SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sad story. The women look like they may be related in the sketches IMO. The article says that they were bound at the waist and feet which makes it more feasible they may have applied the tape themselves, although I'm not totally convinced.

A police source tells Eyewitness News the bodies were bound together with duct tape, with tape around their waists and feet, facing each other.

Sketches show women whose duct taped bodies washed up

If their feet and waists were duct taped together, how did they jump off a bridge - head first?

This is really sad. I’m not sold on suicide but I actually do think it isnt out of the realm of possibility. I too thought they vaguely looked related based on the sketches and of course I also had the passing thought when I first read about this that it could be two young women in love who were persecuted and chose to end it together. Of course foul play is a real possibility here. Duct taped together facing one another- if this is double suicide, that act of being “cheek to cheek” literally is devestating. To me, it would show familial, friendship, or romantic connection that is profound.

This is really sad. I’m not sold on suicide but I actually do think it isnt out of the realm of possibility. I too thought they vaguely looked related based on the sketches and of course I also had the passing thought when I first read about this that it could be two young women in love who were persecuted and chose to end it together. Of course foul play is a real possibility here. Duct taped together facing one another- if this is double suicide, that act of being “cheek to cheek” literally is devestating. To me, it would show familial, friendship, or romantic connection that is profound.

Or a scorned lover who was enraged that his wife/gf had a female lover. Or a homophobic psychopath targeted them because they were a couple.

If this was a jump off the GW, there are cameras everywhere on the bridge. They will have been seen via a camera. It would be hard to throw someone over the bridge at this point in time b/c surveillance is so heavy. It is not easy to get from a traffic lane onto the walkways because of the high railings, especially with two women, then duct taping them, and then trying to force them over the waist high railing and off of the bridge. There is a police surveillance and a booth, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I can understand the winter coats, whether suicide or murder. The coats would soak up water & weigh them down, making it even harder to escape or change their minds.
What an odd & sad case.
In the WNYC article I posted they discussed that the impact is most definitely lethal. Also, the officer noted that the water currents and swirls would be non-survivable. I do wonder if the heavy coats were a way to say it might not hurt as much. Hard to get into the minds of these young women. I do wonder if they were undocumented. You would think someone is missing them and it would not be so hard to get their identities.

How often do people actually commit suicide together??
Using data on 232,711 Japanese citizens who committed suicide between 1983 and 1992, a study investigated the rate of double suicide.

The number of males who committed double suicide during the reporting period was 2,418, representing a double suicide rate of 1.6 percent; the figures for females were 2,376 and 2.9 percent, respectively. The double suicide rates were higher for younger age groups, for married people, and for entrepreneurs and regular employees (compared to managers and unemployed persons). Double suicides were most often attributed to problems related to family, finances, or love affairs. The most popular method of committing double suicide was carbon monoxide poisoning, used in 25 percent of all cases.

NCJRS Abstract - National Criminal Justice Reference Service

Seems odd to me that if they were killing themselves that they would choose to wear heavy clothing, like coats.

It has been super cold here in NYC the last couple of days and everyone including me is dressed in coats or jackets.
Who knows where they came from and how long they had been outside pondering throwing themselves off the bridge (that is in fact if this is what happened) . With that in mind. I think the Last thing on their mind was to take their jackets off .. I think they had bigger things occupying their minds at that point.

Last edited:
one of the initial articles stated both girls had no visible signs of trauma on them.. hold on.. let me see if I can find the article.. Its actually the first article posted by Kid Dropsy: Bodies of two women that were bound together with duct tape are found in New York's Hudson River

So.. IMO I find it odd that there was no visible signs of trauma whatsoever if they committed suicide off the bridge.. JMO though.. I'd also think they would have been seen by patrol or people passing by..

one of the initial articles stated both girls had no visible signs of trauma on them.. hold on.. let me see if I can find the article.. Its actually the first article posted by Kid Dropsy: Bodies of two women that were bound together with duct tape are found in New York's Hudson River

So.. IMO I find it odd that there was no visible signs of trauma whatsoever if they committed suicide off the bridge.. JMO though.. I'd also think they would have been seen by patrol or people passing by..

I get that too. Like, to what degree can you distinguish between trauma due to a jump and trauma caused by a violent attack? Unless they meant obvious signs of assault, but I assume pros would phrase that more specifically.

I'm just not sure where to stand on this one. I hope the young women are identified soon. I hope somebody out there loves them and will mourn them. The description and sketch certainly sounds like they're related. Maybe escaping an abusive or oppressive home? It's heartbreaking no matter what happened.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back