SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm baffled:

<modsnip - not victim friendly>
double suicide?
murder-suicide?
murder, period?
folie à deux ?

Any I'm missing?

What says Occam?

What say you?
Double suicide. I will be shocked if it's another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it's out of the realm of possibility that their death was a murder because they didn't want to go back to SA and were seeking asylum?
Yes. <modsnip - not victim friendly>. Mohammed bin Salman wouldn't be interested. They weren't Khashoggi.

But causing a drowning to happen does.

So - due diligence. Otherwise? Could become a political football.

I understand what you mean. I don't want to think this is murder.

There was a case in Canada that comes to mind immediately for me, the Shafia family. It was murder staged as an accident.

Long read about the Shafia case: Inside the Shafia killings that shocked a nation

Yes. <modsnip - not victim friendly>. Mohammed bin Salman wouldn't be interested. They weren't Khashoggi.

You clearly know much more about SA than I do, so I will defer to you :).

Because it would have been simple to achieve.

But they didn't take the simplest way: each jumping off the GWB. The articles posted in this thread all say there was no sign of trauma on the bodies and they have not appeared on any of the many, many surveillance cameras on the GWB.

So they didn't simply jump or drown. They carefully taped their feet together. And then taped their bodies together around the waist with duct tape. And then pushed themselves off a pier or an accessible bank in the Hudson river to suffer and drown taped together to look at each other as they died.

That's not that simple.

You clearly know much more about SA than I do, so I will defer to you :).

I don't think the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia had to order their killing for this to be something other than suicide. It could be a family issue, an honor issue, an embarrassment to the state (seeking asylum).

I don't think there's any reason to write this off because they were ordinary Saudi women. Ordinary Saudi women are stoned to death for adultery. Woman faces being stoned to death for adultery - while man to receive 100 lashes

I don't think the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia had to order their killing for this to be something other than suicide. It could be a family issue, an honor issue, an embarrassment to the state (seeking asylum).

I don't think there's any reason to write this off because they were ordinary Saudi women. Ordinary Saudi women are stoned to death for adultery. Woman faces being stoned to death for adultery - while man to receive 100 lashes

Agree :). I'm still sticking with murder.

The fact these sisters are saudi nationals who were living in the US, made me have to look up something that's been in the news lately, the name Jamal Khashoggi. Apparently he was also from Jeddah,

They might have a very distant, but harmless connection:

Jeddah is located on the coast and by Saudi standards, is a liberal city. The city has a reputation for being a destination of Saudis who want to escape the even more conservative interior for a variety of reasons.

As the sisters were evidently having trouble at home, they may well have moved to Jeddah before coming to the U.S. The name Jamal Kashoggi escapes me, but if he was a reporter for a western newspaper, my guess is that he may of also been on the progressive side of Saudi life.

I think it’s because my brain is hazy from being sick, but this article was kind of confusing to me.

Update: Saudi sisters living in Fairfax found dead, duct taped together in the Hudson River
It is very confusing. I read it three or four times before I realized the 20-year-old woman isn’t even related to Tala or Ratana.

The only connection between the three women is that Ratana (along with “multiple people” and likely Tala) used to live in the apartment that the 20-year-old and her family moved into after Ratana, et al. moved out in August.

Or ... maybe this wasn’t even what you were talking about ...!?

It is very confusing. I read it three or four times before I realized the 20-year-old woman isn’t even related to Tala or Ratana.

The only connection between the three women is that Ratana (along with “multiple people” and likely Tala) used to live in the apartment that the 20-year-old and her family moved into after Ratana, et al. moved out in August.

Or ... maybe this wasn’t even what you were talking about ...!?

That was the first thing that confused me and then it just snowballed lol. I think the details in the article could be very informative..... if presented in a more coherent and organized way though.

Sorry. I keep typing my thoughts this case and then I read a new article and change my mind about what I wrote. I don't know what happened here but it scares me. I hope LE finds out what really happened.

RIP Tala and Rotana :(

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska