OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The solving of the Jacob Wetterling case, as devestating as it was, has given a lot of people hope for getting these prominent aduction cases solved. I think this case is chief among them, a horrifying story that demands closure and answers. I have a good feeling about next year...

Why does LE always wait way too long to release information like this. Something like the curtain description could have been vital in the weeks/months after the abduction, but releasing it 27 years later doesn't do much good.

I know they like to protect the investigation but I don't see how the curtains could have jepordized anything with the case.

Thank you Sutton. I see he has removed all references to suspects in the case. He must have been advised by a legal team to do so.

This site still names suspects. I'm curious to see a photo of the S.T. person on the list. https://crimeshop.org/tag/dean-runkle/

Read the link above. Since everyone in northeast Ohio at that time resembled the sketch, I thought I would throw another one in. Does anyone think this age regression looks like th sketch:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...alias-Joseph-Newton-Chandler-III-Jul-02/page7

View attachment 106387View attachment 106388

Looks interesting, but that sketch is an approximation of what Chandler looked like in the 1970's. He would have looked much older at the time of Amy's kidnapping. Anything is possible, though.

Also, from the link above, https://crimeshop.org/tag/dean-runkle/ a local dentist has been discussed as a suspect in this case. The person mentioned was my landlord and dentist way back in the late 70's. He was a kind of creepy guy, but definitely doesn't fit the sketch. Had a receding hairline back in the 70's, probably near bald by the time Amy was kidnapped. JMO

I think there's quite a strong similarity between Joseph Newton Chandler and the artist drawing of the suspect. Plus, both were in Ohio.

There's zero evidence that Chandler was involved in any kind of criminal activity. People floated the craziest theories regarding Lori Ruff for years and when she was finally identified, it turned out she was simply an unhappy woman escaping from an unhappy home life. Until we find out who this guy is, it's a real leap to try and connect him to acts of violence.

I worked for Social Security and encountered several people who had established new identities and then lived under them for years. One person did it to dodge a bad driving record, the others did it to avoid alimony or child support. None appeared to have any criminal motive.

Prior to about 1980, with a little knowledge and planning, setting up a new identity with a "good" Social Security Number was not that difficult. Most people who did it just lived out their life, and death under the new identity. There is little doubt many criminals did this as well, but fingerprints would trip them up if they were arrested under their new identities.

Since 1980 or so, it is extremely difficult to pull this of but no doubt some still find ways to do it.

There's zero evidence that Chandler was involved in any kind of criminal activity. People floated the craziest theories regarding Lori Ruff for years and when she was finally identified, it turned out she was simply an unhappy woman escaping from an unhappy home life. Until we find out who this guy is, it's a real leap to try and connect him to acts of violence.

Well, obv. But you could make the same argument about any criminal before they're caught.

The fact that he made steps to remove his fingerprints points fairly strongly to the idea that he was running from the law.

I'm interested to know more details about the phone call Amy made to her mom after she was with the man. I belyshe called from a grocery store.

Did she call from outside or inside the store? What did she say to her mom? Were there any witnesses who gave a description? What time did she call at?

3 cold cases that haunted 2016
Law enforcement investigators are hoping the new year can generate new leads, as some of the region’s most perplexing cold cases continue to go unsolved.

On the homepage for the FBI Cleveland office, Amy Mihaljevic’s picture is still front and center. The 10-year old was murdered 27 years ago.

Well, obv. But you could make the same argument about any criminal before they're caught.

The fact that he made steps to remove his fingerprints points fairly strongly to the idea that he was running from the law.

For years, people have made all sorts of unfounded claims about this guy: he was the Zodiac Killer, he was D.B. Cooper, etc. Until there's evidence to support any of these wild allegations, I'm going to go ahead and stick with the presumption of innocence because labeling an old man with no known criminal history (he lived quietly under the Chandler name for quite some time) who died alone a serial killer/pedophile in the absence of evidence is kind of gross.

Sometimes people just want to start over for reasons that are innocent and entirely their own.

Ohio attorney general and the bureau of criminal identification & investigation just broke a huge serial abductor case using a groundbreaking technique. I saw a post in the thread suggesting the DNA found under Amy's fingernails were corrupted for the general database but could be checked against a suspect. Familial DNA broke this most recent case from the Cleveland area over the summer. The suspects brothers DNA created the match leading to the arrest. Familial DNA checks could be the possible smoking gun in this case.

Yes, it was in the last couple of months. The Cleveland/Elyria cases. Thread here at WS is under the Cleveland minor's initials

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for interrupting.

Websleuths is in trouble.

Please read what's going clicking on the Websleuths Account.

Thank you very much.

Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

Wanted to give some weather history to ponder. Could not find Ashland, Ohio. So I am using cleveland. There was a lot of talk about whether there was snow on the ground. I know aAshland can have weather that's quite different, but at least this is a start.

IMG_2182.jpgIMG_2177.jpgIMG_2178.jpgIMG_2180.jpgIMG_2181.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim