OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is concealed carry permitted there?
Summary of Ohio Gun Laws
Ohio is a shall-issue state with concealed weapons permits issued at the county level by the county sheriff in the applicant’s county of residence.

There is no permit, background check or firearms registration required when buying a handgun from a private individual.

Open carry is legal in Ohio without a permit except in vehicles or in businesses that sell alcohol. The minimum age for possession of a handgun is 21 years old. Some areas, including vehicles, are off-limits without a permit.

Concealed carry is legal with a license/permit. Residents 21 years of age and older can obtain an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL). They must have completed eight hours of firearms training and meet other criteria to qualify. A new law took effect on November 5, 2018 allowing current and former servicemen and women to obtain an Ohio CHL without paying the fee or going through a concealed carry class. Non-residents can obtain a CHL if they work in Ohio. In terms of reciprocity, Ohio will honor permits issued by any state or jurisdiction.

All of these shootings, especially being back to back, have left me scared to leave my house. I know anything can happen to anyone at anytime and that’s life, but mass shootings shouldn’t be a part of life. This breaks my heart.

I'm trying to find the report where they were called to assist. I read it somewhere.

The OEP assists with investigations when asked but they would not have been patrolling this area.

Governor Mike DeWine: "I have spoken with Mayor Nan Whaley and offered any assistance on behalf of the state. I have been briefed by the Ohio Department of Public Safety, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol has offered assistance to local law enforcement as they investigate this heinous act."

The OEP assists with investigations when asked but they would not have been patrolling this area.

Governor Mike DeWine: "I have spoken with Mayor Nan Whaley and offered any assistance on behalf of the state. I have been briefed by the Ohio Department of Public Safety, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol has offered assistance to local law enforcement as they investigate this heinous act."

I hope they identify this killer soon. Need to see if he's connected to others who could present a danger to the public. Apparently there's some question about whether he acted alone, though just rumors at this point.

A spokesperson shown on SkyNews said,
"If Dayton police had not gotten to the suspect in under a minute...hundreds of people...could be dead today."
go back ~44 minutes for that, it's live.
I truly believe the “hundreds of people” comments. This area is absolutely packed on weekend evenings. Sometimes we have to park many blocks away and walk as all the parking is completely full.

I truly believe the “hundreds of people” comments. This area is absolutely packed on weekend evenings. Sometimes we have to park many blocks away and walk as all the parking is completely full.
This terrifies me. There's not always going to be LE nearby.
Also, this would rank as 25th most deadliest, along with the Santa Fe school shooting last year.
Mass shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

Thanks! It mentions the killer used an assault rifle AR-15.

Graphic video here w/ gunshots. Caution, language warning. Killer was getting in a lot of shots. Burst of gunfire at the end might have been LE response

Connor on Twitter

Quote from link above

"James was parked in front of Ned Peppers bar when the incident happened and described the incident and the suspect “We had an active shooter with an AR 15. Came up with an AR 15 with a vest on and ear muffs and just started blowing bullets everywhere…there are casualties everywhere. Outside Ned Peppers, there were at least eight victims. I don’t know how many people they took away from other locations… it’s awful.” He says he saw at least 8 dead victims in front of the bar."

Maybe these killers have some sort of equipment checklist they share online?

I find it uncanny that this mass shooter also had ear protective covers on just like the El Paso mass shooter did yesterday.

From what I can recall I dont remember prior mass shooters having them on.

It does make me wonder if this was a copy cat killing by another evil person who wanted his own notoriety since he saw the EP shooter getting night, and day coverage nationwide.

Imo

I find it uncanny that this mass shooter also had ear protective covers on just like the El Paso mass shooter did yesterday.

It does make me wonder if this was a copy cat killing by another evil person who wanted his own notoriety since he saw the EP shooter getting night, and day coverage nationwide.

Imo

I hate it when the media reports “10th worst mass shooting in US history” or gives undue attention to the shooter. It could potentially seem like a challenge to someone with a sick mind.

This is terrible...sad news. Three shootings within a week. California, El Paso, Dayton...30 or more lives lost.
Heartbreaking news. My thoughts & prayers are with the families and also our nation as we process this news and figure out how to prevent another event like this.

Imo

ITA on the ear muffs. As another poster wondered, is there something going on with the dark net?

It doesn't require a lot of planning to carry these deplorable acts out. Many already have the neccessary tools like the gun, the protective covers, and ammo. Vests can be purchased easily on the internet.

So I'm not convinced this wasnt a copy cat killer who was consumed with reading about EP on social media.

Imo, a lot of these mass shooters are raging narcisstist misfit loners who have done nothing with their lives yet yearn for notoriety, and fame even if it's to be imfamously known for their horrific bad acts.

Imo

I remember reading after one mass shooting (can’t remember which one, there have been so many) investigations revealed that the shooter had compiled a list of the worst shooting incidents and number of victims, ranked in order. His internet search history included names of the shooters and number of fatalities. Any doubt that he wanted to make the top of the list?

Almost time to pillory the death merchants

Imo
I'm doubting the event can be called "copycat" because the shooter may have worn ear protection, as did the one in El Paso, particularly as we don't have any idea if the other 250+ mass shooters this year did or did not wear them.

And even if they all did, I'm doubting the events could necessarily be called "copycat."

Almost time to pillory the death merchants

I'm doubting the event can be called "copycat" because the shooter may have worn ear protection, as did the one in El Paso, particularly as we don't have any idea if the other 250+ mass shooters this year did or did not wear them.

Wearing ear protection also doesn't seem like a "suicide by cop" scenario, either. Seems he wouldn't care about protecting his hearing if he's planning to go out in a gunfight.

Wonder how he got there? Have they found the car he was driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MothSí