SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I may be the only one, but I'm not yet convinced it was a double suicide. That's a horrible way to die on purpose. Two people agreed on this awful path to death? I just don't know. It sounds so cruel. Bad people do cruel things -- this could have been done to them.

In my experience of people who suicide (so far there's been three suicides in my extended family, over a period of many years and including my partner's family) they behave pretty normally right up until they do it. They don't start suddenly acting in a way like dressing in summer clothes in cold weather that would tip you off. They don't want anyone to know because they don't want to be stopped. Just my own observation and experience that also matches what I've read too.
This is true Eloise, about the normal until they do it.. I have a few friends of mine commit suicide and you had NO IDEA it was coming...

I may be the only one, but I'm not yet convinced it was a double suicide. That's a horrible way to die on purpose. Two people agreed on this awful path to death? I just don't know. It sounds so cruel. Bad people do cruel things -- this could have been done to them.

Exactly. There are so many kinder ways to commit suicide than duct taping your feet together, then duct taping yourself face-to-face with someone who looks similar, and then somehow pushing yourselves over the railing of a bridge to hit the water below as though it is concrete. Falling off a pier seems more likely - depending on the tides. Would that mean that they went into the water in the morning rather than before dark?

I'm curious about their arms. If they were under the duct tape, then it's unlikely that they duct taped themselves. If their arms are outside the duct tape, then it's more likely that they did. If they did this to themselves, what an odd thing to do.

I guess they know..
I've been trying to follow this but every media source is saying different things... Some have there clothing wrong, that they are not identified, one is Identified, both are.. I just took what was spoken from a reporter when he stated that one was identified and they were talking to the family to see who the other individual is.. maybe we will find out tomorrow..

Candy and Sandy Nurse??? https://patch.com/new-york/nyack/clarkstown-cold-case-woman-missing-eight-years

Is it me or has she just been added after 30 years after her sister went missing too?
Thumbnail

Missing Person Case

Can't find any info outside of Oct of this month. Everyday its stranger and stranger what we come across. Maybe she found her sister, but both were now in trouble in NYC.. don't know.. time for bed..

Last edited:
I've been trying to follow this but every media source is saying different things... Some have there clothing wrong, that they are not identified, one is Identified, both are.. I just took what was spoken from a reporter when he stated that one was identified and they were talking to the family to see who the other individual is.. maybe we will find out tomorrow..

Omg Shin Masamura, I know what you mean.. yesterday, I read somewhere too that they were identified..but pending on family... so I just assumed it was over and like pretty much every other river case, once they are identified you never hear about it again..

BUT then today I saw they had sketches out.. so who knows.. I think now a days reporters are so quick to jump with the first thing they hear that there is no more thorough research done.. Everyone just wants to be the first to have the news on the internet and everyone just copies it from there.. There is no more real reporting like they used to be.. That is just my feelings..

Sooooo now back to these Ladies.. I guess they still have not been identified..OR maybe they have?o_O

Using data on 232,711 Japanese citizens who committed suicide between 1983 and 1992, a study investigated the rate of double suicide.

The number of males who committed double suicide during the reporting period was 2,418, representing a double suicide rate of 1.6 percent; the figures for females were 2,376 and 2.9 percent, respectively. The double suicide rates were higher for younger age groups, for married people, and for entrepreneurs and regular employees (compared to managers and unemployed persons). Double suicides were most often attributed to problems related to family, finances, or love affairs. The most popular method of committing double suicide was carbon monoxide poisoning, used in 25 percent of all cases.

NCJRS Abstract - National Criminal Justice Reference Service

Japan has a long cultural history of a practice called Shinju (double suicide between couples or parents and children) Shinjū - Wikipedia
For this reason, I don't think a Japanese study is the best one to cite for extrapolating rates of double suicide for the rest of the world. The numbers for Japan may be statistically higher simply due to their culture and history. JMO. On the other hand, if this was indeed a double suicide, perhaps the women were studying the type of Buddhism mentioned in the above link "wherein it is believed that through double suicide, one can approach rebirth". But that is a longshot. JMO.

I hope they are soon ID'd and given back to their families. :(

Candy and Sandy Nurse??? https://patch.com/new-york/nyack/clarkstown-cold-case-woman-missing-eight-years

Is it me or has she just been added after 30 years after her sister went missing too?
Thumbnail

Missing Person Case

Can't find any info outside of Oct of this month. Everyday its stranger and stranger what we come across. Maybe she found her sister, but both were now in trouble in NYC.. don't know.. time for bed..

Omg I JUST read this.. Ok this Really is Odd if this were them:eek:..
Wait?? I am confused:confused:..
It was 2010, eight yrs ago that Sandy supposedly came to NYC to look for her twin sister Candy.. But was Candy missing before that and that is why she came to look for her???
Or did Candy just live in NYC and had not met her twin Sandy?
So Sandy went missing.. But what is up with Candy?
Are they both missing?

I don't think people read the articles they write before they put them on the internet anymoreo_O
I am a bit confused.
Either way, I think its interesting they have just all of a sudden revisited the case.. Sandy Nurse is the missing one.. Candy Nurse is the one she went to see in the city.. Maybe someone tipped them off to something because all of a sudden she was written about this month??.. This is if in fact it is the Ladies in the River.... ahhh the plot thickens ha!

Seen Her? Police Issue New Alert For Missing Rockland Woman

Rockland Cold Case: Woman Missing Eight Years

Woman Who Went to Find Twin in NYC Missing 8 Years

Police Still Searching For Woman Who Vanished While Looking For Sister Eight Years Ago

omg yay!! finally, thank you bears10!!!!..I said this way back, I don't think anyone read the post.. because people still keep thinking there is some theory on the coats.. No!!o_O.. its just Damn cold! hahaha:D

It’s been soo cold in the mornings and nights. I’m laying in bed under two blankets with my heat on, dreading getting up bc it’s cold. I’m with ya! Lol

Sketches released of 2 women found bound by duct tape near New York City river

Sketches of two women whose bodies were found bound by duct tape near a New York City river were released.

Both women were described as being 25 to 30 years old, about 5-3 to 5-6 with a medium build and shoulder-length curly dark hair. They were each wearing a black jacket with fur trim and black leggings.

FOX5NY_HUDSON_RIVER_BODIES_102418_6_1540431872351_6285971_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Hudson-River-bodies-discovery.jpg

If this was a suicide it is archetypal, the waists joined, practic
Japan has a long cultural history of a practice called Shinju (double suicide between couples or parents and children) Shinjū - Wikipedia
For this reason, I don't think a Japanese study is the best one to cite for extrapolating rates of double suicide for the rest of the world. The numbers for Japan may be statistically higher simply due to their culture and history. JMO. On the other hand, if this was indeed a double suicide, perhaps the women were studying the type of Buddhism mentioned in the above link "wherein it is believed that through double suicide, one can approach rebirth". But that is a longshot. JMO.

I hope they are soon ID'd and given back to their families. :(
Interesting.

I invite you to find another online source to cite re: double suicides.

If this was a suicide it is archetypal, the waists joined, practic

Interesting.

I invite you to find another online source to cite re: double suicides.

Yes, that waist joined thing is why I'm leaving open the possibility in my mind that these ladies had somehow heard of the practice or been exposed to the Japanese customs/religion/theatre. However, I don't think double suicide is common enough in the western world to study. JMO.

Although it does happen, it seems rare. Murder-suicide seems more common in the US, when two people are found dead. Interestingly the only recent western case examples I am finding are sisters:
Twin sisters with 'debilitating' OCD dead in apparent suicide pact
Pictured: The middle-aged twin sisters who killed themselves in suicide plot after they lost their home in 'money problems' | Daily Mail Online

These two women seem like they could be sisters, based only on their sketches. JMO.

I agree.

Are they sisters? Twins?
A couple?
So many questions.

Omg I JUST read this.. Ok this Really is Odd if this were them:eek:..
Wait?? I am confused:confused:..
It was 2010, eight yrs ago that Sandy supposedly came to NYC to look for her twin sister Candy.. But was Candy missing before that and that is why she came to look for her???
Or did Candy just live in NYC and had not met her twin Sandy?
So Sandy went missing.. But what is up with Candy?
Are they both missing?

I don't think people read the articles they write before they put them on the internet anymoreo_O
I am a bit confused.
Either way, I think its interesting they have just all of a sudden revisited the case.. Sandy Nurse is the missing one.. Candy Nurse is the one she went to see in the city.. Maybe someone tipped them off to something because all of a sudden she was written about this month??.. This is if in fact it is the Ladies in the River.... ahhh the plot thickens ha!

Seen Her? Police Issue New Alert For Missing Rockland Woman

Rockland Cold Case: Woman Missing Eight Years

Woman Who Went to Find Twin in NYC Missing 8 Years

Police Still Searching For Woman Who Vanished While Looking For Sister Eight Years Ago
I started a thread in the 2010's Cold Case for Sandy Nurse who went missing for her twin sister in NYC
NY - NY - SANDY NURSE, 30, CENTRAL NYACK, "Lost while searching for missing sister", 23 April 2010

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimberlyJane523
Back