GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://nypost.com/2019/12/16/tessa...er-14-bolts-from-car-sparking-harlem-manhunt/

The 14-year-old suspected killer of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors jumped out of a car while on his way to meet with cops on Monday, sparking a manhunt in Harlem, police sources told The Post.

The middle-schooler and an adult were headed to meet with cops on Monday, when the kid bolted out of the car, a high-ranking source told The Post.
Wow! So they haven’t caught him yet? Gee, doesn’t look guilty or anything... :oops:

I used to live on 109th and Morningside (Columbia Grad). I also interned at Friends of Rikers Island Academy (worked with non-violent drug offenders). I'm kind of sad nothing much has changed since I was there early 2000s.I did home visits, and once I remember asking where one of my clients brothers were, and he told me he had gone to the park to rob illegals with an AK.
For what it's worth, I was beaten and robbed, one of the guys dropped his ID at the scene (they followed me to my apt), and the NYPD were barely interested and nothing came of it. I feel so sad for her and her family. I know first hand how useless the police there can be.

Around the same time, my friend (MFA program) moved to 108th and Columbus (it was a desperation move). The first time another friend and I went to visit her, we encountered used crack vials and syringes on the street. The front building door buzzer didn't work (!! - I think we were too worried to point out that if it didn't work to let you in, what were the chances it was keeping anyone out?); so you had to call her from the street when you were coming (friend didn't last long there).

Aside: Said friend was once mugged at an ATM near Columbia. It was a pretty civilized mugging though. My friend was always paying on her student loan interest, so she never had any money; and on this day, she didn't even have enough to take out $20.

She showed the ATM receipt to the mugger. He looked bemused.

Finally, he just waved her off with a "hey, whatcha gonna do?" air (because, really, what was she gonna do? Clearly he'd hit upon a bad target). My friends and I wondered how many times this had actually happened in the annals of UWS/Harlem muggings.

Apparently they didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge the teen who later escaped. Which is hard to understand considering there is a security video of the robbery. Maybe it's not of best quality and one can't clearly see the faces? But yet they can tell what 13 year old was doing or not doing. And as far as I understand it, 13 year old in custody named names. They don't consider that evidence enough?
Video of Tessa Majors' last moments does not implicate 13-year-old stabbing suspect, lawyer says

Why haven’t they caught the guy that escaped yesterday? Is it really that easy for a young teen to jump out of a car and elude police for this long? I must be missing something?
I know! Where the heck could he even go besides friends’ houses? Who was the adult driving him to the station? Do we know?

I am actively avoiding commenting on this thread in order to not be accused of "defending" the murder again.
BUT
Cops suggesting she had any deserving of this for going to buy weed is disgusting.

Why is this the Cop's MO. They tried to do it to Bothom Jean too.
I meant to reply to this already...
I agree! Why do they always try to demonize marijuana and make it the root of all crimes?

Victim blaming Bothom Jean was the lowest of the low IMO. You could not have a more innocent victim in his case! That drove me absolutely CRAZY. :mad:

I wonder if the 13 year old has named the other attackers but they just can’t locate them? Someone is hiding them? Seems like they would have them in custody by now.
In all probability somebody or some people is hiding him.

I strongly suspect, however, that the suspect(s) have very little knowledge of the world outside of the Harlem area of Manhattan and their “hunting grounds” that adjoin it in a general sense.

Likewise, they probably have a very finite number of friends and family willing to shelter them for any period of time- let alone refrain from talking about it. Then factor in that the suspects probably don’t have a lot of personal discipline in regards to not communicating with friends etc.

In short, if the above is true, they don’t really have any place to go for any length of time. The murder is a very high priority and a variety of police resources are being concentrated on finding them. My guess is that they will be found fast.

As a side note, judging by the name of the suspect in custody, he is fully “home grown”- and thus has no family in another country. So, overseas flight back is not an option either.

Apparently they didn't feel there was enough evidence to charge the teen who later escaped. Which is hard to understand considering there is a security video of the robbery. Maybe it's not of best quality and one can't clearly see the faces? But yet they can tell what 13 year old was doing or not doing. And as far as I understand it, 13 year old in custody named names. They don't consider that evidence enough?
Video of Tessa Majors' last moments does not implicate 13-year-old stabbing suspect, lawyer says
<snip> "The evidence here is the opposite," Kaplan said. "The only testimony connecting my client to anything related to Miss Majors' death and alleged robbery is that at some point my client picked up a knife and handed it to someone. That is refuted by the description of the surveillance video."

I don’t understand this. His lawyer is saying that the testimony that he picked up and handed the knife is disputed by the video. But it’s his OWN testimony saying he did this. o_O
Is the lawyer implying that his testimony was coerced and false?

robbed and beaten and even had the ID of the person who did it but the police didnt even bother?!!! Sounds like a missed lawsuit!!!
Even the most dedicated 1-800 Sue Them attorneys rarely sue government agencies.

All government agencies have degrees of sovereign immunity- and even “local level” sovereign immunity is extremely solid. Sure, local government agencies may agree to pay settlements, but in nearly all cases, they can’t really be forced to pay anything that they are not willing to pay.

In short, unless the case in question was accompanied by intense media interest that could lead to the Sovereign agreeing to a pay out at some time, my guess is that the odds of success are far too low and the required time investment far too high to tempt an attorney.

Last edited:
I meant to reply to this already...
I agree! Why do they always try to demonize marijuana and make it the root of all crimes?

Victim blaming Bothom Jean was the lowest of the low IMO. You could not have a more innocent victim in his case! That drove me absolutely CRAZY. :mad:

Agree 10,000%. I've been smoking for at least 10+ years as it helps with my PTSD and anxiety, and have NEVER been arrested and I've never been even remotely close to getting in any sort of trouble while either obtaining it or using it.

<snip> "The evidence here is the opposite," Kaplan said. "The only testimony connecting my client to anything related to Miss Majors' death and alleged robbery is that at some point my client picked up a knife and handed it to someone. That is refuted by the description of the surveillance video."

I don’t understand this. His lawyer is saying that the testimony that he picked up and handed the knife is disputed by the video. But it’s his OWN testimony saying he did this. o_O
Is the lawyer implying that his testimony was coerced and false?

^^Respectfully, BBM

Yes, I think his picking up and handing the knife back to the teen who did the stabbing is not on the video.
It seems that he may have picked up and given the knife back to his accomplice Prior to the robbery of the victim. This may have occurred even before the 13 yo realized she was going to be the victim.

Also, I believe his attorney would argue that although he had a guardian present during questioning, he did not have an attorney and was pressured during questioning into making self-incriminating statements.

Yeah, how dare she buy pot - if she did - how dare she. :confused: SMH
Whew, I feel very fortunate -- I didn't know that college freshmen died when they bought pot. I guess I was lucky, huh??

C'mon Police union boss, back off, if that's indeed what you said -- why did you say it in public? The very idea. Why say anything? The act of the murder speaks for itself.
Her poor dad -- he's probably ready to knock somebody's head off. Talk about rubbing salt in a wound.

If our 13 yo in custody was actually 10 feet away, it might be difficult to get murder charges to stick.

A detective testified that surveillance footage shows the boy standing at least 10 feet away as two other suspects stabbed the college freshman, but he was found with the red-handled knife afterward. He told police he picked up a dropped knife and handed it to another teen just before the stabbing, the detective said.

The boy is not accused of stabbing Majors, but a judge ruled that there is probable cause to proceed with felony murder and robbery charges against him. Judge Carol Goldstein ordered him detained at least through the end of the year. Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 2.

(from link Tessa Majors Murder Sparks New College Safety Measures at Morningside Park)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back