OFF TOPIC Chit-Chat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Houndacres....OMG my ex bought him a 9mm for Christmas..that is a bit too much!! We have a 9mm and it has kick...he doesn't need a 9mm..

Hi Neighbor..Bern ..it just depends on where you are.. but I will tell you this..I use to live in Dunedin at a duplex.. we had a Pony Palm Tree..they are different than those tall ones..they are or at least this was smaler and the root ball was not growing underground..you could tip it up kinda well I was doing yard work and I was kneeling on ground & lost my balance & leaned on that tree under it was a Coral snake...I screamed bloody murder..it scared me so bad who would of thought.
Remember last year when the lady had the alligator in her kitchen.. that was down the road from me !!
http://www.abcactionnews.com/mostpo...-alligator-in-her/MGNiItlaX0C0oDjJP5kmxg.cspx

PINELLAS COUNTY, FL -- An Eastlake Woodlands woman made a beeline for the door when she saw what was next to her refrigerator Monday night.-----
Deputies believe the 8-foot 8-inch gator was after the family cat. It apparently broke through the back porch screen door, entered the home through an open sliding glass door, and then made its way in through the living room, down the hall, and into the kitchen.

I have never been to Florida and now I know that I won't be going!! LOL I detest snakes and gators are way above snakes on that scale!! ACK!!!

I hate snakes too SS..They are so ewww snakey!!
Bern:
f you want to keep snakes out of your yard, you’ll want to make sure that shrubs, bushes, and thick gardens are kept away from your home. Snakes love gardens with lots of shrubbery. It gives them a place to hide and hang out while they wait for the next meal to come along. It also provides the snake with a perfectly safe way to travel from one place to another.
Mowing your lawn will help you get rid of snakes. Tall grass is a great place for snakes to hide and move around in. Not only that, but tall grasses host a number of the snake’s favorite meals like crickets, grasshoppers, mice, and a plethora of other small rodents and insects. Keeping the grass low also means that snakes will feel less comfortable there because they’re open to attack by their own natural predators like hawks and owls. Piles of wood, compost heaps, and mulch should be kept a safe distance from your home if you’re getting rid of snakes. As you might imagine, snakes are always looking for places to hide or cool off during the really hot days. The gaps between logs provide the perfect cover for snakes, as do compost heaps and piles of just about anything. By now you should understand that controlling snakes means removing their safe spots. Getting rid of snakes means getting rid of small rodents. If you have snakes consistently slithering through your yard, chances are they’re chasing a meal. This is why we find snakes in our garage, under our porches, and in our gardens: those are all places where rodents like mice, squirrels, and other furry like to find a meal or make a nest. Snakes know this, and it only makes sense to go where the food is.

Get Smart,

Thank you for the tips. We have one small tree by the front of the house and that is where the black snakes decided it was a great place to live. We had about 5 or 6 of them. They get big, so my husband put them in trashbags and took them to the end of our street. We put in a pool this past Oct, and we have a large screened in area now out back. I don't have to go into the yard much, thank God. LOL....

Houndacres....OMG my ex bought him a 9mm for Christmas..that is a bit too much!! We have a 9mm and it has kick...he doesn't need a 9mm..

Hi Neighbor..Bern ..it just depends on where you are.. but I will tell you this..I use to live in Dunedin at a duplex.. we had a Pony Palm Tree..they are different than those tall ones..they are or at least this was smaler and the root ball was not growing underground..you could tip it up kinda well I was doing yard work and I was kneeling on ground & lost my balance & leaned on that tree under it was a Coral snake...I screamed bloody murder..it scared me so bad who would of thought.
Remember last year when the lady had the alligator in her kitchen.. that was down the road from me !!
http://www.abcactionnews.com/mostpo...-alligator-in-her/MGNiItlaX0C0oDjJP5kmxg.cspx

PINELLAS COUNTY, FL -- An Eastlake Woodlands woman made a beeline for the door when she saw what was next to her refrigerator Monday night.-----
Deputies believe the 8-foot 8-inch gator was after the family cat. It apparently broke through the back porch screen door, entered the home through an open sliding glass door, and then made its way in through the living room, down the hall, and into the kitchen.

OMG I remember that on TV. Did you see the one on the porch that had it's front foot or paw; whatever; on the doorbell. It was hilarious. Looked like it was ringing the bell to get in. The lady said it was banging it's tail against the front door and she went to answer it......LOL :eek:

Gators make for some good cooking, you skin it, especially the tail meat if you fry it with the right seasoning :)

Does anyone know if local LE check into JP or anyone else who may have a sealed mental health criminal history?
If anything just to eliminate possible suspects..

Put moth balls around the perimeter of your lawn to deter snakes. I don't know if it really works but I didn't see any snakes again after I did it. my 2 cents....:~)

My father lives in Florida and I visit there quite often. I have never seen any snakes ( not that I'd look for them). He lives by water and the gators hang out by the water on the golf course. I was shocked to see the locals playing golf AROUND the gators! They told me that they wouldn't bother me, as long as I didn't mess with them! Not going to test that theory! They did tell me to keep my dogs with me at all times and not leave them outside unsupervised. I think those little lizzard things that run around on the front porch are just as creepy! ewww!

Just because you don't see those snakes ..it don't mean they aren't there...LOL Here are some pics where I grew up

Attachments

• Elementary School.JPG
    Elementary School.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 83
  • gator on backwter.JPG
    gator on backwter.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 84
  • withlach..manat.JPG
    withlach..manat.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 86
OK you guys are going think I am nuts!!! But I found this page on the net!! Its too funny cause this is where i grew up.. and this link is a story written by someone from there.. i just laughed when i read it...
http://www.yankeetown.org/artists/threefish/fin.html

fin1.gif
A weekend destination for many in Inglis and the out-lying areas of the Levy county. A boy here could earn his soda money by keeping score for the weekend horseshoe match or selling his sister's Girl Scout cookies. And if he didn't pay attention, he could very easily get bit by a cotton mouth water moccasin, chased by a hungry backwater gator, or teased by some drunk old coot. The summers were too good to be true, catching stump-knockers on bread balls in the scorching blue afternoon and counting coots, the birds -- not the drunks, in their awkward take-offs and graceful flights. The two-plays-for-a-quarter juke box held The Oak Ridge Boys and Eddie Rabbit, which weren't too scratchy. On a good night there would be a local band on this local stage. Music for the people, by the people... the band would pull a kid out of the audience to work the thimbles on the washboard. And that rockabilly would shake the dusty mounted fish lining the walls with their cracked bravado of years past, and Carl and Marty and Schmitty would crack open them cans of Old Milwaukee and the cue ball would snap on the break and the hot breeze would rustle the pine trees and slam the screen door, and you almost couldn't hear the trucks without mufflers, banging their rusty doors and pinging that old Circle-K gasoline as they drove up in the dusky backwater hours.
--------------

here is also a copy of a post in the memories section....
Date: 01-03-08 13:29

Dear Brian,

I'm sure it was long ago when you posted your memories on ' Visions of Yankeetown'. Maybe it was a spontaneous thing and you don't even remember doing it. But, I have to say thank you so much.

I'm living in Canada and have been since 1981 but I grew up in Inglis and Yankeetown and being so far away, in a different country my childhood memories are referred to as 'weird'. No body here would ever truly believe that kids swam where gators lived, ran through the woods where wild boars, gopher turtles and black snakes lived. Swam at the spillway that today I wouldn't let my kids near. Went crabbing (the common response here is 'what the hell is that?') at the 'End of The Road'. The Glass House, The Rock Store, Yankeetown Elementary, Mr. Pulford, so many wonderful memories.

Thank you for the joy I experienced reading your message on this amazing web site I just found this morning.

Although it seems I'm older than many of the people who have written their memories here, the memories are the same as mine.

From my heart, thank you.

Cindy

GetSmart, I enjoyed reading it.
Those were the good ole days when children could be children and walk down dirt roads safely without a care in the world.
Sadly, those days are gone..leaving us only memories and stories to tell our grandchildren...:Bicicleta:

OK you guys are going think I am nuts!!! But I found this page on the net!! Its too funny cause this is where i grew up.. and this link is a story written by someone from there.. i just laughed when i read it...

fin1.gif
A weekend destination for many in Inglis and the out-lying areas of the Levy county. A boy here could earn his soda money by keeping score for the weekend horseshoe match or selling his sister's Girl Scout cookies. And if he didn't pay attention, he could very easily get bit by a cotton mouth water moccasin, chased by a hungry backwater gator, or teased by some drunk old coot. The summers were too good to be true, catching stump-knockers on bread balls in the scorching blue afternoon and counting coots, the birds -- not the drunks, in their awkward take-offs and graceful flights. The two-plays-for-a-quarter juke box held The Oak Ridge Boys and Eddie Rabbit, which weren't too scratchy. On a good night there would be a local band on this local stage. Music for the people, by the people... the band would pull a kid out of the audience to work the thimbles on the washboard. And that rockabilly would shake the dusty mounted fish lining the walls with their cracked bravado of years past, and Carl and Marty and Schmitty would crack open them cans of Old Milwaukee and the cue ball would snap on the break and the hot breeze would rustle the pine trees and slam the screen door, and you almost couldn't hear the trucks without mufflers, banging their rusty doors and pinging that old Circle-K gasoline as they drove up in the dusky backwater hours.
--------------

here is also a copy of a post in the memories section....
Date: 01-03-08 13:29

Dear Brian,

I'm sure it was long ago when you posted your memories on ' Visions of Yankeetown'. Maybe it was a spontaneous thing and you don't even remember doing it. But, I have to say thank you so much.

I'm living in Canada and have been since 1981 but I grew up in Inglis and Yankeetown and being so far away, in a different country my childhood memories are referred to as 'weird'. No body here would ever truly believe that kids swam where gators lived, ran through the woods where wild boars, gopher turtles and black snakes lived. Swam at the spillway that today I wouldn't let my kids near. Went crabbing (the common response here is 'what the hell is that?') at the 'End of The Road'. The Glass House, The Rock Store, Yankeetown Elementary, Mr. Pulford, so many wonderful memories.

Thank you for the joy I experienced reading your message on this amazing web site I just found this morning.

Although it seems I'm older than many of the people who have written their memories here, the memories are the same as mine.

From my heart, thank you.

Cindy

Wow, reminds me of a bar my sister used to go to a lot deep in South Carolina lol! It used to be an old gas station converted to a bar (old gas pumps were still outside, too), and they'd had a back room lined with picnic tables and benches and you could get a good family meal in before the bar drinking festivities went on.

Hello All~
I am posting this information from a local of the Weleetka / Henryetta, Oklahoma.

On Sunday, Feb 15th, 2009, there will be a prayer vigil held in honor of Taylor and Skyla. Numerous churches from the local area will be participating. The plan is to try and have enough people present at the Memorial site of Taylor and Skyla that the rural road where they were killed will be lined for 2 miles w/ participants of the prayer vigil. (the 2 miles consists of the former home of Taylor Placker down to the bridge). Local pastors will be leading prayer as well as individuals praying silently. The prayer is that whoever murdered these young ladies will be found and brought to justice.

In closing: Sunday, Feb. 15th @ 5:00, prayer vigil at the Memorial site of Taylor and Skyla. If you can not be at the vigil, it has been suggested that perhaps you could take a brief moment near 5:00 and pray for justice.

If there are any changes to this schedule, I will update this thread.

Flossie

Hello All~
I am posting this information from a local of the Weleetka / Henryetta, Oklahoma.

On Sunday, Feb 15th, 2009, there will be a prayer vigil held in honor of Taylor and Skyla. Numerous churches from the local area will be participating. The plan is to try and have enough people present at the Memorial site of Taylor and Skyla that the rural road where they were killed will be lined for 2 miles w/ participants of the prayer vigil. (the 2 miles consists of the former home of Taylor Placker down to the bridge). Local pastors will be leading prayer as well as individuals praying silently. The prayer is that whoever murdered these young ladies will be found and brought to justice.

In closing: Sunday, Feb. 15th @ 5:00, prayer vigil at the Memorial site of Taylor and Skyla. If you can not be at the vigil, it has been suggested that perhaps you could take a brief moment near 5:00 and pray for justice.

If there are any changes to this schedule, I will update this thread.

Flossie

Thank you, Flossie. I will be right here in NY, praying my heart out!

Thank you, Flossie. I will be right here in NY, praying my heart out!

Little just remember to pray at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time zone as Oklahoma is in Central time. I will also be praying and hopefully this prayer vigil will work!

Thanks so much for this info! I think I'm at 6pm too. Here in Indiana, we will be praying and lighting a candle for Skyla & Taylor. I am so glad to see some attention being brought to this case!!

Little just remember to pray at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time zone as Oklahoma is in Central time. I will also be praying and hopefully this prayer vigil will work!

Thanks, Lauren. I never even thought of that :doh:.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica1
Back