OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The suspect in the killing of nine people and injuring at least 16 others in a popular downtown area in Dayton, Ohio wore body armor.

The shooting happened after 1 a.m. ET as the suspect was making his way toward a bar called Ned Peppers.

The shooter has been shot dead by responding police officers

The motive for the shooting is still unknown.

Dayton, Ohio: Multiple fatalies in mass shooting - CNN

Yes from what I read shooter had a long gun. IMHO
Police have confirmed that the suspect is dead, his motive or identity have not yet been confirmed according to Dayton PDs official Twitter.
I found most of the more informative links (including DPDs) via the Heavy.com article as posted upthread:
Dayton Shooting Videos & Photos from the Scene [GRAPHIC] | Heavy.com
Local reporter Derek Myers (of note he is not with a major news org so not verified), tweeted several videos live from the scene after the shooting sheikh scene of first responders, etc. Some small other details reported that he had not yet verified with police, if interested follow link to Myers Twitter via heavy.com.(Content warning: while his don’t seem to be as graphic as others but do be aware with all of the videos out there)

Additionally, link to the NYTs article which reports 10 dead (including suspect) and at least 16 wounded.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/us/dayton-ohio-shooting.html

Finally, via Dayton PD official Twitter:
Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) | Twitter
#OregonDistrict #update Anyone who saw this incident or knows anything about it please call either 937-333-COPS or a hotline 937-225-6217 to assist us with this investigation
(DPD has been posting regular updates since the incident.)

Yes from what I read shooter had a long gun. IMHO
Police have confirmed that the suspect is dead, his motive or identity have not yet been confirmed according to Dayton PDs official Twitter.
I found most of the more informative links (including DPDs) via the Heavy.com article as posted upthread:
Dayton Shooting Videos & Photos from the Scene [GRAPHIC] | Heavy.com
Local reporter Derek Myers (of note he is not with a major news org so not verified), tweeted several videos live from the scene after the shooting sheikh scene of first responders, etc. Some small other details reported that he had not yet verified with police, if interested follow link to Myers Twitter via heavy.com.(Content warning: while his don’t seem to be as graphic as others but do be aware with all of the videos out there)

Also at the link, a witness describes the killer wearing noise cancelling headphones

"James was parked in front of Ned Peppers bar when the incident happened and described the incident and the suspect “We had an active shooter with an AR 15. Came up with an AR 15 with a vest on and ear muffs and just started blowing bullets everywhere…there are casualties everywhere. Outside Ned Peppers, there were at least eight victims. I don’t know how many people they took away from other locations… it’s awful.” He says he saw at least 8 dead victims in front of the bar."

Is there some sort of equipment checklist or tips these guys share online?:mad:

Additionally, link to the NYTs article which reports 10 dead (including suspect) and at least 16 wounded.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/us/dayton-ohio-shooting.html

Finally, via Dayton PD official Twitter:
Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) | Twitter
#OregonDistrict #update Anyone who saw this incident or knows anything about it please call either 937-333-COPS or a hotline 937-225-6217 to assist us with this investigation
(DPD has been posting regular updates since the incident.)

Thanks! It mentions the killer used an assault rifle AR-15.

Graphic video here w/ gunshots. Caution, language warning. Killer was getting in a lot of shots. Burst of gunfire at the end might have been LE response

Connor on Twitter

Quote from link above

"James was parked in front of Ned Peppers bar when the incident happened and described the incident and the suspect “We had an active shooter with an AR 15. Came up with an AR 15 with a vest on and ear muffs and just started blowing bullets everywhere…there are casualties everywhere. Outside Ned Peppers, there were at least eight victims. I don’t know how many people they took away from other locations… it’s awful.” He says he saw at least 8 dead victims in front of the bar."

Maybe these killers have some sort of equipment checklist they share online?

Last edited:
While I'm extremely thankful for all those law enforcement officers who go to work everyday willing to risk their lives for us, we shouldn't need to depend on a police force just so we can go out clubbing, shopping, or to school safely. This is getting out of hand!

Dayton, Ohio shooting leaves 9 dead, 16 wounded; suspect shot to death by cops, police say
SABBM:

Lt. Col. Matt Carper said at an early-morning press conference that the suspect was shot to death by responding officers.

"This is extremely unusual, obviously, for any community, let alone Dayton," Carper told reporters. "In our Oregon District, this is unheard of."

"We're trying to identify the motivation behind this," Carper told the station.

Video of the press conference by Lt. Carper earlier this morning at link.

9 dead, 26 injured in mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio

SABBM:

“If Dayton had not gotten to the shooter in less than a minute ... hundreds of people could be dead today,” Whaley said as she praised law enforcement for their quick response.

The shooter had a .223-caliber gun with high-capacity magazine and was wearing body armor, she said.

Police are working to identify the suspect and a possible motive.

Last edited:
While I'm extremely thankful for all those law enforcement officers who go to work everyday willing to risk their lives for us, we shouldn't need to depend on a police force just so we can go out clubbing, shopping, or to school safely. This is getting out of hand!
My minister's wife was on duty Highway Patrol. There are no reports of officers injured?

My minister's wife was on duty Highway Patrol. There are no reports of officers injured?

No, haven't seen or heard any. The only injured were bystanders. JMO, DeWine probably would have said something if officers were injured.

ETA: In Ohio, OHP usually doesn't patrol or respond to calls in cities. They're usually out on the major highways and roads and rural areas. At least that's the situation in NEO. You never see them up here until you're on the Turnpike or driving south on an interstate. Gov. DeWine has asked them to help with the investigation, though.

Last edited:
Ohio Highway Patrol wouldn’t be in the city. The highway patrol is responsible for enforcing traffic laws on the state’s roadways and proving security for state facilities.

They do assist in investigations but they wouldn’t have been on the scene.

Ohio Highway Patrol wouldn’t be in the city. The highway patrol is responsible for enforcing traffic laws on the state’s roadways and proving security for state facilities.

They do assist in investigations but they wouldn’t have been on the scene.
I'm trying to find the report where they were called to assist. I read it somewhere.

Dayton Mayor: If Dayton police had not gotten to the shooter in under a minute, hundreds of people could be dead today.

9 were killed, 16 injured in less than one minute. More time would have been so much worse.

Oregon District is a very crowded area on Saturday nights. Just unimaginable what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member