
• Homicides: all homicides and attempts solved or unsolved.
• Unidentified: where the manner of death is known or suspected to be a homicide.
• Unsolved: all ongoing criminal investigations that do not fit into any of the above categories.
http://troopers.ny.gov/Wanted_and_Missing/

2. -Not sure about the NYPD as there are 20 MPs from Staten Island listed on NamUs but only 2 listed on the NYPD. However, they are both missing after the year 2000 (’04 & ’05). The circumstances are not qualified. Still there are definitely those missing before 2000, and there must be missing people after 2005...

I have considered this possibility, too-but after speaking to him, I think this is not the case. I could be wrong, though, as I have nothing but intuition on which to base this notion. It would burn me up to find this out, after all of the hoops we've all jumped through. This possibilty will persist if nothing else ever surfaces.

Bbms: I have worried that we are spreading untruths. Imo: Try as we might, no supporting evidence has confirmed SL is anything other than missing. I see the timing of the cases 1975 & 2010 as problematic. What changed after 35 years? And do we have the full story?

Were we just the megaphone for shining a light on the BF/F? -I have wondered if the answers from LE are unacceptable to some, and this forum and the internet publicity is a bit like the 'wild west response' to an ongoing frustration with LE.

If Sylvia is suspected to be alive - I have to wonder why the crime radio interview, and WS (10,000 posts), and SI advance article? Are they shining a light because they think the BF/F knows where she is? That's why he has the ring? -Kept her glasses? -And the big radio silence?

-Seems only after certain information was disclosed - all who knew her went quiet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member