NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry to read about this terrible and horrendous tragedy. It has been heartbreaking reading about the two little girls who have been orphaned and the two newlywed couples who have died.

Limos are pretty dangerous if you are in an accident due to the design and lack of airbags for the passengers and the occupants (excluding the driver) often don’t wear seatbelts. I don’t know if that was the case in this tragedy. The accident site on the news looks catastrophic so they may not have helped anyone survive.

May the all the victims in the vehicle and the pedestrians killed Rest In Peace.

I have been thinking and praying for everyone involved here.

My own father was killed in a car accident when I was a child. Like it or not, it dramatically altered my life. I feel so sorry for those poor children.

I have been thinking and praying for everyone involved here.

My own father was killed in a car accident when I was a child. Like it or not, it dramatically altered my life. I feel so sorry for those poor children.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing this.

Continued prayers for the Families and Friends involved.

I have driven on roads in hilly & mountain areas east coast, ny,pa,va, have had an intersection here and there that appeared quicker than expected, although was always was able to stop.
Most have sections of cuts/grooves in the aspault as a warning, (they get my attention).

From reading about the signage on the road seems appropriate, but it only takes a second to miss a sign. If looking in rearview or sideview mirror a sign can be missed.

I think there will be multipy reasons for this avoidable tragedy.
The big question, I think, is the state of the brakes.

This was not a collision, which is the normal kind of impact that happens so suddenly, the driver has no time to slow down.

To have completely missed the stop sign, crossed the highway, gone along the driveway, hit a car, swerved and finally hit those trees with such force as to destroy the whole front of the vehicle, seems to me to indicate maybe the brakes weren't working at all.

I may be wrong, but it seems possible the accident was because the driver couldn't even slow the car down on the hill, so it picked up a lot of speed.

I don't know whether the brakes on this limo were so special that you needed special training and a special license to operate them, but I imagine that brakes are brakes.

ETA: just wanted to offer an opinion, that when this kind of tragedy happens in the modern world, there's a big hunt for 'who to blame', which comes with the threat of multi-million dollar lawsuits, and so an equally big effort to 'pass the buck'. Everyone, including Cuomo and government officials leaking details, are only trying to ensure they're not blamed. That's the only purpose of everything that everyone is saying.

Last edited:
This article says the brothers moved out of their mansion two days prior to the limo crash. Could this be why Nauman’s car had packed bags in it when he was arrested?

Also, Shahid has been in Pakistan for 8 months.

EXCLUSIVE: Nauman Hussain, charged in limo crash that killed 20 people, lived opulent lifestyle, neighbors say - NY Daily News

The man charged in a limousine crash that killed 20 people had been living a life of luxury upstate prior to the tragedy — complete with a secluded mansion, high-end cars and multiple properties in his and his brother’s names, the Daily News has learned.

Snip

Then last week — just days before the horrific limo crash that killed 20 people — the Hussain brothers moved out.

“They moved out late at night, like maybe 10 or 11 o’clock. I could see into their parking lot, I could see the lights and trucks,” said another neighbor. “I watched as it went out the driveway and I could see that it was a moving truck.”

Snip

Despite the brothers’ mysterious aura, one neighbor felt their father Shahid — who has been in Pakistan for the past eight months — was more to blame.

Attachments

• 9737E026-2F74-48F3-A367-FC5C71E4E60D.jpeg
    9737E026-2F74-48F3-A367-FC5C71E4E60D.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 42

This was not a collision, which is the normal kind of impact that happens so suddenly, the driver has no time to slow down.

To have completely missed the stop sign, crossed the highway, gone along the driveway, hit a car, swerved and finally hit those trees with such force as to destroy the whole front of the vehicle, seems to me to indicate maybe the brakes weren't working at all.

I may be wrong, but it seems possible the accident was because the driver couldn't even slow the car down on the hill, so it picked up a lot of speed.

I don't know whether the brakes on this limo were so special that you needed special training and a special license to operate them, but I imagine that brakes are brakes.

ETA: just wanted to offer an opinion, that when this kind of tragedy happens in the modern world, there's a big hunt for 'who to blame', which comes with the threat of multi-million dollar lawsuits, and so an equally big effort to 'pass the buck'. Everyone, including Cuomo and government officials leaking details, are only trying to ensure they're not blamed. That's the only purpose of everything that everyone is saying.
I agree with all of this.

I think the brakes went out.

jmo

Edited to add: To clarify, I think the brakes were bad and the limo company knew they were bad. I don't think they "went out" without any prior indication. I think the vehicle was in unsafe condition and the owners knew it. imo

Wondering....Are they trying to portray the operator of the limo company as an “all American boy” like they did the suspect arrested for the murder of Mollie Tibbetts?
CBA “setting the record straight” on comment made by limo operator’s attorney
<modsnip> The reality is that these young men have community ties and have been in that community for most of their lives. Being awful business men who did not keep their vehicles in good working conditions or any other unethical behavior is not unlike any number of business people who put profit before safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Next thing you know, they'll release a picture of him in a Cub Scout uniform when he was 8-years-old.
Like many who are accused of awful crimes, the lawyers and PR firms are trying to give an alternate view. That is what a lawyer is supposed to do---give you the best defense possible. I may find it nauseating but if I was in the accused shoes, I would want my lawyer to do the same.

For the record, reports say that three trucks have lost their brakes on that hill, and plowed off the end of the road. Whatever the cause, it's a common problem on that hill.

Though the owner of the business seems to be receiving most of the blame, my guess is that there are several other possible contributors to the crash:

- Driver error and possible high rate of speed.
- An intersection that was locally known to be dangerous, but also apparently not marked well with signage.
- Legally permitted extensive post factory modifications to a vehicle that enabled it to carry far more passengers than the original design.

Two of the above potential contributors are government, one is a private citizen. The government effectively cannot be sued (Sovereign Immunity). The private citizen is deceased. That leaves one person holding the blame- Owner, vehicle had previously failed safety inspections.

For the record, reports say that three trucks have lost their brakes on that hill, and plowed off the end of the road. Whatever the cause, it's a common problem on that hill.
Thats because going down hill with a heavy load will definitely burn out your breaks if you are going too fast and simply try to ride out the break while going down hill. Jmo.

And this is why if you have a heavy load. You are always supposed to go down a hill in low gear so you are not forced to ride the break down hill.

And all Class B and Class A drivers should know this before getting their Commercial license. Jmo.

Like many who are accused of awful crimes, the lawyers and PR firms are trying to give an alternate view. That is what a lawyer is supposed to do---give you the best defense possible. I may find it nauseating but if I was in the accused shoes, I would want my lawyer to do the same.

Of course, and most Websleuthers are aware of this. But geez & heck, I was just poking fun at the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member