SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems odd to me that if they were killing themselves that they would choose to wear heavy clothing, like coats.
I think they wore the coats so that the coats would weigh them down in the water to make it more difficult to swim or float. This makes it a bit more likely to be a suicide, IMO. We may never know for sure, unless a note, phone call or other similar evidence is discovered WRT their intent.

Virginia Woolf, the great English author did as much when she committed suicide by walking into the River Ouse -- she had on a heavy winter coat and put stones in the pockets. She was a good swimmer, and her family said she probably wanted to make sure she would indeed drown. And she did. Her body was found several days later.

Here's the park.
Which bridge did they jump from, and how did they get to the bridge?

View attachment 152939
LE is thinking they jumped from the George Washington Bridge, which is a few miles north of where they were found.

The Hudson has very strong currents and a tide. The water flows both ways, so it's difficult to know the rate of flow because it changes due to the ocean tide.

jmo

If their feet and waists were duct taped together, how did they jump off a bridge - head first?
Good question, otto.
I would add that whether it be suicide or foul play, the entrance of their bodies would have to have been at night, in darkness. This area is not deserted, and two people taping themselves together at the scene -- they couldn't have walked down the road or bridge all taped-up -- certainly would have drawn a bit of attention. Someone dumping bodies would also draw attention, but IMO not as much.
How did those women get into the water? I know essentially where, but not how.

I think they wore the coats so that the coats would weigh them down in the water to make it more difficult to swim or float. This makes it a bit more likely to be a suicide, IMO. We may never know for sure, unless a note, phone call or other similar evidence is discovered WRT their intent.

Virginia Woolf, the great English author did as much when she committed suicide by walking into the River Ouse -- she had on a heavy winter coat and put stones in the pockets. She was a good swimmer, and her family said she probably wanted to make sure she would indeed drown. And she did. Her body was found several days later.

Possible. But it’s also been pretty cold here in the late night/early morning hours. All week I’ve worn my winter jacket on the way to work. Imo they were probably wearing jackets bc of the weather.

LE is thinking they jumped from the George Washington Bridge, which is a few miles north of where they were found.

The Hudson has very strong currents and a tide. The water flows both ways, so it's difficult to know the rate of flow because it changes due to the ocean tide.

jmo
Yes, good point - the Hudson is tidal.

Sometimes the flow is north, sometimes it is south. It's a tidal estuary at this point, rather than an actual river. The flow changes with the tides.

fyi

Wow! That makes it an awful lot more interesting to understand where they entered the water. They were found at 2:40PM by chance. When I read "no trauma to the bodies" I'm thinking they are not bloated from floating in the water for days.

Which direction was the water flowing at2:40 this afternoon?

Possible. But it’s also been pretty cold here in the late night/early morning hours. All week I’ve worn my winter jacket on the way to work. Imo they were probably wearing jackets bc of the weather.

Interesting that suicidal people are afraid of the cold.

It sounds like the tide was going out at 2:40PM?

If it most likely happened when it was dark, when was sunrise?

My guess is that the bodies were in the water for 6-8 hours, but what time does the tide turn? That could increase the timeline.

Sorry, so many questions. Very curious about this bizarre suicide.

Last edited:
Interesting that suicidal people are afraid of the cold.

Who said suicidal people are afraid of the cold? Who said these two women were afraid of the cold. They were likely dressed for the weather. If a person was found dead from suicide wearing shorts and a tank top in the summer would we say they are afraid of the heat? Odd statement to me JMO

Who said suicidal people are afraid of the cold? Who said these two women were afraid of the cold. They were likely dressed for the weather. If a person was found dead from suicide wearing shorts and a tank top in the summer would we say they are afraid of the heat? Odd statement to me JMO

I did, actually. I'm surprised that people who are supposedly suicidal want to dress warmly on the way to commit suicide. Just an observation. If they wanted to commit suicide, exposure is probably no worse than being duct-taped and tripping off a bridge.

The girls feet were duct-taped, and they were duct-taped around the waist to each other facing each other.

Were their arms under the duct tape, or free to move?

After watching the news video I noticed they were actually found by 68th street (see video and map attached the (long staircase is 68th st)).
My theory is they went to that really long pier that is not far up north from where they ended up.
They taped their feet and themselves, then hopped over and tipped into the water. Its pretty simple and those piers are pretty desolate at night, especially on a colder weeknight. I know, I was actually at one last night by where I live.. it was super windy.
If police said there was no obvious signs of trauma then that works with the Pier theory as there would not be any signs of trauma since the fall from the end of the pier is not that far from the water. They could of easily gotten hooked on one of the old railroad gantry or wood pilings sticking up from the water which prevented them from floating down the river. So yep its sounds like a suicide.

Now its to find out Who they are!!!

Video: Two women's bodies bound together discovered floating in NY's Hudson River: Police

40.778346, -73.990549

they look Latina to me.

I did, actually. I'm surprised that people who are supposedly suicidal want to dress warmly on the way to commit suicide. Just an observation. If they wanted to commit suicide, exposure is probably no worse than being duct-taped and tripping off a bridge.

In my experience of people who suicide (so far there's been three suicides in my extended family, over a period of many years and including my partner's family) they behave pretty normally right up until they do it. They don't start suddenly acting in a way like dressing in summer clothes in cold weather that would tip you off. They don't want anyone to know because they don't want to be stopped. Just my own observation and experience that also matches what I've read too.

They wore coats because its been super cold the last couple of days.. I have been wearing my coat since sunday, it dips really low at night.
The Bronx Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for NY 10461

omg yay!! finally, thank you bears10!!!!..I said this way back, I don't think anyone read the post.. because people still keep thinking there is some theory on the coats.. No!!o_O.. its just Damn cold! hahaha:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimberlyJane523
Back