OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Good thing they're checking this, but I agree with Chief Spaetzel, it's probably a long shot.

One comment in the article surprised me a little:

"Chief Spaetzel says his department would make sure that Nichols was even in the Cleveland area at the time of Amy's disappearance before even considering going to the expense of trying to do DNA testing."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this comment, but whose DNA testing is the Chief referring to? Nichols' DNA is already in the system. Is he saying that BVPD has a sample from Amy's killer that could be tested for DNA? If so, why haven't they spent the money to do a DNA profile of that evidence?

If they have Amy's killer's DNA already, it shouldn't cost anything to run a comparison against Nichols' DNA. Am I missing something here?

Also, if they have DNA from Amy's killer and it isn't Nichols, why don't they go the Parabon route and check familial DNA? Bay Village is small, but it's a well-to-do community. I'm sure they could afford that.

ETA: From Amy's Wiki page

Mitochondrial DNA from the crime scene was sampled, which may be used in the future to compare to suspects.[6]

As I thought, they do have DNA from the killer, but it sounds like they've never tried to compare it to any other suspects? And now they're worrying about the cost of having to do that? Wow. I'm shocked.

Authorities investigating the decades-old disappearances of several girls say they've found possible evidence during a search of an abandoned suburban Detroit warehouse.

The warehouse was formerly used by Arthur Ream, 67, who was found guilty of the 1986 murder of Cindy Zazycki in 1998.

Possible evidence in missing girls case found at warehouse | Daily Mail Online

I wondered if Arthur Ream has ever been looked at in Amy’s case.

Another good podcast about Amy. This one is concise and summarizes the known facts very well.

Ep67 - Amy Mihaljevic from True Crime All The Time Unsolved

Amy's case can be a little complicated. The kidnapping and events leading up to it were somewhat complex. The later discovery of her body and other information and theories revealed over the years adds a little to the complexity. So listening to a podcast like the TCAT one above might be helpful for some.

Looks like the investigators on this case may be planning to pursue use of familial DNA to identify Amy's killer

New technology could aide in the search for Amy Milhaljevic’s killer

Looks like James Renner is pushing it. He says there is a hair from the killer that was found on Amy's body. Sounds like it would be a good source of DNA. No official response from investigators, but Renner says they're already working with the professional genealogists.

Looks like the investigators on this case may be planning to pursue use of familial DNA to identify Amy's killer

New technology could aide in the search for Amy Milhaljevic’s killer

Looks like James Renner is pushing it. He says there is a hair from the killer that was found on Amy's body. Sounds like it would be a good source of DNA. No official response from investigators, but Renner says they're already working with the professional genealogists.

Good post and good information. Lets hope they get the killer because whoever it was had a vile sense of humour.

Good post and good information. Lets hope they get the killer because whoever it was had a vile sense of humour.

It's rather disappointing to read that Renner thinks it will be solved within the next year. They should be able to get an answer within six months. I hope they've already tested the hair for DNA. Bay Village can be odd when it comes to these matters. City leaders may be worried that the killer might have been someone from BV or who worked in the schools, at a local church, etc. They may fear that information becoming public more than they wish to solve this case. JMO

It's rather disappointing to read that Renner thinks it will be solved within the next year. They should be able to get an answer within six months. I hope they've already tested the hair for DNA. Bay Village can be odd when it comes to these matters. City leaders may be worried that the killer might have been someone from BV or who worked in the schools, at a local church, etc. They may fear that information becoming public more than they wish to solve this case. JMO

Let's hope as we say the case is solved is soon for her Dad mainly and the other Mark's involved like that deticated detective. My feeling is it will not be a nice ending just some lunatic pretending to be a teacher type.

Sorry vile sense of humour is an understatement. Absolutely wicked beyond most peoples comprehension.

Thanks for liking my post Greg. I hope this post does not cause me trouble on this this board as I am only trying to give my opinions and beliefs. I believe your namesake and my fellow country person Laura Richards was wrong when she accused Burke of Killing JonBenet. The point I want to make here is the killer killed Amy's Mum as well who drunk herself to death. <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope as we say the case is solved is soon for her Dad mainly and the other Mark's involved like that deticated detective. My feeling is it will not be a nice ending just some lunatic pretending to be a teacher type.

Just one more post from me for the moment about the case and then I will read all of the other posts with interest. I meant dedicated detective of course. the one who had Amy in his safety class. I know who I would put forward as a possible suspect as he certainly had a vile sense of humour.

Just one more post from me for the moment about the case and then I will read all of the other posts with interest. I meant dedicated detective of course. the one who had Amy in his safety class. I know who I would put forward as a possible suspect as he certainly had a vile sense of humour.
I’m intrigued??

Wow, Renner sounds very very confident. I guess I trust that he knows what he is talking about. Those poor ladies in California must be absolutely inundated with cases from around the world. Hopefully they can teach others their technique so a bunch of cases can be worked.

10-Year-Old Girl Heads to a Store After School, Then Vanishes — Months Later, Her Body Is Found (with clip)

"The mystery of Amy Mihaljevic’s murder starts with a trip to the store.

But 29 years later, who she met there and why remain anyone’s guess.

On Oct. 27, 1989, the 10-year-old walked after school to the Bay Village Square shopping center in the well-to-do Cleveland suburb of Bay Village, a bedroom community with expansive Lake Erie as its northern border.

Spotted outside of a business, Amy appeared to be waiting for someone when a man reportedly approached, put his hand on her shoulder and walked her through the parking lot, according to the FBI.

Then she vanished....

A neighbor of the Mihaljevic family brought his stepdaughter, “a good friend of Amy’s,” to the police station where the girl made a startling claim, recalls Jim Thompkins, then a detective with the Bay Village police, in the new documentary special The Lake Erie Murders: Who Killed Amy Mihaljevic?

The doc premieres Sunday night on Investigation Discovery. An exclusive clip is above....

The Lake Erie Murders: Who Killed Amy Mihaljevic? airs Sunday (10 p.m. ET) on Investigation Discovery...."

10-Year-Old Girl Heads to a Store After School, Then Vanishes — Months Later, Her Body Is Found

amy-mihaljevic-e8efad7c48089fb8.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-Year-Old Girl Heads to a Store After School, Then Vanishes — Months Later, Her Body Is Found (with clip)

"The mystery of Amy Mihaljevic’s murder starts with a trip to the store.

But 29 years later, who she met there and why remain anyone’s guess.

On Oct. 27, 1989, the 10-year-old walked after school to the Bay Village Square shopping center in the well-to-do Cleveland suburb of Bay Village, a bedroom community with expansive Lake Erie as its northern border.

Spotted outside of a business, Amy appeared to be waiting for someone when a man reportedly approached, put his hand on her shoulder and walked her through the parking lot, according to the FBI.

Then she vanished....

A neighbor of the Mihaljevic family brought his stepdaughter, “a good friend of Amy’s,” to the police station where the girl made a startling claim, recalls Jim Thompkins, then a detective with the Bay Village police, in the new documentary special The Lake Erie Murders: Who Killed Amy Mihaljevic?

The doc premieres Sunday night on Investigation Discovery. An exclusive clip is above....

The Lake Erie Murders: Who Killed Amy Mihaljevic? airs Sunday (10 p.m. ET) on Investigation Discovery...."

10-Year-Old Girl Heads to a Store After School, Then Vanishes — Months Later, Her Body Is Found

amy-mihaljevic-e8efad7c48089fb8.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this brings some much needed tips. I wonder when it will be shown in the U.K.

Hope this brings some much needed tips. I wonder when it will be shown in the U.K.

Interesting article and good to see the case still being looked at. To me the clue to finding the killer is his warped sense of humour. Or perhaps better put vile sense of humour. In my opinion the killer also had a lot of patience and enjoyed the planning of the crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back