NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2001 excursion they owned has multiple violations for an inspection that recently took place that included brake defects but nothing for the exhaust by the way. Another inspection earlier in the year had brake issues and nothing with exhaust.

Last edited:
From the inspection site linked earlier - I think it is like a govt mee thing (basically junk) the inspections appear to be someone pulling over a car and looking at it! Like no big deal

It does seem like this might be a mechanical deal (Brakes- steering tire off etc etc)

It was daylight

roads dry

No skid marks from brake application seen - that is telling imo

really kind of "feels" like brake issue - if you look at the path of the vehicle it appears as if the driver was attempting to navigate the vehicle from impact straight ahead of him and there was too much speed and interia.

It was old so it was stretched from old specs to began with imo

The vehicle itself is pretty intact - looks like a lot of survivable space --so it would seem lethality is gonna come back to seat belts no??

pure speculation tho

Does anyone know how steep Rte 30 is as it approaches the intersection? I’ve looked at the roads from Google Earth, but can’t tell.

I’m also curious what makes this intersection so dangerous, as some have reported. Is it steepness paired with little notice of the upcoming stop sign? It didn’t look like a dangerous intersection when I looked on Google Earth.

Can any locals enlighten us? Thanks.

From the inspection site linked earlier - I think it is like a govt mee thing (basically junk) the inspections appear to be someone pulling over a car and looking at it!

It does seem like this might be a mechanical deal (Brakes- steering tire off etc etc)

It was daylight

roads dry

No skid marks from brake application seen - that is telling imo

really kind of "feels" like brake issue - if you look at the path of the vehicle it appears as if the driver was attempting to navigate the vehicle from impact straight ahead of him and there was too much speed and interia.

The vehicle it self is pretty intact - looks like a lot of survivable space --so it would seem lethality is gonna come back to seat belts no??

pure speculation tho

That website is not junk. Its a real website for the inspection. you just need to have access to view all the violations and inspection dated.

The second photo looks as if the driver was breaking with all his might. The blacktop looks scored from debris under the wheels. Wondering if this was one of those run-away vehicles that accelerates and can’t be controlled. Wasn’t there a brand of vehicles that this happened with?
Medical emergency of the driver is possible, but the area where the vehicle left the road shows scoring along the blacktop which would indicate he was trying to stop the vehicle. I’m going with unintended acceleration and failed braking system, a known Ford vehicle problem.

The pictures you're referring to (attached) actually show the drag marks the wrecked limo left on the ground and pavement after it was pulled from the ravine by the tow truck.

apple5.jpg apple4.jpg

Last edited:
By then he would have lost control of the limo. If he tried to over correct that would lead to more out of control swerving.

If he had maintained the vehicle he wouldn't have ever drove off into a deep ditch with a many feet dropoff. It was that long drop of forward motion and then the sudden total deceleration upon impact that caused the massive deadly injuries.

I think he lost control early on when he realized he had sped through the stop sign. The worst thing that causes loss of control is stomping on the brakes.

Once the vehicle began to swerve there was no way to get it under control. People tend to over correct which only worsens the situation.

Jmo
I think the brakes failed as they were headed down that long hill. Such a senseless tragedy for the families. I can't even begin to imagine their heartbreak and pain.

I think they will find this accident happened due to human error plus it was not modified to safety standards.

If they find brake failure imo that is because the driver locked the brakes down...not that they were defective before. If he locked the brakes down then he probably caused the brake hydraulic line system to explode leaving no brake fluid rendering the brakes inoperable.

The best thing he could have done when he went through the stop sign is to keep his foot off the brake and off of the accelerator letting the limo slowdown on its own.

Eta... it wouldn't have taken the limo long to slowdown due to its heavy weight.

Jmo

Last edited:
I think the brakes failed as they were headed down that long hill. Such a senseless tragedy for the families. I can't even begin to imagine their heartbreak and pain.

It is so tragic and all of it was preventable if he had just remembered to react properly in this kind of situations.

It's obvious to me anyway he overreacted. I don't know if this company had training classes or not but those who do have training experts come in showing the drivers what needs to be done if this type of situation should arise.

I think that is the reason even though semi drivers have gone through this same stop sign they knew how to avoid a collision even if it meant bogging the truck down in the mud off the road. Drivers know boggy areas or sandy areas helps the truck come to a stop safely even it caused damage to the semi.

Many states actually have runaway ramps made of deep sand in case they burnout their brakes in high mountain and hilly areas.

Jmo

I think they will find this accident happened due to human error plus it was not modified to safety standards.

If they find brake failure imo that is because the driver locked the brakes down...not that they were defective before. If he locked the brakes down then he probably caused the brake hydraulic line system to explode leaving no brake fluid rendering the brakes inoperable.

The best thing he could have done when he went through the stop sign is to keep his foot off the brake and off of the accelerator letting the limo slowdown on its own.

Eta... it wouldn't have taken the limo long to slowdown due to its heavy weight.

Jmo

BBM

And downshifted. Even in an automatic, you can downshift to slow a vehicle. Your transmission won't like it, but considering the options...

I lost my dgson in April of 2016. I can't imagine the agony of losing four daughters.

Timeline: The Making of an FBI Superinformant

Lots of info here about the owner of the limo company..

August 2006
After swearing to the bankruptcy court that he can’t afford to pay his debts, Hussain buys a run-down hotel in upstate New York and puts it in his wife’s name. Two years later, three guests sue Hussain for fraud after he takes prepaid reservations for rooms that are not actually available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member