NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't that what defense attorneys do? point the finger elsewhere--- though from what I read, in this case i think the road was a factor, - but not the cause of the accident IMO

Yes, and as a juror, I have seen defense attorneys spout accusations on the personal lives of investigating officers. Never would have thought that would be allowed, but evidently it is.

Well the owner’s son surely was trying to. Luckily cops caught him on a highway in Albany (near an airport) with a car full of packed luggage. Sneaky little....

The law should have kept him in jail as a flight risk, but set bail that he could pay. Guarantee he won’t be in the country very long.

And add to the complications of the law suits. I think this is going to take years in the courts, which is yet another burden for the survivors to endure....for a long time.

:(
Oh, I agree. The children who lost parents and the people who end up raising those children will need money, sooner then later. Hopefully what ever they get from life insurance, survivor benefits from SS, the sale of the homes etc., will help carry them over until the lawsuits are over.

I remember seeing “no insurance” on the failed inspection report that was posted, but that could have changed. Considering all of the failures, I doubt the owners of the company would have thought insurance was a necessity.
Hopefully there will be changes to ensure businesses can no longer get away with this kind of negligence. What kind of people do this to other innocent people. (I think I just answered my own question.)

I don't know about it being in your driveway, I've never heard of that in NY but you can be arrested for driving an unregistered vehicle. As far as inspection, they can give you a warning, a ticket, and a fine. But in this case it was not unregistered. The car was " stickered" ( whatever that means) and "ordered out of service." according to what I read. I would imagine if he was carrying passengers they would have arrested him. At any rate, the driver, and the company, knew full well the vehicle shouldn't be on the road, let alone carrying passengers. Especially 8 people above the limit. I wonder if the weight had something to do with it as well. Jmo
They should have put a boot on it and towed it away.

Maybe I missed it, where did the vehicle not being registered come from??
I’ve read it was stickered “ out of service” which means it can still be driven for 15 days for the purpose of repairs being made. I haven’t seen anything saying it wasn’t registered. Is that being said because it wasn’t registered as a bus?
No, it was registered. Someone just made that assumption. According to CNN, there were 7 lessor violations that did not warrent the vehicle being taken off the road. Among them were " improper display of carriers name and/or federal DOT number, registration or license plate, a problem with the hydraulic brakes" and something to do with the windshield wipers.

Oh yeah, he posted bail though, which personally I don’t think he should have gotten. But at least they took his Passport...but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a fake one or some other means to jump bail.

These folks were into a lot of shady activities. Securing a passport by whatever means necessary won't be a problem ;)

They should have put a boot on it and towed it away.
Yes, it seems like they really did everything they could to get the vehicle off the road. There was just nothing they could cite him with that would allow them to impound it. Even if they did the owner could have just paid a fee and gotten it back. I don't think they could have legally physically taken the vehicle away. They "stickered" the car and it was " ordered out of service." It was up to the owner to comply. Jmo

These folks were into a lot of shady activities. Securing a passport by whatever means necessary won't be a problem ;)
The father also worked undercover for the government and helped prevent a terrorist attack that was to occur in Queens. He may have some contacts. Of course, we will never know how that will play out. I really can't see this guy getting away with this. It won't be difficult to prove that the company was negligible. Although the lawyer says the claims are not true. According to him, the only problems were the windshield wiper and a problem with one of the locks. Jmo

Yes, it seems like they really did everything they could to get the vehicle off the road. There was just nothing they could cite him with that would allow them to impound it. Even if they did the owner could have just paid a fee and gotten it back. I don't think they could have legally physically taken the vehicle away. They "stickered" the car and it was " ordered out of service." It was up to the owner to comply. Jmo
After this, not anymore. IMO.

Was this vehicle used recently? I wonder if the company hadn't been using it lately, but when the call came in for a replacement vehicle for the birthday party, they sent this limo purely out of greed. The owners could have said no and sent the group to another company....but they didn't.

Bottom line is the owners and likely the driver all knew that vehicle should not have been on the road, let along carrying unsuspecting passengers.

jmopinion

It's been stated in news articles that the limo traveled 1300 miles after it was taken off the road for violations.

It's been stated in news articles that the limo traveled 1300 miles after it was taken off the road for violations.
Egad.

Okay, forget my question asking if the vehicle was put aside but then pulled out for this job - when a replacement vehicle was needed for the group. The owners had knowing been using a faulty vehicle for awhile.

What a disaster of a company. Shameful.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members