GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Apparently they didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge the teen who later escaped. Which is hard to understand considering there is a security video of the robbery. Maybe it's not of best quality and one can't clearly see the faces? But yet they can tell what 13 year old was doing or not doing. And as far as I understand it, 13 year old in custody named names. They don't consider that evidence enough?
Video of Tessa Majors' last moments does not implicate 13-year-old stabbing suspect, lawyer says
The teen who escaped was not the same teen that was let go for lack of evidence. The teen who escaped is 14 years old, and was on his way to turn himself in, accompanied by his parents, when he bolted. They will get him before long. Just a matter of time!

Apparently they didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge the teen who later escaped. Which is hard to understand considering there is a security video of the robbery. Maybe it's not of best quality and one can't clearly see the faces? But yet they can tell what 13 year old was doing or not doing. And as far as I understand it, 13 year old in custody named names. They don't consider that evidence enough?
Video of Tessa Majors' last moments does not implicate 13-year-old stabbing suspect, lawyer says

The teen who escaped was not the same teen that was let go for lack of evidence. The teen who escaped is 14 years old, and was on his way to turn himself in, accompanied by his parents, when he bolted. They will get him before long. Just a matter of time!

If our 13 yo in custody was actually 10 feet away, it might be difficult to get murder charges to stick.

A detective testified that surveillance footage shows the boy standing at least 10 feet away as two other suspects stabbed the college freshman, but he was found with the red-handled knife afterward. He told police he picked up a dropped knife and handed it to another teen just before the stabbing, the detective said.

The boy is not accused of stabbing Majors, but a judge ruled that there is probable cause to proceed with felony murder and robbery charges against him. Judge Carol Goldstein ordered him detained at least through the end of the year. Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 2.

(from link Tessa Majors Murder Sparks New College Safety Measures at Morningside Park)

IF "the red-handled knife" was the murder weapon, and IF the 13 yo was indeed found in possession of it afterward (according to the linked article), then the knife was cleaned and it may no longer hold the murderer's DNA on it.

Or "the red-handled knife" was not the murder weapon and just one of several knives the trio were carrying that evening.

This case is really making me upset.

Appears there are going to be the crew of lawyers and family members trying to protect and defend these little punks just because they are “minors”. Infuriating. I know the whole spiel about our justice system protecting minors for a reason, blah blah blah.

But- strictly MO- these kids were monsters that need to be removed from being around society. They are terrors and deserve no efforts to minimize their actions just because they are minors. There are things defensible because of youth and there are some things that are barbaric no matter what age. These guys are punks. Makes me sick these people are playing the legal games.

And I am so sad for her family to have to deal with this “minor” defense.

Sorry, needed to vent.

MOO.

Could be the same one.
"A 14-year-old boy was brought in for questioning over the weekend, but it is unclear whether he is the same teen who fled."

I just don’t get why they had to stab her? I mean, even if she resisted and bit them, they were a group of teen guys and she was a slight 18 year old girl. They could have overpowered her easily, taken her phone, bag, whatever. No reason to kill her for a stupid phone that they dropped anyway. Stupid to take her life and ruin theirs for absolutely nothing.
Probably they didn't want any living witnesses. I don't mean to sound insensitive to Tessa and her family. But that's likely the reason.

I am always as cautious as I can be but none of that guarantees that I will never be a victim of a violent crime. In fact, when I was a victim of a violent crime, it was in a very nice neighborhood in a tawny town in CT, not very far from the confines of NYC--- it was just as brutal and took equally long to recover from.

< snipped for focus >

Kaen, I'm so sorry to hear that you suffered through that ordeal. Although I've never been a victim of violent crime some of my family have been. My favorite uncle owned a jewelry store and had three robberies. Two were at gunpoint. He retired after the last one.

Those experiences can change a person's life and their outlook on life too. I hope that you have made a full recovery.

Probably they didn't want any living witnesses. I don't mean to sound insensitive to Tessa and her family. But that's likely the reason.

Though the desire to eliminate a witness is possible, I get the impression that this crime was committed due to a “perfect storm” based on mob escalating violence and mob mentality. The boys, either operating in that specific group, or in loose coordination with others are suspected in several mugging in the area. None of these victims were killed.

When confronted by the boys, Tess evidently refused to hand over her possessions. The probably agitated attackers then resorted to a choke hold (evidently a common NYC mugging tactic).

Tessa, perhaps fearing a sexual assault, then resisted further and bit the finger of one of them. Now the attackers were enraged. They could break off the mugging and risk humiliation (girl fought them off). Or, escalate the violence and “win” the encounter.

Apparently two of them escalated violence and stabbed the victim to death. Perhaps their dual presence “egged each other on”. The boy in custody is said to have been ten feet away when the stabbing occurred. He may have been trying to distance himself when the mugging did not initially go as planned.

In short, I think the murder was not planned as a way to prevent the witness from testifying. Rather, it was impulsive based on rage that the victim was continuing to resist and they were at risk of “losing face” if they "lost" the encounter.

Though the desire to eliminate a witness is possible, I get the impression that this crime was committed due to a “perfect storm” based on mob escalating violence and mob mentality. The boys, either operating in that specific group, or in loose coordination with others are suspected in several mugging in the area. None of these victims were killed.

When confronted by the boys, Tess evidently refused to hand over her possessions. The probably agitated attackers then resorted to a choke hold (evidently a common NYC mugging tactic).

Tessa, perhaps fearing a sexual assault, then resisted further and bit the finger of one of them. Now the attackers were enraged. They could break off the mugging and risk humiliation (girl fought them off). Or, escalate the violence and “win” the encounter.

Apparently two of them escalated violence and stabbed the victim to death. Perhaps their dual presence “egged each other on”. The boy in custody is said to have been ten feet away when the stabbing occurred. He may have been trying to distance himself when the mugging did not initially go as planned.

In short, I think the murder was not planned as a way to prevent the witness from testifying. Rather, it was impulsive based on rage that the victim was continuing to resist and they were at risk of “losing face” if they "lost" the encounter.
I agree this is likely. If they went into the park to rob people at knifepoint and not leave any living witnesses, then we’re talking about premeditated murder.

I also think it was probably rage when she resisted. So sad because she probably didn’t really think these middle schoolers were that big of a threat.

I hope they catch the escaped kid, and I hope all three pay the appropriate price for this brutal murder. The fact that there’s video of the actual murder seems like it should ensure that the right perps are held accountable, but the fact that they didn’t have enough to charge the other kid and one is on the run doesn’t give me a lot of confidence. o_O

Very well explained, and a highly likely scenario imo. I wonder why the currently arrested teen had to pick up the knife to give it to one of the other boys - had Tessa hit it out of that boy's hand? How embarrassing. That could have enraged them too.

IMO, you nailed it, Cryptic.

Also, yes, my first reaction to why she resisted was she was put in an unexpected chokehold (from behind) first, 2 more male young teens in front of her, and one begins to touch her clothing pockets - she thought she would be sexually assaulted and resisted.

Last edited:
Very well explained, and a highly likely scenario imo. I wonder why the currently arrested teen had to pick up the knife to give it to one of the other boys - had Tessa hit it out of that boy's hand? How embarrassing. That could have enraged them too.

The 13 yo who has been charged is a follower. The likely "leader" of the trio drops his knife, and the follower picks it up for the dominant one and returns it to him.

IF the 13 yo was found in possession of the murder weapon, which he neither used nor owned, he was desperate for the leader's approval as well as to raise his status within the group.

The 13 yo who has been charged is a follower. The likely "leader" of the trio drops his knife, and the follower picks it up for the dominant one and returns it to him.

IF the 13 yo was found in possession of the murder weapon, which he neither used nor owned, he was desperate for the leader's approval as well as to raise his status within the group.

I agree with you. But what I meant was, how did the knife end up on the ground? Possibly Tessa hit it out of one boy's hand, embarrassing him and enraging him further.

I agree with you. But what I meant was, how did the knife end up on the ground? Possibly Tessa hit it out of one boy's hand, embarrassing him and enraging him further.

No, I don't think so. I think it must have simply slipped out of his pocket (esp if he was wearing a coat with side pockets that you slide your hands into) prior to the attack. Also, no mention of hand wounds, etc. on the victim.

I think the dropped knife and the handing of it back to him occurred mins before she was set upon and is not on the video. Therefore, the 13 yo was fairly quickly not believed to be the actual murderer.

Q&A re Tessa's case a couple of hrs ago at One PP:

<snip> Police arrested 13-year-old *advertiser censored* last week on a charge of felony murder but released a 14-year-old suspect following several hours of questioning. A third suspect — believed to be the stabber — is still in the wind.

While speaking at 1 Police Plaza, Harrison denied previous reports that the unapprehended teen jumped out of a car while on his way to meet with cops Monday.

“We did have contact with relations of the outstanding person-of-interest’s guardian and I will not talk about why the second individual was not charged,” Harrison said.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/tessa-majors-murder-nypd-struggles-to-give-details-on-investigation/

A gang initiation ?
Teens looking to make a 'name' for themselves ?
Idk.
Imo these teens are not able to be rehabilitated.
If released-- it's a good bet they'll re-offend.
And their upbringing or lack thereof is why they are 'the way they are'.
Esp. if family members are hiding and/or protecting any of them !

< snipped for focus >

Kaen, I'm so sorry to hear that you suffered through that ordeal. Although I've never been a victim of violent crime some of my family have been. My favorite uncle owned a jewelry store and had three robberies. Two were at gunpoint. He retired after the last one.

Those experiences can change a person's life and their outlook on life too. I hope that you have made a full recovery.

Thank you. It took a fair amount of time but I have recovered as much as I am going to. The hardest thing has been feeling safe in my home. Funny that I work in an area that has lots of crime but it is my home that gives me pause more often than not. I am very safety conscious when I am out and about. But, I never thought I would be a victim before so I don't have any illusions that it can't happen again.

This case has really got me in its thrall.
I can't imagine how the Barnard women are getting along these days. I'm glad they have some holidays so that they can get away for a little while. SMH.

A couple of articles:
Tessa Majors’ murder caught on security camera; teen says he handed off knife in NY college killing
Updated Dec 18, 2019;Posted Dec 18, 2019
By The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) — A 13-year-old boy accused of aiding in the killing of a Barnard College freshman told police he picked up a dropped knife and handed it to another youth just before the fatal stabbing in a park near the school’s New York City campus, a detective testified Tuesday.
The Dec. 11 confrontation, which ended with 18-year-old Tessa Majors staggering up a flight of stairs to street level from Manhattan’s Morningside Park and collapsing in a crosswalk, was partially captured on security video, Detective Wilfredo Acevedo said.
Tessa Majors’ murder caught on security camera; teen says he handed off knife

Boy, 14, Sought in Killing of Tessa Majors, Barnard Student
Officials took the unusual step of distributing his photo, asking the public for help in finding him.
By Edgar Sandoval and Ashley Southall
Dec. 20, 2019Updated 8:15 p.m. ET
Nine days after a Barnard student was killed during a mugging in a park, New York City police on Friday were carrying out an extensive manhunt for a 14-year-old boy who detectives believed may have been the one who stabbed her with a knife.
“We are working tirelessly,” the New York Police Department’s chief of detectives, Rodney Harrison, said at a news conference. “We are looking for one more individual and the investigation is still ongoing.”

merlin_165924453_4b386b6e-9317-4f67-9c20-7ae6deafcd1b-articleLarge.jpg

Tessa Majors in a photo she posted to Instagram.
Boy, 14, Sought in Killing of Tessa Majors, Barnard Student

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWI
Back