NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how steep Rte 30 is as it approaches the intersection? I’ve looked at the roads from Google Earth, but can’t tell.

I’m also curious what makes this intersection so dangerous, as some have reported. Is it steepness paired with little notice of the upcoming stop sign? It didn’t look like a dangerous intersection when I looked on Google Earth.

Can any locals enlighten us? Thanks.

It has been reported at a 7% grade! wow

It doesnt look that steep on Google, I agree, but the NY Transportation Dept had to ban trucks from that route because of the steepness and inability to stop at that intersection.

From pictures I have seen no brake marks on the road.

Can’t find the image now that showed the road, there is an image here that shiws the grass area were the limo left the road. Seeing the long gouges in the asphalt make me think the limo was on its side. Ever the large area were the limo went across the grass doesn’t jive with tire marks leaving the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...gion/wedding-limo-crash-schoharie-ny.amp.html

Can’t find the image now that showed the road, there is an image here that shiws the grass area were the limo left the road. Seeing the long gouges in the asphalt make me think the limo was on its side. Ever the large area were the limo went across the grass doesn’t jive with tire marks leaving the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...gion/wedding-limo-crash-schoharie-ny.amp.html

The limo doesnt really look like it was tipped over or upside down when the towed it out.

Passenger Expressed Concern About Limo Shortly Before Crash Killed 20

Instead, the group obtained a stretch limousine, which was in shoddy condition, Ms. McGowan told her friend, using a profanity to describe the vehicle.

The friend, Melissa Healey, 33, who had been the maid of honor at Ms. McGowan’s wedding this past summer, shared the texts with The New York Times.

“The motor is making everyone deaf,” wrote Ms. McGowan, before Ms. Healey asked from where they rented the car.

Ms. McGowan responded that she wasn’t sure, but then added, “When we get to brewery we will all b deaf.”

They never made it.

goodness

I agree -- there are no tire anywhere in accident sequence - it looks more like a plane crash belly across the ground - really strange

and it seems like it was really going fast at first to toss another vehicle from stand still to another location

that seems pretty intense

@CBS6SteveM
BREAKING: Per @NYGovCuomo The driver of the limo in the Schoharie crash didn’t have the appropriate driver’s license to be operating that limo. The limo, which is owned by Prestige Limo, failed inspection by the DMV. It wasn’t supposed to be on the road.

I didn't think the facts could get any worse.

Omg..I was totally wrong.

This is so hard to believe that any company who is responsible for the safety of others is this unethical and shady.

If all of this is true the people who knew this yet did it anyway for financial gain should all go to prison for a very long time.

Jmo

I’m just going to say that the limo driver had the most terrifying experience, likely with failed brakes melted by the friction of attempting to stop a truly unweildly 6-7000 pound vehicle with melted brakes & drums, as it carreened down a 7% incline at speeds exceeding 60 mph to an unexpected stop sign. In addition, the festival meant there were people parked near the store and pedestrians, too.

I think he should be at least given respect that he kept the vehicle outside of the parking lot, or the fatality numbers would have been much higher.

He truly had a terrrifying death and I’m sorry for that. The limo business is very sketchy and he is also a victim of inadequate safety and maintenance by the limo company, but also likely because of the acknowledged hazardous design of the intersection that had not been adequately corrected

I’m just going to say that the limo driver had the most terrifying experience, likely with failed brakes melted by the friction of attempting to stop a truly unweildly 6-7000 pound vehicle with melted brakes & drums, as it carreened down a 7% incline at speeds exceeding 60 mph to an unexpected stop sign. In addition, the festival meant there were people parked near the store and pedestrians, too.

I think he should be at least given respect that he kept the vehicle outside of the parking lot, or the fatality numbers would have been much higher.

He truly had a terrrifying death and I’m sorry for that. The limo business is very sketchy and he is also a victim of inadequate safety and maintenance by the limo company, but also likely because of the acknowledged hazardous design of the intersection that had not been adequately corrected

No doubt he was terrified.

I was giving the driver the benefit of the doubt until I learned he was breaking the law by driving that vehicle. He lost my sympathy.

RBBM

Yes, absolutely. Thanks for posting this.

No doubt he was terrified.

I was giving the driver the benefit of the doubt until I learned he was breaking the law by driving that vehicle. He lost my sympathy.

I think we need to hear the full story from the limo company.

They started off with a different vehicle that broke down. Was he the driver of that original vehicle or was he the driver that brought this vehicle and just kept on going?

He may not have had options that seemed reasonable at the time.

Like I said.... the limo business is very sketchy- not all nice wedding parties & such. Drugs, prostitution, etc can all be part of the “business” and some of the limo drivers I have met through business are not our best citizens.

Nevertheless. He is dead and died a horrible death.

He knew he wasn’t licensed to driver that vehicle, he probably knew it failed inspection.
The limo was used at the last minute because the bus they wanted wasn’t operational. He knew.

I have way more sympathy for the innocents here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB