OFF TOPIC Chit-Chat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello Friends,
Just something to think about.
Today would have been Taylor's birthday.
I am curious to see how this fire started.
I just talked to a local. They say the fire is contained now.
I hope so.

Hi CC. Love you.

Oh my gosh! Taylor's Birthday! That does give one pause.

I love you, too, Flossie.

:( The sadness is just as palpable as the smoke still rising from the ruins.

"You know, even though the buildings were empty, you know it was my town," Wallace said. "This is my town. And I can't fathom coming to town now and seeing a big ol' gaping hole."

Wallace and others pray the hole will be filled with hope and the town scarred by murder and scorched by flames will soon bounce back.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=9960375

This one has a video: http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0309/601311.html

Ms Wallace's statement, "The sadness is just as palpable as the smoke still rising from the ruins.".... so poignant.

I am moved to write a note to her, the Moores, Chief Micco & the VFD, town council, the churches, bank & any others whose addresses I can find in whitepages.com. I hope others of you will do likewise; caring messages from afar will be wonderful encouragement for the good folks whose little town has another huge burden to endure.

Ms Moore's tearful comments broke my heart. She had heart & soul invested in her business. and the legendary chicken fried steak dinners..... I know you "walkers" are particularily saddened.... hugs to you.

I hope the businesses were adequately insured, but even so the fiscal loss is devastating to the municipal coffers. The Roundup Cafe was 2nd in sales tax revenues, so probably the grocery store was #1. That's a big hit for a small town. Weleetka will be in my prayers.

Happy birthday Taylor... we promise to continue seeking justice.

SS and noZme, thank you for your sweet comments! It is so achingly sad! It is a good idea to send notes of sympathy.

You really have to feel for the people in Weleetka. When you lose such an important part of the community such as the cafe where people congregate on a daily basis, they feel so displaced all of the sudden. For some, I would imagine it is the only contact they have with others each day. It is so hard on the elderly who depend on the cafe for meals, too. They get so used to a routine. :(

The notes of encouragement (or sympathy) sound like a great idea.

ETA: I would also watch for a donation fund to be set up soon by people in Weleetka. A lot of small town businesses don't carry adequate insurance due to the high cost.

I am one of those "everything happens for a reason" people. I also believe the goodwill of Oklahomans will come through once again for this small town. Maybe this will open new doors for Gail and the flower shop owner. If her chicken fried steaks are as good as everyone says they are...she could team up with the flower shop and reopen with a flair! Nothing says "Welcome" like fresh flowers and a great cup of coffee in the mornings followed by those hearty dishes later in the day!

SS:

About six moths ago I had a dream about Weleetka. However, it was a semi-unfamiliar Weleetka. The town had newer buildings, and semed to have more infrastructure and growth toward the southwest side of town. As for the the RoundUp's world famous chicken fried steaks. Yes, they were so big they kinda lopped off the edges of your plate, and kinda hogged the room for the mashed taters and cream gravy. MMMMM. When I would see Gail throught the kitchen window she reminded me of my mom. My mom was the cook there when it was Adkins Cafe in the early 70's. I used to see mom through the same little window workin' like a beaver. I feel a big piece of me has now been lost by this horrible fire. I know many Weleetkan's feel the same way.

Awww, I am so sorry for your loss and the fond memories which the fire has taken from you to look at physically. Tuck them away in your heart where they belong for safekeeping now.

Your dream of a "new" part of town will hopefully come true and everyone can build years of memories for their own children. There is always need for a change in a place that stays the same year after year. Sometimes, a "forced change" is the boost needed to move forward in the long run.

I have a feeling you haven't seen the last of those huge chicken fried steaks! Sounds delicious!!

I hope the businesses were adequately insured, but even so the fiscal loss is devastating to the municipal coffers. The Roundup Cafe was 2nd in sales tax revenues, so probably the grocery store was #1. That's a big hit for a small town. Weleetka will be in my prayers.

I was told by a local that the owner of the Round-Up had a minor amount of insurance. Not near enough to rebuild. The carpet store across the street, in business for 35 years, had no insurance. The windows of the businesses across the street broke out from the heat of the fire and smoke poured into the shops including the carpet store. When I mentioned perhaps having fundraisers for rebuilding, I was told that the towns people are tapped out from the fundraising for Taylor and Skyla. It is such a small town and by no means a wealthy one. Sad sad sad sad sad.

Well my dear ones ... I think we can "Round Up" some support for our adopted town. I did send an email to ole Nancy Grace.. lot of luck it will probably do. I want to start sending some word of this disaster out there. I want these folks to know that giving up is not an option and there are folks that are willing to help. How much more can this town go through. Hopefully there will be some bended knees in this area and they will surrender all of their pain and woes to the Lord and he will sort it all out and bless them 10 fold.

FYI... Taylor loved going to the Round Up and she was very fond of the Yummy Fried Catfish.

Attachments

• grouphugg.gif
    grouphugg.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 24
The more help we can get for them, the better, GS! I will do what I can! Maybe I can stir up some help from this little town I live in. Maybe Austin can help. I will contact Jim Spencer who is originally from Oklahoma. He is the main meteorologist at the NBC affiliate in Austin.

Weleetka1, I know this is sad for you! My heart goes out to you, because this is your town, too!

Weleetka1 I am very sorry for your loss.. I really dislike change when it happens like this !!

For those of you who would like to be "WOWed" by a pic of the HUGE Famous Chicken Fried Steak that is oh so Famous, here you go !!

Attachments

• chickenfrysteakRound Up.jpg
    chickenfrysteakRound Up.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the pic GS! Your pic fit my description perfectly. I talked with my Aunt Nettie in Okmulgee. She said her and my uncle went to the scene as soon as they heard about it. The wind was atrocious, and the smoke was blowing straight across the street (US75). Take care GS.

Thanks for the condolences ClayCat. If the RoundUp was the only place a passer-by ever stopped at in Weleetka, you would get a good feel for Weleetka folks. I would usually see someone I knew from the past there. I will more than likely be at the next Taylor and Skyla vigil, so probably June.

GiGi. I used to know a GiGi in Weleetka. You elequently said your Yorkie was a toot. My yorkie Buddy is a toot times two. Maybe it's time to contact ABC's Ty Penninton for an extreme makeover (replacement of the RoundUp). Gail and Ken are really good people.

GiGi. I used to know a GiGi in Weleetka. You elequently said your Yorkie was a toot. My yorkie Buddy is a toot times two. Maybe it's time to contact ABC's Ty Penninton for an extreme makeover (replacement of the RoundUp). Gail and Ken are really good people.

Ty Pennington! What a great idea! Maybe if we all contact him that would work! have they ever done a business make over? Maybe it is time???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj
Back